“Business hotel”

Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Northwest UK
“Business hotel”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Stayed for one night on business. Good corporate rate approx £100 off walk in rate. Allocated an exec room at no extra cost. Was quite surprised to find that this room had been converted with full disabled facilities. Colleague also found her exec room exactly the same. Have no problem with this but was surprised that it wasn't mentioned at check in. This also meant that the shower was very low as could be used hand held rather than fixed height for a standing person.
Great black out screens. Bed room very quiet with no passing footfall meant a good nights sleep. Room was quite cold and unable to get radiator to work.
Excellent meal in dining room in evening. Staff very attentive. Bar rates high but I suppose that is to be expected, although a glass of villa Maria Sauvignon at £8:56 when you can get a bottle in Tesco for £9:99 was a bit over the top!
Good breakfast. Plenty of choice then quick check out. Only downside was no free wireless anywhere in hotel( have stayed previously and wireless was free in lounge area). Now £5 per hr or £16 for 24 hrs. Come on guys this hotel is full of business folk who need Internet access but at those rates cheaper to get cab to Starbucks and use their free wifi!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Wayne M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive review of Holiday Inn Cambridge, I am very pleased you felt comfortable and slept well with our black out screens. I have taken your comments on board regarding the use of accessible bedrooms with my front office team. I am also pleased your dinner in our restaurant and breakfast was of good standard. I appreciate our Bar prices are on the expensive side, and with your reference to Wifi, we are working with the owners to find a more viable price and package option.
I hope to welcome you back to Holiday Inn Cambridge in the future
regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
East Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Went there for a marketing conference. Great facilities including gym and pool. Room was large and bed was really comfortable, breakfast was ok (need to upgrade their sausages as very tasteless in the full English) - the only gripe was that the room was too hot and we couldn't regulate the temperature as the thermostat wouldn't respond. Any way - would definitely return!

Dear Guest
Thank you for your time in writing a review about Holiday Inn Cambridge, I am very pleased that you found our Health and Fitness club facilties good and you had a comfortable bed. I have passed your comments regarding the tasteless sausages onto our Head chef, and apologise for the heating in your bedroom.
I hope to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge in the future.
regards
Warrington
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Stayed for two nights in an executive room, good deal on Holiday inn website. Room well fitted; bright and nice and quiet. Short bus ride on number 8 bus to Cambridge which runs every 20 minutes or approximately £8 in a taxi. All staff very polite, friendly and helpful. Breakfast was very good and the staff in the restaurant were excellent and very efficient.
Woud definately stay hear again. Thank you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Wayne M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review of our hotel. I will be passing these comments onto the Team who will be very pleased that their hard work is appreciated.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge in the future.
Pittsboro, North Carolina
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed in the hotel for the first time this week. I have a team of 13 engineers staying here as well because it is about a $22 cab ride to Cambridge and was reasonably priced compared to hotels in the city center.
Their best asset is the gym. It is a commercial gym on the property so it had nice cardio and weight equipment plus a room where they offer several classes each day (unfortunately many of them are at 9:30 am or after which doesn't work so well for business travelers).
The room was very comfortable except I couldn't seem to turn the heat off so I had to open a window. Nice shower - you'll need to request wash (face) clothes if you need them. Breakfast was included in my rate and was your typical English breakfast (baked beans, runny eggs, bacon, sausage, black pudding). I also saw fresh fruit and yogurt on the buffet and an assortment of breads.

Service was good. I needed a highlighter and called the front desk. Within minutes they had delivered one to my room and said I could keep it.

Rooms are spacious. Mine had a small desk, couch, and a chair.
Bed had two choices of pillows - firm or soft.

Nice shower and tub.

1 Thank carolesau
Wayne M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a very positive review, it is great that you liked our Gym with all its high tech equipment. I am pleased the bedroom was satisfactory with our Pillow menu, I will have our engineer check the heating. Your comments on our service will be much appreciated by the team here, as it is what we strive to achieve.
I hope we can welcome you back to Cambridge in the future
kind regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I rarely stay at holiday inns and I now know why. This hotel is in the middle of nowhere (I don't know how they can advertise it as Cambridge)
Service and rooms were average and the breakfast the normal greasy floating eggs and self service.
They are way overpriced and I think anyone would be mad to pay their advertised rack rate of GBP200 a night

Room Tip: Choose a hotel in Cambridge
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank frankfurness
Wayne M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Guest
I apologise for the way you feel about the Holiday Inn Cambridge, we do offer Flexible rates which I believe you booked on, and here at the Hotel we pride ourselves in delivering great service.
Our location we believe caters for the best of both worlds, our Leisure Guests have a quieter semi rural location with easy access to the city centre, and our Business guests have easy access to the road network.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Cambridge for two nights while dropping of son at university. This was my second stay in the last year. It is a bog standard hotel situated just a few mins from the main trunk road network and routes into the city of Cambridge – plenty of pubs etc. near bye. Hotel sits nicely in own grounds and feels safe and secure. Has own leisure facilities which we did not get time to use. Public areas including restaurant are very nice and modern – recently renovated I believe. Room was clean and tidy on arrival and great size with two double beds and a full size sofa and coffee table, although furniture in this standard room is badly in need of re-furb as very worn. Staff were friendly and helpful in general although the receptionist did accuse us on the first night as we returned from dinner at a local pub of walking out without paying our bill. This of course was a mistake which she eventually accepted. The way she dealt with the situation was very poor and not very customer friendly. Breakfast in the morning was plentiful and of a good standard although they did run out of bacon on day 2 which is a crime for any hotel – how can you have a “full English” without bacon – they blamed the supplier of course. When staying in the Cambridge area again I would use the hotel. Was good value for the £80 B&B rate I paid.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Wayne M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review of your last stay at the Holiday Inn Cambridge, I am pleased that you like the locality of our hotel, and our spacious bedrooms. We are currently working towards a bedroom furniture refurbishment, as style and quality is below our normal standard.
I have spoken with my Front Office manager and I apologise for the outspoken nature from the member of staff and re training has taken place.
In regard to our bacon shortage it should not have happened and a new procedure has been put in place to ensure that this doesn't occur again.
I am pleased that you feel you received value for money.
UK
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Checked in for a weeks stay on business and ran straight into problems. I arrived late and waited for the couple in front to check in, the receptionist couldn't even wait for them to leave the check in desk and shouted over them as to what I wanted. I gave my details and that's it. I wasn't offered a paper, told where or what time breakfast was served, etc. then after check in she flung a pen across the desk and walked off. Worst check in process i have ever gone through. When I asked about the priority rewards card I hold I was told not to bother using it.

On the 2nd night I asked to be moved to a more quiter room, and was advised the hotel was fully booked -fair enough. I asked to be moved the next day and was told to return in the morning and it would be sorted. I did this and had to explain it all again, and was told they would try and move me but no guarantee could be made. In the end they did move me but with an adjoining room. Woken up around half 12 with couple getting back late. So much for a quite room.

I also had to phone front desk twice one night to get them to deliver a breakfast card. Everything seemed so much hard work for them. If you're going to be a 4* star hotel at least try and provide a 4* service!

The breakfast and dinner was very good and this is the only reason why this review has got a 2 and not a 1. In future I'll be staying at the premier inn which is better value on all counts (room stay, wifi access, meal costs and staff that actually care about your stay!) and will recommend our iprocurement team change their preferred hotel listing.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank fox23
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I apologise for the shortfalls in our service delivery to you, we pride ourselves on our Customer satisfaction and aim to live up to our 3 star rating.
If you wish to discuss further with me please contact the hotel with your details.