“Nice place”

Regency Guest House
Ranked #89 of 123 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Sounds like some previous reviewers are a bit unfamiliar with Cambridge and the fact it is an old city with old buildings! I speak as someone who lived there for three years. I'd stay here again - much better than previous B&Bs I have used elsewhere in the city. This place is ideally located, about 10-15 minutes walk from both the station and the historic centre. It overlooks Parker's Piece - the largest green space in the city apart from the Backs. Our room had a lovely bay window looking over the Autumnal trees and common. It was spacious, warm and clean. The digital radio was broken, but the digital TV served in lieu. Pillows a bit lumpy, mattress quite soft. Shared bathroom down some steps - clean, underfloor heating but drafty when the window left open. Reasonably good shower with counterintuitive temperature control. Agree the staircases are a bit twisty and floors uneven - it's an old building. No communal areas apart from the Breakfast room, but all seemed well-kept. Breakfast was continental and OK but not outstanding. No-one at reception - access provided by a code at the front door and key on the landing, but that's OK. Agree slightly noisy overnight, but mostly because it was windy and the leaves outside were rustling; nowhere in central Cambridge will be very quiet. Overall, pretty good.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank iainsouthern
There are newer reviews for Regency Guest House

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We tried to stay at the associated regency apartments. Entry was very difficult and the staircase down was only suitable for below average sized people. The apartment was very damp and musty and the floor was massively distorted by damp. It was technically no doubt unfit for human habitation. We were given a refund, however, we incurred time and cost by having to transfer to another hotel. Avoid until this is sorted.

Room Tip: Avoid this property until refurbed or until management changes
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank reiver59
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We booked this Bed and breakfast for its location which is great but unfortunately nothing else was as good. The entrance and the stairways were in disrepair. Our bedroom was on the top floor with an ensuite bathroom. It was not spacious but perfectly adequate and the bed was comfortable, although there were some dubious stains on the sheet! the shower was falling off the wall, the French doors were taped shut, the windows were dirty and didn't fasten properly and the blinds were filthy. And then the marmalade at breakfast was mouldy and there was no cooked breakfast offered. Might have been passable if there had been a good continental breakfast spread but there wasn't. Shame as the location is great.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kerry C
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Stayed for 1 night. Location good. That's where compliments end. No staff present when I arrived, very noisy outside and inside door continuesly slamming through the night and struggled to get more then a few hours sleep.

Overpriced and more car would have provided a better nights sleep.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank russboake
Reviewed July 21, 2012

The hotel has exceeded my expectations. When I booked the hotel, I thought it would be a kind of those hotels with old furniture and not always clean rooms. I am glad that I was mistaken. In the reality the hotel appeared to be very cosy. The rooms were tiny and did not have bathrooms. At the same time, they were clean and had taps and sinks in there. There are enough bathrooms in the hotel - at least I have never seen people lining up near them. Breakfast did not have the variety one can get in a five star hotel, but was quite tasty.

A small piece of advice for those who will book this hotel: do not lose the e-mail you will receive after your booking, as it will contain important information regarding accessing the hotel. Also, do not forget destroying that e-mail should you print it out - nobody wants this information to be obtained by strangers. Also, staircases there are steep, so the hotel may be not suitable for disabled people.

To summarize, I think that the quality of the hotel was great for the price paid.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My partner and I stayed here for one night last month. Our first impression was not good - when we telephoned to ask about parking, the phone was answered by a woman who just said "yes?" as opposed to any welcoming greeting! It was not very professional and she was not very helpful as to where I could park. I should also say that this was probably my fifth attempt to get anyone to answer the telephone at all.
When we arrived (at the time listed on the website) we had to wait about 10 minutes for the (owner?) to saunter along to give us our key. We received no apology for this wait. The room was generally okay although not the cleanest or best appointed for the money. The window did not close properly and so blew open and closed all night.
Nobody was available at check out for us to express our disappointment. Would not recommend and the whole affair seemed very unprofessional - I presume it's a hobby for the owner.

Room Tip: Go for an ensuite at the top - the shared bathrooms looked very unclean.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jpw456
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Really enjoyed my stay at Regency House. I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. They went out of their way to assist me with my dietary needs which was very much appreciated. The room itself was a decent size and had good facilities including a digital radio. Obviously I would have liked to have an en-suite bathroom but the bathroom was a couple of steps down the hall and was clean and modern. Everything was clean and well-furnished. The hotel had a good atmosphere. Admittedly, the walls are thin but this is often the case in old buildings. I didn't experience any noise from outside and was able to sleep well. I don't know what the bad reviews are talking about as I had a very positive experience. The location is also excellent, only a few minutes from the centre and near lots of restaurants and a nice park.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business