“unwelcoming!”

Ranked #90 of 122 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“unwelcoming!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

Overall, this was a less than satisfying stay! When I got to my room and unpacked my things, I noticed it was quite cold as the window (skylight type) was open. After trying to close it three or four times, I went downstairs to find the owner. As I couldn't find her it was suggested to me that I ring the b&b number. When she came upstairs, she told me that "nobody else had complained", "did I want it closing because I was scared that somebody was going to break into the room", and "couldn't I just sleep on the bed that was not under the window?". After explaining that I was cold because it was 9oclock at night in December and I didn't want my clothes to get damp or rained on, I was reluctantly moved to another room which was unfinished and had a lot of dust on the bed, cabinets and fixtures in the room. I felt unwelcome, and this is not the type of hospitality I would expect from somebody running a bed and breakfast.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Omg where do I start? Web described as "boutique style" rooms, the reason why I booked it but this was from the case. I booked for a friend also and was so embarrassed at my choice on arrival. Initially we were put in tiny attic room. We asked to change room in morning and was told by owner, " you're here to sleep only and you have a bed," and, " I'm taller than you and I can stand up, it fits regulations." We were later agreed to be moved to ground floor double room. The decor and state was so vulgar we were too shy to ask to return to the attic room!
There was an unpainted garden shed in the room consisting of a toilet and shower but no sink as that was next to the bed! The furniture was all mismatched and very pagan style. Outside the Glass door in bedroom was the buildings pipe works and could hear everyone flushing their toilets!
The bed linen was extremely clean and comfortable, however from the pictures uploaded, you will see the dust on bed frame/ head board and side tables!
We spent the evening looking at other bb's as we felt we just couldn't hack another night there. I would've preferred to spend night in a cell!
The only good point was, Tina. A very pleasant lady who did the breakfasts.

• Stayed October 2012

Travelers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

cheltenham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

I had read the reviews for this place after I booked so knew what to expect The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. After the first night .the central heating was put on so it was lovely and warm to come.back to after a cold day out, But the decor was very putdated and dingy;: definitely in need of decoration.,The owners and staff were not very friendly and breakfast was a choice of 3 cereals and poached egg on toast. As we were there for a week this became very boring after a while. The plumbing had worn loose and there was never any hot water in the morning. As the shower was so inefficient we didn't use it. The water was very hot by the evening and there was a barh so we were ablke to keep clean. The wardrobe was so small it was hardly big enough for one person and the drawers in one of the bedside cupboards were broken. We did mention this but did not get a very positive reply.The towels were changed every day whether they had been used or not and the sheets were changed at least once while we were there. We felt this was unnecessary when so much else needed putting right and improving.
The one thing in its favour is the location as there is a bus stop outside which takes you to the station in 10 minutes and the city centre in 20 minutes and the buses are every 10 minutes.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dover
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

I booked this 6 weeks ago,it was cheap and central enough. I had a confirmation email, booked via the tourist board website and they took a deposit witthin 2 days. Upon arrival we were informed there was no room for us, We didn't have a reservation according to the rather abrupt and rude woman, after showing her the reservation and invoice number she checked, never really gave a reason but blamed it on a "mistake in the booking, they had a new girl doing reservations" She agreed to call round to find us a room, and luckily did up the road. She then gave us the wrong address, so we walked about ten mins up the road, with luggage, only to have to walk back again to get the correct address and then head further up the road. Luckily the hotel we then stayed in, the Alington hotel was FANTASTIC! Don't bother with Brookland, it's not worth the stress.

Room Tip: The number 3 bus goes straight into town.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

I booked into Brooklands because it was affordable and accessible. However the service was very poor, and I found the staff to be quite impolite and unhelpful. Was also disappointed with the standard of my room- I am a seasoned traveller, but I expect my room to be clean at a very basic level, and I prefer not to find my shower full of pubic hairs.

I had booked to stay here again on my way back through Cambridge, but decided to cancel the second night, as I was so disappointed. Staff agreed to do so. However, was very disappointed to find, after returning to the US, that they had charged me for the second night anyway (as I booked online they had my card details).

Room Tip: Stay away!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

We were initially a bit shocked at the tired condition and decorations when we first got there but decided I give it a go and see how we got on.
The room was generally clean, the beds were that little bit too soft as oft they are in these places. The shower and WC were 'interestingly' located in the room and the decor was perhaps not to our taste.
Breakfast is a choice of continental or (fried) egg on toast. Wait for your tea to stew a bit as its a little weak but it does get there!
Car parking is in the nearby vets (?!) but there are plenty of buses that go by and if you're brave enough to cycle the centre of Cambridge is only a mile and a half away.
We very nearly walked away as soon as we arrived but it wasn't as bad as we feared once we got used to it. I hazard though that the Travelodge just around the corner probably offers slightly more in comfort and room size.

• Stayed March 2012
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

This B and B is not good value for money. Rooms are very dated, cramped, and poorly maintained. We had no hot water on arrival. Service was rude and abrupt and a far cry from the friendly B and B service you would expect. Avoid this.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends