“Great breakfast, bad room”
Review of Hamilton Lodge

Hamilton Lodge
Ranked #28 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
“Great breakfast, bad room”
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

We had a room with the ensure right at the entrance.

Room was big but bathroom terribly small. It's like they managed to squeeze a shower inside a space the size of an airplane toilet. The water pressure was basically non existent.

The room was old and needed an upgrade. The heater didn't work and the 'double bed' was too singles made up together, but I suppose this happens a lot in bed and breakfasts.

The beds are way to squeaky and you can hear every conversation and sound being produced in the adjoining rooms.

The worst part was the fact that our room was next to reception and everyone that walked in and out of the building had the urge to stop in front of our room and have a conversation.

The lady that greeted us barely acknowledged us and as she was coming down the stairs, with great effort stopped half way and asked who we were. No smiles and it seemed we were doing her a great inconvenience.

The one saving grace and the ONLY reason I didn't rate this 1 or 2 stars is the breakfast. Service was efficient, plenty of choice and good quality for an included breakfast. Breakfast staff were very friendly and attentive and did everything with a smile. Be sure to order the kippers if you visit.

I doubt I would stay here given another chance, unless there was nothing else available.

Travelled as a young couple.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel was booked as our overnight stay for my Daughter's Hen Party 6th July. Our arrival was early so understandably the rooms weren't ready but the Manager let us leave all our cases in the downsairs room then we went off punting. On our return we were given 3 rooms which were for 11 people in an annexe at the rear of the car park. Two rooms accommodated 4 people each and one with 3. One of the rooms (downstairs) was very nice and included 4 single beds, a dining table and 4 chairs, plus a kitchen with a fridge - very handy as really hot spell - and a loo and shower. I was in one of the upstairs rooms with a double bed and two singles, (with my other two daughters) nowhere near as nice as the other room I have described. We had a dressing table (no mirror on it) with a welcome tray including kettle, cups etc and milk (in a flask in that heat) given to us by the none too welcoming receptionist (8 separate payments from us seemed too much for her to cope with nicely). We had a separate shower which was fine, however the toilet was on the landing at the top of the stairs, the door of which opened outwards. I narrowly missed knocking one of my daughters down the stairs on one occasion!! There was a large dirty stain about 10cms across in the middle of the carpet, and the grubby headboard was just propped on the wall with the bed pushed up to it. Two extension leads were in our room, one had TV and kettle, the other the bedside lamp, which incidentally didn't work anyway. We all got ready to go out into Cambridge for the evening, initially for a meal at Pizza Express, then on to a couple of nightclubs. Some of us came in at 2.00 and the rest 4.00, but as we had to vacate by 10.30 we were up reasonably early and went over to the main hotel for what was a lovely full English. However I was surprised to hear how one of the waitresses spoke to one of our party when she was ordering her breakfast, and another member of our party when she asked for a glass of water The first guest did mention this to the manager and she was assured that she would 'have a word'. When I gave in the key to our room it was the aforesaid waitress on reception, and my daughter and I mentioned the filthy carpet, only to be told it is to be replaced 'next week'. My comment was that to be charged £30 each for a dirty room was not really acceptable, only to be told that the normal rate for 3 people in that room should have been £93 so we did in fact get £3 discount, and not many hotels take Hen Parties!! I told her she should not expect all Hen Parties to be badly behaved, and I would be writing a report on Tripadvisor. When we went out to the car park to say farewells to the other Hens we overheard the waitress talking about Tripadvisor to another member of staff. In such a short timespan one can only assume we were being discussed - not very professional at all. The Bride-to-be went over to the lady and told her she had a lovely time but reiterated that our room was grubby.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Short31

Travelers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

A friend an I cycled from Oxford to Cambridge and use Hamilton for a stop over before returning. Room was more than adequate and the staff very helpful. Even arranged safe and secure storage for our bikes overnight. Breakfast was just the job and set us up for our return journey. Should I be mad enough to cycle again would definitely use again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

the location is not too far from the town centre, free parking and there is tea and coffee making facilities provided. the room was clean and the bed was comfy. this place is also easy to find. the host was also very nice. would reccommemd this place ro others

• Stayed June 2013
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I booked this as a cheap hotel for a conference. The room was very small but it had everything that I needed for a very short stay. Unfortunately, I had a room which faced onto the road at the front. This would not usually be a problem, but the weather was very warm and so the window had to be open for me to sleep. This resulted in me being woken at 5am as the traffic noise began which was VERY loud!

The staff were, however, very friendly and the breakfast in the morning was excellent - good choice of cooked and cold options. Car park on site is also very useful and it's in a good location.

Room Tip: Don't get one that faces the road!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Sean D
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Stayed in annex out the back. Spacious, clean and comfortable. Free parking with a 25 min walk into city centre. Had a nice cooked breakfast in the morning. Staff were very friendly. Good value low cost place to stay. I would stay again.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank sh1201
Whangarei, Northland, New Zealand
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Helpful and friendly staff. Easy location to get to town, you can easily walk over the bridge and through the park or catch a bus. Breakfast was very good, quickly cooked and good choice.Good places to eat for an evening meal close by.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple