“Just don't bother”

Brooklands Guest House
Ranked #96 of 123 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I booked this 6 weeks ago,it was cheap and central enough. I had a confirmation email, booked via the tourist board website and they took a deposit witthin 2 days. Upon arrival we were informed there was no room for us, We didn't have a reservation according to the rather abrupt and rude woman, after showing her the reservation and invoice number she checked, never really gave a reason but blamed it on a "mistake in the booking, they had a new girl doing reservations" She agreed to call round to find us a room, and luckily did up the road. She then gave us the wrong address, so we walked about ten mins up the road, with luggage, only to have to walk back again to get the correct address and then head further up the road. Luckily the hotel we then stayed in, the Alington hotel was FANTASTIC! Don't bother with Brookland, it's not worth the stress.

Room Tip: The number 3 bus goes straight into town.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Brooklands Guest House

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I booked into Brooklands because it was affordable and accessible. However the service was very poor, and I found the staff to be quite impolite and unhelpful. Was also disappointed with the standard of my room- I am a seasoned traveller, but I expect my room to be clean at a very basic level, and I prefer not to find my shower full of pubic hairs.

I had booked to stay here again on my way back through Cambridge, but decided to cancel the second night, as I was so disappointed. Staff agreed to do so. However, was very disappointed to find, after returning to the US, that they had charged me for the second night anyway (as I booked online they had my card details).

Room Tip: Stay away!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We were initially a bit shocked at the tired condition and decorations when we first got there but decided I give it a go and see how we got on.
The room was generally clean, the beds were that little bit too soft as oft they are in these places. The shower and WC were 'interestingly' located in the room and the decor was perhaps not to our taste.
Breakfast is a choice of continental or (fried) egg on toast. Wait for your tea to stew a bit as its a little weak but it does get there!
Car parking is in the nearby vets (?!) but there are plenty of buses that go by and if you're brave enough to cycle the centre of Cambridge is only a mile and a half away.
We very nearly walked away as soon as we arrived but it wasn't as bad as we feared once we got used to it. I hazard though that the Travelodge just around the corner probably offers slightly more in comfort and room size.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed October 31, 2011

This B and B is not good value for money. Rooms are very dated, cramped, and poorly maintained. We had no hot water on arrival. Service was rude and abrupt and a far cry from the friendly B and B service you would expect. Avoid this.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank helenamazon
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Upon arrival I was rudely told off by the landlady for calling the number displayed on the front door under a sign saying 'please call' !! Landlady informed me she was not always there and gave me all the keys for our party. She did not greet the rest of the party- I could have let anyone in! Rooms were very small and simple. One room was badly designed with toilet and shower room doors opening into each other. We were getting ready to go out for dinner and there was no hot water. When we informed landlady of this on checkout we got another rude response. Breakfast was simple with little choice. Cost of £68 per room- we did not feel it was value for money at all.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank AmyRogers
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We booked this B&B at short notice as we were attending a wedding in cambridge i had to relay alot on the website for information the discription of the room as boutique is false there is nothing boutique about this B&B , We arrived on the saturday the lady had given us the code for the door and left our key in the room on opening the room door it hit the corner of the bed not a good start the room was very small and shabby, the bathroom leaved alot to be desired as the door to that also opened onto the bed and was very cramped and had mold growing on the shower walls, We also had no window but the old back door which opened to a small enclosed area that housed the drainage hole for the whole house so every time anyone flushed the toilet or had a shower all we could hear was the water entering the drain outside our door, the bed was very uncomfortable and the side tables were covered in dust, Sunday we got up feeling rather wirey after a poor nights sleep ready for breakfast we both asked for a full english only to be told that that would be an extra £5 each this is not stated anywhere on the website we declined to pay the extra and had eggs on toast which was very greasy the other option to us was cereal. We paid £70 pounds for the room and we were expecting an experience to honour that amount of money but this did not happen we would never recommend this B&B to anyone and i think it should be renamed B & Cereal not bed and breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Janederby59
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Booked this online after a decent star rating from AA. Boy their standards must be low. I booked a twin room, asked for an early breakfast. They only had a double and there was no such thing as an early breakfast. Service was abrupt, no ID requested (what sort of place is this?!) very small terraced house, busy road out front and everything in a poor state of repair. Looked around, saw a Travelodge which was palatial in comparison. Cancelled the reservation and I'm still waiting to get my money back.
Seriously, why bother?