“Best Chinese in Cambridge!”
Review of Hotpot - CLOSED

Hotpot
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I lived in Cambridge for years without going to this place and I seriously feel I missed out! After trying it once, it became my go to for Chinese and for take-away period! It is easy to miss, but once you go once, you'll realize you've been missing a hidden treasure. The woman who runs it is charming, warm, considerate and remembers all of her customers (and their back stories).

The food is always prepared fresh and is fantastic! The salt and pepper squid (or prawns) are so tasty and just the right amount of hot, the wonton soup is out of this world and the cashew chicken is fabulous. I don't eat duck any more, but when my boyfriend orders the duck noodles it is almost physically painful to resist!

I've since moved away from Cambridge and go back every single time I visit...and the owner always remembers me!

5  Thank SJL069

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I'm totally happy to stand by my previous excellent review. My last visit was a Chinese New Year Banquet, an annual event Kaling puts on by invitation for her regulars, and once again it was superb. I've never experienced anything other than a warm welcome, but perhaps if somebody wanders in thinking the owner is a waitress, possibly displaying an "attitude", it could explain a few things.

The restaurant's appearance is outdated, but I have never known it to be dirty. For food and overall value like this, it's a tradeoff I'll make every time, and it won't be long before I'm there again.

6  Thank Rick_Cambridge_76
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I can't believe the high rating of this place - from the pictures it is the same place but I definitely had a different experience. I found the place very outdated and dirty. The lady who served us was rude and we seemed an inconvenience to her. We had ordered food to take away and paid, the Waitress then came back to say they had run out of rice so she suggested we have a different kind of rice but wanted to charge us extra - it was only 30p or so but as they had run out of a basic Chinese food they wouldn't have charged us the extra. The food we ordered was ok - just front of house Issues mean I would not go again.

1  Thank S-M4X
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

We've had takeaways and the occasional sit down meal at the Hotpot for years.

The food is good and the nearest I have found to the same dishes served in Malaysia and Singapore (where I lived for some years). Service is always friendly and pretty quick

The only downside is the ambience of the restaurant. I'm sure that with a bit of a makeover front of house, the ratings would climb fast

2  Thank Jonathan C
Reviewed August 24, 2012

As with other reviewers, our family has been eating at the Hotpot for many, many years! The owner once told me that over 80% of her business is from 'regulars'. This should tell you something! The food is wonderful.

I think it's fair to say the decor and loo's aren't brilliant, so don't go expecting a formal Michelin experience, that's not what the Hotpot is. The Hotpot is a cosy family restaurant where you can relax, be informal, and eat some bloomin' good food.

5  Thank championofthethames