“Don't stay in room 2,and watch out for their cancellation policy” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Acacia Guesthouse

Acacia Guesthouse
Acacia Guesthouse
Ranked #48 of 129 Cambridge B&B and Inns
“Don't stay in room 2,and watch out for their cancellation policy”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

I've been in lots of hotels and guest houses and have never written a review before but,because of my experience I've decided this will be my first ,to warn others of the terms of this hotel.
I arrived in Cambridge on Tuesday afternoon ,looking for someway to stay until Sunday morning,I knocked in the door ,and they had room 2,
I paid for 5 nights.
It is positioned under the canopy ,which is lit until about 1am,it makes the room seem like its still day. When it's switched off there's a street light which does exactly the same thing.
Blackout blinds would solve this problem
But because of the canopy smokers, smoke under it. So you can hear their conversations as you try to rest.
It's positioned next to the front door (which slams quite often),and is under the stairs, which seem to be in constant use.
They don't supply any shower gel.
On Wednesday ,I found out I had to leave on Friday,I asked if I could transfer the days I paid for to the next week,as I'm going to be down here for awhile.they said " NO,we only give refunds if cancelled with at least 7 days notice,it's our hotels policy"they did say that if they let the room out they'd refund me (Of course they will).
I've stayed in other places and just about all of them have a 24hour cancellation policy.
So please be aware of their rip off policy, before parting with your hard earned money.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Martin164swift

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Newbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Very clean rooms and nicely laid out. Two things missing for us; a mirror near a socket (or in the room itself) and soap in the bathroom. The outside awning looks tired but inside is bright and fresh. Owners are lovely and friendly and parking no problem. Breakfast was nice and lots of serial choices.

• Stayed October 2012
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

A friend and I stayed at the Acacia for two nights as we were attending a wedding not far away. We were greeted with a warm welcome and our bags were carried to our comfortable room. The bathroom was very small but clean and there was a TV and tea and coffee making facilities . We had a twin and the beds were very comfortable.
The cooked breakfast was lovely, the poached eggs were probably the best I've had and the bacon and sausages were grilled not fried. There was a choice of cereals and spreads for the toast.
There is a bus stop just round the corner to get you into town and a nice pub just down the road.
All in all a very nice place to stay but maybe a little out of the way if you want to get into Cambridge, although it's only 20 mins by bus.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Lymington, Hampshire,England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

Good parking and B&B easy to find. We had a room at the back of the Guesthouse. Very quiet and well fitted out with a good range of TV channels, wi-fi in the room, comfortable twin beds, adequate though not very powerful shower.

Everything was very clean - when my wife plugged in her phone charger behind the bed even the skirting boards behind the bed had been dusted.

Excellent "British" breakfast. The eggs were poached and just right (for me at least), nice bacon, sausage, beans etc. I wish I'd had the tomato too - my wife did and it looked and tasted good.

Nice furniture in the breakfast room, helpful and friendly welcome from Terry, a good stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank david-the-banker
Maldon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

We stayed at this guest house with friends as we wanted a weekend of punting. The staff were friendly, the room was clean, including the bathroom, the owner was very accommodating and allowing us to leave our car there before check in time as we wanted to maximise the day and get there early. The breakfast was excellent and the service very good. Extremely hospitable. The guesthouse was located conveniently for the City centre, on the bus route or if there are four of you - why not share a cab, it probably works out cheaper than individual bus fares. All in all, a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: When booking, make sure you read up thoroughly because not all rooms have en-suites. If you don'...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2011

I loved this B&B. It was in a great location. The bus was around the corner and a 10 minute ride to city center and the train station. There are a lot of restaurants nearby. Also a grocery store is around the corner as well. The B&B served a hot breakfast and/or cereals. The B&B was very clean and airy. It was a quiet place. I would recommend it highly!

Room Tip: I loved my room on the 2nd floor. It was very cozy and I slept well. You could hear some road noise...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
San Lazzaro di Savena, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2011

Staff was very kind at any time. Room was clear. We stay in Cambridge 3 days. Breakfast was good, english breakfast was fresh-cooked.
Hotel is not near city center but it is well connected by buses, but they aren't cheap, about two £ for any trip.
The only problem we found was that wi-fi doesn't work in the room.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple