“Turned away despite having a valid reservation”

Alpha Milton Guest House
Alpha Milton Guest House
Ranked #99 of 124 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 16, 2012

When I arrived at this guest house, after a very long journey, the owner told me he had no record of my booking and no room available, I showed him my laterooms confirmation, he just shrugged and offered to give me some numbers of other places. I suspect that he had received a block booking and therefore my reservation was inconvenient. Luckily I was able to find a room at the travelodge which is what I will do in future - my strong advice is not to touch this place with a barge pole.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Paul H

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Having booked to attend a wedding, we were contacted by the guest house less than a week before saying they had to cancel our room. They provided a telephone number for one other B&B (Which was already fully booked) and said they would refund our credit card.

Three months later and they have still not returned the money for the stay they failed to provide us.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank David M
Reviewed March 13, 2012

My usual Cambridge B&B being fully booked, I found this one on the web without checking it on Trip Advisor. Mistake!

The only human contact I had with the place in a three-night stay was with the pleasant young man who checked me in and showed me up to my clean, comfortable and fairly spacious room. He also gave me the password for the wifi, which unfortunately didn't work. I never discovered the correct one, because after that I never saw a human being in the place. There were no notices about breakfast times, but on the first morning, a Sunday, I went down at 8.00 and found the Dining Room door locked. I went down again at 8.30 and 9.00, after which I took myself off into town to buy breakfast in a coffee shop. When I returned that evening, the bed had not been made.

On the Monday morning, I found the Dining Room door open, but no signs of life. I hung around for ten minutes, periodically coughing loudly and calling "Hello!". No luck. I repeated the experiment half an hour later, then took myself off into town ...

On the third morning, the morning of my departure, I found the Dining Room door locked again. Since I had paid in advance on the web, I returned to my room, packed, left the room key in the door, and took myself off into town ...

A bizarre experience. NOT RECOMMENDED!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Stephen_Mennell
Reviewed August 1, 2010

I stayed here with my daughter when we went to the Cambridge Folk Festival for the day. We were welcomed warmly on arrival, offered tea or coffee and a choice of rooms. We chose the smaller room overlooking the garden, the room was clean and freshly decorated (though not exactly designer boutique style) , the bathroom was fine, the shower was clean and worked well. The beds were not great, they could do with replacing the mattresses soon, but not actually uncomfortable and we slept well. There is off street parking in front of the B&B. The proprietors were exceptionally friendly and helpful. We only stayed one night but they were happy for us to check in early (11:30-12:00), leave our car outside the following day while we went into Cambridge, and call in to use the bathroom before finally leaving.
It was about a mile to the centre and to the bus stop for free buses to the folk festival (though we could probably have got the C1 from down the road straight there), quite a pleasant walk, and we felt safe walking back at night. We didn't have breakfast as I get the impression it is discouraged (cost £10 extra and served between 8-9, which was fully explained on the phone when booking).
I would stay here again when visiting Cambridge. I hope they get plenty of business so they can afford to upgrade the beds before my next visit!

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed July 23, 2010

The Guest House and location were just average. Found the owner's manner very abrupt and unfriendly. Have stayed in accommodation offering a more central location and far better value in beautiful Cambridge previously, so was extremely disappointed with Alpha Milton.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Danusia10
Reviewed September 26, 2009

We stayed at the Milton for a weekend away at the beginning of September. The house is basic, but clean, all you really need for a weekend stay. The manager was very friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was good (the Traditional English). Ample off street parking (they let us leave our car parked there all day after checking out so we wouldn't have to pay for street parking)

Generally good value for money, although if I was visiting again I would spend a little more. If you just want somewhere quiet to rest your head, then can't complain.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple