“Old tired and dirty”

Ranked #28 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Warwickshire
“Old tired and dirty”
Reviewed May 9, 2010

Sorry for being so late with this one, I don't like leaving negative comments in anger. My husband and I stayed for a long weekend back in August..
I suppose warning bells should have gone off when we entered the hotel. A lady appeared and said "Yes What". I said what our name was and she turned round and said "that's nice and what, are you checking in?" in a very rude manner.
The Location of the hotel is lovely, nice walk into the city. However, our room was disgusting. We had purposely asked for a large bed. When we got there, the bed was zip and link but the beds were different heights and didn't zip or link together properly. There was wallpaper hanging off the wall in parts and the plug socket were completely unsafe. I wouldn't walk on the carpet as I didn't know what was living in it it was so horrible.
The bathroom was okay, just generally dirty and the toilet seat didn't fit properly. However, hot water was at a premium. Twice we went for a shower to find absolutely no hot water so ended up late (and smelly) for the party we were going to. We weren't warned about this.
The other staff were generally pleasant although having their fag breaks at breakfast time outside between the kitchen and dining room with an open window was pretty horrible.
Give this place a wide birth!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TopBirdHippo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Billericay
Reviewed April 28, 2010

Nice & friendly bed & breakfast. Pleasent walk along river into Cambridge. Room ok with a comfy 4 poster bed. The decor is a litlle tired though. I have not left a review before but wanted to commend the honesty of the staff. My husband left a gold chain in the room . He didn't realise until the Hamilton staff rang us after we had returned home. They very kindly posted it back to him and he recieved it the next day. Excellent customer service!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Braintree, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2010

I stayed at Hamilton Hotel for one night with a group of my girly friends for a hen night as organised by an event company. I was a bit unsure having read the previous reviews but can now say that I wasn't blown away. The location of the B&B is fine, a short taxi ride into Cambridge city centre (which are very reasonably priced I must add) and it's easy enough to find by car and has a big car park for residents. I had contacted the B&B a couple of days before to say that my party had decreased in size, but when we arrived to check-in, this information hadn't seemed to have filtered through. Neither had the information that I have dietary requirements :-( My party were allocated a number of rooms, some of which were singles. Not a problem, but the singles were not en-suite with a shower room on a totally different floor, which doesn't lead to a relaxing stay! The other rooms were ok, a bit tired and in need of modernising (creaky floorboards, hair dryer on the wall in the bathroom, wallpaper peeling away due to damp and 1970's decor). My room was dark as it looked out onto a wall, but the beds were clean and comfy. I didn't care for the dirty cotton bud left on the dressing table though! The bathroom was a decent size and the shower and hot water were fine. Breakfast was good with a wide choice. The staff seem pleasant and helpful, although it was only one who made the effort to engage you in conversation. Overall, it was an ok place and did for getting your head down after a night out, however I would look around for somewhere else before staying here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Poppinaround
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed March 17, 2010

My friend and I were given a room in a small 'outhouse' separated from the main building. As other people have mentioned, the furnishing was a little bit dated. It seemed like the carpet hadn't been vacuumed in time for our arrival. The doorlock needed to be fixed because we always had some trouble getting inside. We had somewhat expected to find fresh towels in the bathroom the next day. And a few times when in the shower there was no water for about a minute or two. Having said that, we weren't too bothered about all this as we knew we weren't staying in a four star hotel and as we were hardly ever in our room anyway. On the plus side, the en-suite bathroom was clean and the room very quiet and spacious.

Breakfast was good; it was tasty and there was enough choice. The staff were friendly and helpful.

We misjudged the distance to the centre of the city. We thought the hotel would be located a little more closeby. It is most certainly doable to walk there, but we ended up taking the bus to the centre in the morning and the taxi back at night (because we didn't want to lose too much time and because the rain was pouring down).

We agreed that £70 for a room per night might, in comparison, be a little too much for what we got. On the other hand, we did realise that we were staying in a very touristy city in the UK.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed December 27, 2009

This is basically a large B&B. The staff were all friendly, and kind. The breakfast was good.

The room was quite good, we stayed in one of their four poster rooms. It cost £85 for the room, and breakfast. I didn't realize that the four poster room was a 'romance package' which came with a box of chocolates and a bottle of cava. This was quite a nice touch really, and represents quite a lot more value over the £70/£75 doubles. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was small. The room was a little 'tired', but it sufficed well for a night and we had a nice stay.

This isn't luxury, but it doesn't claim to be. It is also reasonably priced as far as other B&Bs/small hotels in Cambridge are concerned.

Having said that, there are certainly better B&Bs in Cambridge for this sort of price - slightly more modern fittings, bigger bathrooms etc.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Britontherails
Bedford, UK
Reviewed December 22, 2009

I have just returned from a Saturday night stay at the Hamilton Hotel. A friend and I wanted somewhere to stay for a weekend in Cambridge - most of which would be spent shopping, drinking and eating. It was perfect for what we wanted. The car parking was free, our room was separate to the hotel and was really large with bathroom and 3 single beds. It was a lovely walk into Cambridge along the river - it took about 15 minutes. The breakfast was lovely and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. For free parking, a big room with ensuite and a lovely breakfast I think £70 for both of us was very reasonable. I would stay here again and would recommend it to people who just want somewhere clean and comfortable to sleep. My friend is a coelliac and they treated her so well, providing specialist foods for her at no extra cost. brilliant.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
cumbria
Reviewed October 19, 2009

The Hamilton Is situated at the top of Chesterton rd, maybe a little too far for some to walk into the city centre, but ideal for where i wanted to go. My room was situated at the rear of the guest house, so was quiet. Car park is at the rear. The room was average. My room was clean but dated. Breakfast was fine and service very friendly. The Hamilton requires and upgrade, but was fine for what it was.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo