“Big hit with the kids.”

University Museum of Zoology
Ranked #82 of 168 things to do in Cambridge
More attraction details
Owner description: The Museum of Zoology is currently closed for refurbishment. Our animals are not ready to greet you yet! We are working as hard as we can to get the museum finished, and plan to open in 2018. Once reopen the Museum will have new displays, a cafe, shop and an impressive new glass entrance hall housing our largest specimen, a skeleton of the 70ft long Finback Whale. Our newly refurbished galleries will show off our wonderful zoological collections, some of which were collected by Charles Darwin.
Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

We went on a day when a special talk was being done for the kids. The speaker was first rate, informative but lively enough to keep about 50 under 10's occupied.
The kids were then encouraged to handle some of the exhibits including an elephants leg bone and a Nile crocodiles skull.
The rest of the museum was as you would hope, a really good amount of specimens.
It kept a usually jaded 11 and 13 yr old amused for a good couple of hours.
Definitely recommend a visit.

1  Thank fiona a

Reviewed February 9, 2013

A really good variety of specimens under a relatively small roof. Full skeletons of giant mammals, preserved sea creatures, fossils, bones and a large collection of stuffed birds from the UK and the tropics.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I'm a palaeontologist so I guess I have a real interest in bones and stuff, I visit alone often as it is free and I enjoy walking along and back the amazing whale skeleton outside for exercise. My step niece and my 20 year old son a Marine Biology Student and my wife a Lecturer in Health and Social Care have all accompanied me for a mini tour a real mix but they all loved it, especially the young folk, I couldn't get them out. Nobody hassles you, just wander about taking in the diversity, draw the skeletons, the youngest was thrilled to guess the animals from their remains and wonder at how this magnificent collection came to be. If your kids have watched Attenborough's Africa or Brian Cox's thing on the BBC bring them here to back up their learning. Oh and just along the road there is the Adam Sedgwick Palaeontological Museum another gem which is free. Cambridge spoils the scientist in a good way. Excellent.

2  Thank d14052014
Reviewed January 29, 2013

This museum is a slice of zoological history. It reeks of the victoria/georgian collector adventurer scouring the globe for specimen to bring back to their beloved university haunt. Amidst the moth eaten animals and bird sit row upon row of pickled curiosities from squid to platapus.

It can not be seen simply as a museum but must also be viewed as the anthropological look at an england long passed.

amazing!

Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

I took my 2 year old who was pretty impressed with whale skeletons, but could not be convinced they weren't sharks!
This is a small, bright, easily accessible museum. Lots of exhibits in cabinets, and lots of free-standing skeletons. My boy stayed in his pushchair as he was pretty tired, but had he been running about I might have had trouble keeping him off the skeletons!
Great for kids without being kiddified, and interesting for adults. You could go for a quick sight-seeing whizz round, or study for hours.

1  Thank JayHermit