“Beware when you book this hotel”

Brooklands Guest House
Ranked #90 of 122 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“Beware when you book this hotel”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I thought I had booked this hotel about four months ago for ourselves and our friends. We booked two double and one single rooms. We booked this hotel because it was walkable to the Corn Exchange in good weather and there was a good bus route if the weather was bad. When we arrived last week we were told over the phone that we were booked in the 'sister' hotel, Mowbray B&B. It was about a mile away and further out from the city centre. DO NOT GO TO MOBRAY B&B. It is a disgrace!!!! It is scruffy, dirty and there are a number of Health and Safety issues, Full review on Mobray B&B review page.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jan Y

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London
Reviewed June 15, 2013

The foreign lady who runs the place for the owner seems very good, although I think she has to apologise to many people for the state of the place! You can have a full English breakfast without extra charge, even though it is not mentioned on the website (the lady said that she had asked for this to be changed, but it had not been done).

The whole place seems rather rundown (nice bed, but threadbare carpets/mats) and many things don't work or work properly (e.g. no hot water for the bath, and the room TV probably did not work either.). Room we had was pretty small and not very warm (in late May).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2013

There was nobody to let me in when I turned up. I had begun to wonder if I had actually made the booking before the keeper drove up and immediately blamed me for the fact that she had not been there to welcome me upon my arrival, saying that I did not tell her exactly what time I would arrive, and that people often book and then don't turn up.

The twin en-suite was actually a single room cramped with unneccessary decor and inaccessible bedroom mirror. My bath activities were spilt between two different rooms as the sink was in the bedroom. The shower water was either very cold or very hot with no shower power. The bedroom door at the back was left open and the room was cold when I came back in the eveining. To its credit the bed was very comfortable.

Also, the bus stop was just outside.

The first lady became more friendly as the week wore on, but then another turned up and, without introduction proceeded to hand you bits of your breakfast. When I was leaving the new lady appeared from nowhere and began shouting at me not to lock the door. Later, as I was rolling my luggage out of the house she kept shouting after me that I had to pay. It was really embarrassing. I told her that I had paid via the online booking. She went and fetched her documents and sure enough it was confirmed that I had already paid. I received no apologies, but, I hoped that this eleviated some of the embarrassment caused to me from everybody in the dining room staring by now.

On my final day, while breakfasting, I saw mould on one of my toasts. They changed the toast, but at that point then I realised why my toasts had been harder to chew than I was used to. It was because they has been serving me bread that was past its consume-by date.

You did feel like it was just about the money for them, and that the customer does not matter. I really felt that my health had been compromised by staying there that week. I would never ever go there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

we did likes guests in this house. Not very far way from the city center. Nice and warm host and breakfast. I do like the nice duvet and four poster bed, very clean and beautiful,but don't really like the shower room. all in all, it worth the price.

Room Tip: Centennial Hotel might be good choice as well
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Overall, this was a less than satisfying stay! When I got to my room and unpacked my things, I noticed it was quite cold as the window (skylight type) was open. After trying to close it three or four times, I went downstairs to find the owner. As I couldn't find her it was suggested to me that I ring the b&b number. When she came upstairs, she told me that "nobody else had complained", "did I want it closing because I was scared that somebody was going to break into the room", and "couldn't I just sleep on the bed that was not under the window?". After explaining that I was cold because it was 9oclock at night in December and I didn't want my clothes to get damp or rained on, I was reluctantly moved to another room which was unfinished and had a lot of dust on the bed, cabinets and fixtures in the room. I felt unwelcome, and this is not the type of hospitality I would expect from somebody running a bed and breakfast.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Omg where do I start? Web described as "boutique style" rooms, the reason why I booked it but this was from the case. I booked for a friend also and was so embarrassed at my choice on arrival. Initially we were put in tiny attic room. We asked to change room in morning and was told by owner, " you're here to sleep only and you have a bed," and, " I'm taller than you and I can stand up, it fits regulations." We were later agreed to be moved to ground floor double room. The decor and state was so vulgar we were too shy to ask to return to the attic room!
There was an unpainted garden shed in the room consisting of a toilet and shower but no sink as that was next to the bed! The furniture was all mismatched and very pagan style. Outside the Glass door in bedroom was the buildings pipe works and could hear everyone flushing their toilets!
The bed linen was extremely clean and comfortable, however from the pictures uploaded, you will see the dust on bed frame/ head board and side tables!
We spent the evening looking at other bb's as we felt we just couldn't hack another night there. I would've preferred to spend night in a cell!
The only good point was, Tina. A very pleasant lady who did the breakfasts.

• Stayed October 2012
cheltenham
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I had read the reviews for this place after I booked so knew what to expect The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. After the first night .the central heating was put on so it was lovely and warm to come.back to after a cold day out, But the decor was very putdated and dingy;: definitely in need of decoration.,The owners and staff were not very friendly and breakfast was a choice of 3 cereals and poached egg on toast. As we were there for a week this became very boring after a while. The plumbing had worn loose and there was never any hot water in the morning. As the shower was so inefficient we didn't use it. The water was very hot by the evening and there was a barh so we were ablke to keep clean. The wardrobe was so small it was hardly big enough for one person and the drawers in one of the bedside cupboards were broken. We did mention this but did not get a very positive reply.The towels were changed every day whether they had been used or not and the sheets were changed at least once while we were there. We felt this was unnecessary when so much else needed putting right and improving.
The one thing in its favour is the location as there is a bus stop outside which takes you to the station in 10 minutes and the city centre in 20 minutes and the buses are every 10 minutes.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple