“Lovely surroundings”

Wandlebury Country Park and Nature Reserve
Ranked #36 of 167 things to do in Cambridge
More attraction details
Owner description: Located a short distance south of Cambridge, this scenic park contains a mixture of woodlands and grasslands offering a network of scenic walking paths and picnic areas.
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Lovely surroundings”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I walk my dog here on a regular basis and i love the fact that dogs HAVE to be kept on a lead. It makes for a much more relaxing walk without the risk of being taken out by dogs charging around.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Dneezy

• Thai first
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Wonderful wander around Wandlebury”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

In an effort to get my son away from the x box a friend and I headed off to the Gog Magog hills to Wandlebury Country Park. We dragged with us 4 boys and 2 dogs in the summer drizzle. We paid £2 for parking and headed off into the park for a picnic. At the sight of open space the boys perked up and sprinted into a grassy opening beside the stable block of the original Wandlebury House, which is now demolished. There are a number of benches with trees for shelter so we set the picnic up under one. The boys played a bit of frizbee after the picnic and then we headed off for a walk. We had 110 acres to choose from.

As the sun appeared we walked past the grave of the Godolphin Barb horse which was the founder of modern horse racing bloodstock. We stopped for a photo by the sundial and carried onto the Wandlebury ring which was an iron age hill fort. The fort has gone but the ditch dug around the edge called the Wandlebury ring can still be found and walked along. Or in our case ran and scampered along by exploring kids and dogs. Just a note -they have to be on leads. The dogs not the kids.

This is a place that you can enjoy on many levels. The children had space to run around and explore and the adults can enjoy an interesting place with history behind it. The inscription on the bench we picniced on read: " In memory of Stephen Mansfield who spent many happy hours here". I can see why.

Visited August 2012
3 Thank Sian H
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A beautiful, peaceful place”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We walk here very often, and always enjoy the experience. The paths are extremely well kept, so it's a great destination even in wet weather when other places are difficult because of mud. Also there are lots of well-maintained benches, which helps if like me you need to take rests. The Highland Cattle are a treat too.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank CarolineHowlett
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Lovely day out”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Beautiful place to visit with children, clean and paths are marked clearly. Lots of places to have a picnic too.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Marisusanna
Canberra
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Sense the history”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Wandlebury is one of my favourite places to escape to in Cambridge. There are many nature walks and the scene changes with the seasons so it is almost as if you are going to a new place each time.

There is a hypothesis that Wandlebury is in fact the true site of Troy and, walking around the perfect circle of the ditch, I can almost imagine the Trojan wars within its environment. Whether it is or not, you can sense the history of thousands of years of human interaction with the environment there. It is an easy walk to the Roman Road of Worsted Street which is maintained in pretty much the same state as when it was built or if you are in for a long walk, you can do a circle which takes in the bronze/iron age/Saxon Fleam Dyke path as well.

As I walk through Wandlebury there are many seats donated in memory of people who have loved the park during their lifetimes - think I will do that too when I am gone, for me it is magical.

Visited July 2012