“Fine for the night, just a few issues”

Holiday Inn Cambridge
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stayed for 1 night for a business trip, in an executive room. The hotel is about 15mins from central Cambridge, with views of grassy paddocks and a lake on one side. Right next to the motorway, so good links if driving. Check-in was quick, then a long walk to our rooms. There is a nice looking indoor swimming pool & Jacuzzi, which I didn't have time to use.

Once in my room, it was generally clean & well presented. Unfortunately the bathroom had hairs on the floor & on the wash top (see pic). The mirrors & everything else looked spotless though.

Good points:

- Large TV
- Choice of pillows in room
- Sofa & coffee table in room
- mini bar & free kit kat
- clothes press, iron, safe & hairdryer
- children's play area

Bad points:

- Tried turning heating up, but sign said it was centrally controlled. Very cold in bed at night.
- Decaf coffee, but no decaf or herbal tea
- Shower temperature warm, but certainly not hot
- Could hear people upstairs walking around
- No plug socket near bedside tables. I use my phone as an alarm clock, so had to charge this on the wall opposite the bed & sit phone on the floor. Not ideal to have to jump out of bed to turn the alarm off in the morning
- Bed was an adequate size, but hotels of similar standard have larger, more comfortable beds

Breakfast provided a good selection of hot food, pastries, fruit & breads, but I would have liked some prunes. There is a pancake making machine which produced fluffy pancakes. The maple syrup bottles were both almost empty & covered in sticky syrup all over. Shame they weren't in another container, or been wiped over beforehand.

On check out I mentioned the bathroom hairs & a colleague told them about an out bulb in her room. The receptionist noted them down & apologised. Overall the stay was fine, just a few things that didn't make it perfect.

1  Thank dalton1skiing
Robin H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a detailed review of our hotel, and I am pleased you had a good stay with some minor issues which I have shared with the team here.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge again in the future.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Met up with a couple of friends here, the receptionist where very helpful, the room was very clean and although there where 3 of us in one room it was a good size, and the bed was very comfortable.

The down side was we had to eat in the foyer as they had a function in the restaurant when booking in we where told we could still use the restaurant menu but when we went for our evening meal we where then told we had to use the bar menu and so left us with not much of a choice?

Great choice at breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Guest
Thank you for review, and I am pleased you found the room comfortable. I have shared your feedback with regards to dinner with our Food and Beverage Manager to have more. choice in future in these circumstances.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Popular and busy for business people working in Cambridge , hence the price of £145 with breakfast. Stayed in many Holiday inn hotels and this is the most expensive ive ever paid. The hotel is very good and the staff helpful. Room was big and clean , no problems. My only gripe is I was told on arrival that as I IHG member that the wifi was free but on checking out was told I had to pay. Paying £145 a night wifi should be free.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and I am pleased you the staff helpful. Our wifi is free for IHG Platinum and Gold members with other offers following this year.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Apparently this used to be a Forte Posthouse Hotel, now Holiday Inn. Location is fine for business just off the A14 but it is a 10 min/£10-12 taxi ride from centre of Cambridge. Hotel positives are nice open reception/bar area, modern gym (albeit the equipment is too crammed in) and spa. Negatives are price £145 room only seems high, no free wifi (£5/hour, £10/4 hours or £16/24 hours) and no room safes. My room also had a damaged plug socket and peeling paint on the ceiling.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you liked the open plan aspect of the hotel, With regards to wifi, we offer it Free of charge to our IHG Rewards Platinum and Gold members with further offers coming in the future. I have also reported your room faults with our Maintenance team.

Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

I was so impressed with my stay on 2nd March. The reception staff were very helpful (Claire G your so lovely!!)
The family room was huge compared to others I've stayed in! Was very clean and nicely presented! The bath was absolutely baking on the hottest setting (perfect!!). The mattress was fab! Best nights sleep in ages!
The pool area and jacuzzi looked nice, I didn't get time to use it but it certainly looked very clean!!! The bar staff were friendly too! Nice views!
First visit to Cambridge but if/when I return Would definitely stay here again!!
A well managed hotel Daniel!! Lovely!

• Stayed: March 2014
Robin H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your great review and feedback and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

One night stopover on way to Norwich.
Pleasant checkin and bar staff. Bar area clean and tidy.
Room very dated and tired paintwork decor. Especially noticeable in bathroom.
Noisy from above at 2am but appreciate that can happen anywhere especially at weekends.

Had to leave too early for breakfast.

Stayed: February 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your time to review our hotel and I appreciate your feedback. We hope to be having a bedroom refurbishment sometime this year.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

About 20 min taxi ride from town, situated near fields and with a view of a lake. Rooms are better sized than I expected and furnished to a reasonable standard. Bathrooms are old and dated but the beds are comfortable and the gym and pool are above a hotel usual standard.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Robin H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you found the bedrooms a good size and you enjoyed the Health club.