“Convenient, good breakfast but could be cleaner”
Review of Hamilton Lodge

Hamilton Lodge
Ranked #28 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed April 12, 2013

This B&B is good value (£74 per night each for a double and a twin, but we got larger rooms), reasonably close to center (about 15 mins walk, there is a footbridge once you know the way) and has a very nice breakfast with several cereals, juices, full English but also other options like porridge, kippers etc. The staff were very friendly at check in/out and breakfast.

We were in 2 annexe rooms at the back of the car park. These were family rooms (beds for 3) and hence very large. They were also very quiet, which was nice- the road in front seemed quite busy. They could however have been cleaner, 1 had quite a few moths (annoying rather than dangerous) and the bins were not emptied after the 1st of 2 nights.

The Polish club across the road was very good for dinner- all good food, quite cheap and good variety of dishes. The continental deli across the road looks like it is closed but actually has a very odd assortment of foods from all sorts of odd places (Poland, Brazil, Ukraine, Portugal that we recognized but some we really had no idea)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hamilton Lodge

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a horrible, depressing, dreary Place to be avoided at all cost. When we arrived we were shown to a room at the back of the car park... the annex I think they called it..Hmmmm, it was the most depressing room I have ever seen in the World! I then asked If there were any other rooms available, And after being asked why I didn't like the room, was shown to a different room, that while still being fairly drab was ok, Why the **** they didn,t put us there in the fist place bewilders me! In this room the exacter fan wan't working, there was no hand soap and we had to ask for tea bags and it was noisy in the morning. Even the English breakfast was dreadful. The bacon was OK but the content of the so called sausage is still keeping me up at night with worry,God knows what it was made from! I think I'd rather not know. Tasteless cheap ingredients. The only positive thing I can say is that the staff were reasonably helpful. Bye the way, there are loads of good reviews on their web site and not one bad one..strange that Isn't it..There seems to be good reviews of this hotel on trip adviser, so maybe we were just unlucky.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Inexpensive accommodation is hard to come by in Cambridge, so the £50 a night for a small double/single that I paid is pretty good. My room was warm, clean and comfortable, but I have to say I agree with others' criticisms of the decor - the hotel needs some serious and expensive renovation. My bathroom was tiny, so narrow I literally couldn't turn around in it, and the television so small I couldn't lie in bed and watch it. The breakfast was good, real coffee (I was expecting nescafe) and plenty of choice. The area is not the most attractive but the hotel's on a bus route into town so you don't have to walk it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back - the hotel is on a busy main road.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Ample parking, friendly helpful staff. The b&b itself looks tired in places but our room was comfortable and the breakfast was good. They had a couple of groups of students staying for a long term visit so it was a little noisy in the evening.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed here on a saturday night on my own, although I'd originally booked to stay with my husband. Even though he was not able to attend at the last minute, they reduced my room rate for a single person even though they weren't obliged to do so.

When I arrived the manager saw that I am six months pregnant and that the room they had allocated me at the top of some steep stairs wasn't ideal. Without even asking, she offered me a ground floor room with no extra charge which was still en suite as I'd booked. I was very grateful she did this and it was excellent example of great customer service.

The hotel itself is quite basic but I wasn't expecting luxury for the price I'd paid and it was ideal location for me. I was very happy with my room and it met all my needs. I also thought it was a nice touch that they keep a supply of chilled fresh milk in thermoflasks in a fridge in the corridor so you can have a proper cup of tea or coffee anytime. The staff were welcoming and the service was fast and efficent. I would definitley recommend the hotel to young couples and students or anyone just needing a comfortable base to stay in while visiting cambridge.

Overall, no complaints at all, I'd definitley stay there again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Recently stayed at this hotel whilst visiting Cambridge. Booked a single room with a shared bathroom (2 sharing) with breakfast and all for £34. When I arrived, I was told I'd been upgraded, free of charge to an en-suite room. Room was very clean and comfortable. Had tea and coffee making facilities and the hotel fills individual flasks with milk, chills them and then you can help yourself to this for drinks in the room. Very good facility for rooms with no fridges. Staff were very polite but had to leave prior to breakfast so couldn't comment on the food. Pretty close to the City center, so ideally located. Fantastic place to stay for the price, especially when you are near to a City. Would definitely use again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Martin01_10
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed here in November for 1 night and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. There is a stale smell in the hallway but the rooms were nice and clean, and breakfast was good. There is also adequate parking. We would stay here again as it is a great base for exploring Cambridge.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple