“Clean and Friendly” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Woking, United Kingdom
“Clean and Friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful, allowing us to check in early and giving us directions for best getting into the city centre.

The room was clean and reasonably modern, with plenty of space and a decent selection of tv channels. The bed was a little on the soft side for me, but I appreciate this is my own preference and they are probably fine for most people

The breakfast was a little pricey, but the food was fresh and the quality was very good.

Altogether I was very pleased with the hotel and would consider staying again when returning to Cambridge.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Julie O, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I was pleased to read that our Staff were friendly and helpful, the bedroom was clean and spacious and that the breakfast was good quality and fresh.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge in the future.

Wayne Morris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Hucknall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

I stayed here recently for business and use of the academy for a course the following day.
The check in was uneventful with no issues of adding in my PC number.
The room itself was nice, with the sofa and table being available to relax on rather than the bed or desk chair.
The bed was comfortable and never have any issues sleeping at Holiday Inn hotels.
The wifi prices were a little expensive considering most of the other Holiday Inns I stay in either have complimentary wifi for all guests or Priority Club members.
On check out there was some confusion with the reception staff as to how the room was being settled, as all of my bookings are done through the office I was not the best person to be asking, and wouldn't accept the information from me that it gets charged to whatever card is on the booking.
The academy itself was great, although didn't see any staff members around all day - although I didn't need anyone as was co-facilitating rather than being the lead!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Julie O, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and I welcome your comments with regard to check in and that your Priority Club number was not recognised and check out issues with the billing, I have discussed these further with my Front office manager. We are launching Free wifi to our Priority Club Platinum and Gold members as of 1st July 2013, with other offers following.

Kind regards
Cramlington, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

I was expecting a run-of -the-mill hotel chain when we stayed here with several family members for a wedding, but the staff were among the friendliest we've come across anywhere, from cleaners to dining staff, all smiling and welcoming. It's easy to get to, and within a taxi journey into Cambridge. Spa facilities were a welcome bonus as was the children's play area and the lake.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive review, and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that the staff everywhere were very friendly. This type of feedback all helps impact upon their job satisfaction.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

At least this time my window did not look on to a wall 3 meters away.

Nothing special at all... staff fairly polite, breakfast as you’d expect apart from taking 15 minutes to get a soft poached egg. The bedrooms are shabby looking and very tired, in need of a makeover. Take no notice of the pillow labels… all were very hard, even the two labelled as ‘soft’.

This is yet another hotel that thinks it’s still acceptable to charge for Wi-Fi… £16.00 for 24 hours.

#ripoffbritain

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I take guest feedback very seroiusly and act upon it. I am sorry your poached egg took 15 mins I have discussed this with my Food and Beverage team. I hope that our bedrooms will be refurbished during this year. With regard to Wifi charging we are introducing Free Wifi for our Priority Club Platinum and Gold members as of 1st July 2013, with other offers following on.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Cambridge in the future.

Kind regards
Lincoln, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and found the experience disappointing for a number of reasons. Firstly, having booked a room only, we enquired on arrival about breakfast and were told that a single price applied whether you wanted a full English breakfast or just a yoghurt. Clearly this is not value for money if you prefer a light breakfast. The receptionist offered to check and give us a call in the room but we had no response. She did however give us details of the park and ride arrangements into Cambridge and was otherwise helpful. We both found the bed hard and uncomfortable and oddly, for an executive room, the fridge was locked. Also, the heating/cooling system was ineffective at reducing the room temperature. I tried the breakfast room service and found the food uninspiring with the mushrooms dry and the 'assorted cheese' being one choice. If I had wanted to have a breakfast from room service on the second day, I would have had to phone this through as no card was left in the room. Shortly after midnight on the second night, the fire alarm sounded and I can only say that the conduct of the staff was chaotic - with no single person obviously in charge and many showing a lack of authority in a potential emergency situation. The fire service didn't attend and it was unclear why it was safe to return to our rooms other than the fact that the alarm had stopped. At departure, I reported that the sink was slow to drain and felt chastised for reporting it. The bill was incorrect so I couldn't use the Express Checkout and the receptionist seemed surprise that I should be honest in reporting that I owed more than was on the bill. Finally, it was disappointing not to have an apology for the disturbance during the night. I would suggest that the General Manager conduct some serious staff training as the stay at the Holiday Inn was the only disappointing part about our stay in Cambridge.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the A14 as the road noise can be heard if you want a quiet room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Julie O, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and I write to apologise for the shortfalls of standards and service during your stay with us which I would like to discuss further with you. Please get in contact with myself at the hotel directly, and I hope we can then learn from this poor experience.

uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

I stayed here for two nights on business. Usually I stay in a more central hotel but booked last minute so the prices any closer were really high, so decided to go for this. I felt safe booking with Holiday Inn and all in all it was a good stay. The room was reasonably basic but comfy, it was very quiet and had a decent selection of channels, tea/coffee, temperature was fine etc.

The hotel itself is about a 10 minute drive out of Cambridge. It's not really walkable, but I got taxis and it wasn't particularly expensive. The hotel is quite an old fashioned building (reminded me of an American motel from the outside) but inside everything was modern, the pool looked nice and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Breakfast was great, a really good selection! Didn't eat there in the evening, but menu looked fine.

All in all, I'd probably stay closer to the city centre if I wanted to be able to walk everywhere, but for business, or people who are happy to be slightly further out it's a very decent 3*/4* and I'd no problem staying there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Julie O, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, and I am very pleased that your stay was comfortable, quiet and you enjoyed the great selection at breakfast.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge if the city centre hotels are full again.

Torquay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

Typical Holiday Inn but a little better than average. Location is good is you want to be away from the bustle of the city and there is ample parking. However, travelling into Cambridge by car is not recommended as it gets very congested and has insufficient parking. Taxi cost mount up so the only other solution is the bus. There is a regular service int town but the stop is about 600 metres from the hotel.

Rooms, bar, restaurant all very acceptable. Fitness suite and pool seem popular.

We have used this hotel before and would do so again as it represents reasonable value and we only visit for one night at a time each year.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Julie O, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, and I am pleased that you found your stay to be better than average.
Cambridge is busy and parking can be difficult, but there is also the new guided busway close to the hotel which provides easy access into the city.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge again in the future.