“A good base for the family”

Holiday Inn Cambridge
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Although located off the A14 on the outskirts of Cambridge, this hotel is a really good base for a night or two. Two park & rides are close too so if you are visiting the city centre, it's really convenient. The pool is good after a busy time sight-seeing and breakfast was excellent. Very clean but some repairs needed (e.g. showers in the pool's ladies changing room & mould around our bath). Brilliant staff member was great with our children at breakfast. Our bedroom was plenty big enough for two adults and two children - but the bathroom was quite small for a family.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Samantha R
Julie O, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and I am pleased your family found the hotel to be convenient for sightseeing in Cambridge and that you enjoyed our pool and breakfast. I have discussed the maintenance issues with the team to resolve.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Cambridge

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Phone calls cost an exorbitant amount. Do not phone. You cannot book by email so the only solution is book online. That is fine until you realise that the TOTAL cost is not shown, only the cost for one night. It was not until I saw the confirmation that is discovered the true cost. I am not on an expense account so will not be staying there!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Julie O, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and I am very sorry that you experienced difficulties in making your reservation. We do offer flexible rates throughout the year and advance purchase rates. I hope you would consider the Holiday Inn Cambridge again in the future and I would be happy to assist with the reservation if you contact me direct at the hotel.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Easy access off the A14, plenty of free car parking. Room was paid for by a business account, but the rack rate of c£200 seems very high. Room was a good standard, spacious, full size bath with shower. TV had a good selection of channels including Sky 1. Charges for extra TV and wifi were far too high for such a hotel. Had dinner on one night and although the food was good, it was expensive and the service was incredibly slow. The Spirit Health Club was an added bonus, open until 10pm (last entry at 9pm), with a good gym, plus pool with spa, steam room and sauna. The one evening I visited there were a lot of children, and as they were allowed in the spa, sauna etc it was rather frenetic, but the next evening was quieter. Pool has one section roped off for serious swimming.

Room Tip: Was upgraded to an executive room, but they didn't seem much different from the standard rooms f...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Julie O, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive review, we take all our reviews seriously and share them with the team. We do offer flexible rates and our Wifi charges are now free for our IHG rewards Elite members. I am pleased you found the Spirit club to be an added bonus.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We were there for one night and our stay was comfortable. The one moan I have is the Wifi. I feel that there should not be a charge for using Wifi as the price you pay for the room is quite high. On a positive note, we had a good dinner and the service was excellent. Also, the chips my husband ordered which came with the steak was mouthwateringly delicious. I haven't had such beautifully cooked chips in ages. The service at the front desk was also good.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and especially the chips! Our Wifi is now free to our IHG rewards elite members and further offers will follow.
I hope you will consider Holiday Inn Cambridge again in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I did not stay at the hotel on this occasion but I was there to use the Spirit Health Club facilities.
I was not impressed with the greeting I received at the reception to the club.As it was my first time I found myself stumbling over what to ask for, the response was disapointing, an introduction of what was available was not forth coming I was not offered a towel and was given the smallest piece of paper with a pass code on to access the changing rooms.once inside you needed a pound coin for the lockers with was returnable but this was not explained on arrival lucky I had one. The pool was ok in size but would benefit from a good scrub as green algae was visible in more than one place there was a hot tub which was HOT maybe a bit much for some but I did like it,there was a steam room and a sauna these I did not use.While their I had a facial and back massage which was excellent.It was a pamper day gift from my son for christmas,I dont think anyone attending these facilities will get that feeling .Just a friendlier and more helpful greeting would be a start .

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Julie O, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and I apologise for the lack of welcome and service from our staff in the Health Club this is not normal and the Spirit Club Manager is taking steps to resolve this happening again. They have recently completed a deep clean of the pool, but some tiles are stained, not algae, and this will be resolved when the pool in emptied and acid washed in November.
I hope you will consider visiting the Spirit Health Club @ Holiday Inn Cambridge again in the future.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Very comfortable rooms, easy access but not such good directions, and plenty of free parking.
Facilities for business were good but I was glad I wasn't footing the bill. Why is Wifi so expensive? The rooms rates are high enough
If you're visiting Cambridge as a tourist you would need to drive in, unless there's a shuttle, as it is some way out.
If you use room service make clear that you expect what it says on the menu, you will certainly pay for it.

Room Tip: Ground floor room was very quiet
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Julie O, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and your feedback is very much appreciated. Our wifi charges are changing next week 1st July with it being offered Free to our Priority Club platinum and gold members and further offers will follow.
I hope to wlecome you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge again in the future.

Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for works team building event. Venue clean and tidy. Comfortable bed with choice of soft and firm pillows. Good pool in health club which was complimentary. Very good full English breakfast.

All in all not bad but not walking distance to cambridge town centre only negative

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive review and I am pleased you found the hotel clean and tidy.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge in the future.