“really disappointed with customer service”
Review of Stationroomz

Stationroomz
Ranked #32 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Room is OK and breakfast is good. Unfortunately I let my cash card behind. Phoned on Monday evening and confirmed it was there. Was assured by member of staff that it would be sent my manager the next day. Thought they might call me to arrange payment for recorded delivery etc but didn't hear anything. Wednesday- no card. Phoned again on Wednesday evening and was told by the same member of staff that the card was no longer there and that message had been passed on. Thursday no card. Friday no card. Phoned and manager answered. She still had the card and because only one member of staff is there at one time she was unable to leave to go to post office. She said she wouldn't get paid overtime to go after work.

I have been very upset about this and disappointed that staff did not phone me to let me know what was happening as I would have cancelled the card earlier than today.

I know it is a budget hotel but disappointing that customer service is not prioritised at all.I don't think it is the fault of this manager- unfortunately the culture in the hotel is determined by someone above her.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Good points...Location great, next to the station, easy to find. Wifi is free, but works better closer to the reception. There is limited free parking, roughly 4 spaces, I had no trouble getting a free spot. Staff helpful.Breakfast breads/jams/cereals/sandwiches in a breakfast room.
Bad points...very small rooms, tiny bathroom, all a bit grubby and cold. I know the price is okay for Cambridge but compare the rate to anywhere else in the UK and it is terrible. I won't stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Stayed for a night for an interview, was arriving late night by train. Ideal location wise - just opposite to station. 24 hour reception. Very compact rooms with bunkbeds even for single room. Tea/Coffee making facilities in the room. Basic breakfast included in the price. Was noisy.
Overall it was ok for my overnight stay but maynot be ideal for people preferring luxury.

Plus: Very close to bus and train station, cheap , includes breakfast
Minus - Noisy, very compact

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed here for one night and chose Stationroomz for the convenience factor (with it being right next to the station). Next time I'll pay a little more though and get a proper hotel room!

This was an absolute dive - just over £50 for a tiny room with no security and a cracked window that didn't shut properly - leading to a very loud and cold night. Tiniest bathroom ever - about the size you'd get on a plane. Smug receptionist who'd abandoned his post in the early evening meaning anyone wanting to check in had to wait in the rain for him to reappear! Worst of all, the security was terrible... I was given a code to unlock the main door, but this door was wide open anyway, meaning anyone could just walk in off the street and be at your hotel room door in seconds - judging by how my door handle was almost falling off, I'd guess that quite a few people have done just that and tried to break into rooms.

Overall I wasn't expecting much given the price, but this was without doubt a shocking hostel/hotel! They need to up their game and not just rely on the location to get customers.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ChrisLondon186338
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Try to find better accomodation at that price in Cambridge...
Yes, it is basic.
Yes, it is not the cleanest place in the world (although certainly not the dirtiest either).
Yes, it is cheap...

Having stayed here before with our dog, we now booked in with our two dogs. We couldn't really turn around in the bathroom, but there is a bathroom in the room, and there was a working shower and hot water. Beds were ok.
Breakfast was also good for the value. Free wifi only worked in the breakfast room, but that's ok. Staff is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I had booked 3 nights at this hotel. Eventually, I couldn't stay in Cambridge. So, I sent an email 24 hours before my arrival, I even called to check if the reservation was going to be canceled. The man who answered me said there would be no problem. Unfortunately, I didn't get my refund back. Besides, the hotel debited my credit card for the 3 nights I didn't spend there!!
Now, I'm still waiting for an answer to my emails. I'll just have to go to the police as my bank advises me to do.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gonzo973
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed here before a job interview at Addenbrooke. I was able to get off the train and see it straight away. The reception is staffed all the time and the guy there was very friendly. It is very casual and laid back. It is just somewhere to sleep, eat, leave your stuff and then go see Cambridge with a bit more money to do so.

PRO:
1. With a plusbus ticket I was able to hop on and off buses all the time as pretty much every one goes past the train station. You never seem to wait more than a minute until one shows up.
2. They let me stay on in their breakfast room all morning post-checkout to use their wifi with my laptop for job interview prep.
3. They also let me keep my suitcase there, including coming back to change and then leave it again until my evening train. Also lent me an iron/ironing board for as long as I wanted.
4. Breakfast was cereals (muesli, corn flakes, honey nut), a jug of milk, a jug of orange juice, bowl of croissants, baguettes with cheese or ham, jams/pot of nutella, those hot water containers with make your own tea/coffee (tetley/nescafe instant). The breakfast room has tall stools and benches - 2 plug sockets.
5. I found my bed comfy, a nice hard mattress. There are no single rooms, even 1 person is given a twin bunk cabin room - it is in fact just like cabin of a ship.
6. If you email them beforehand, they write back asap.
7. Two big towels, one hand towel, two little hand soaps, two soft toilet rolls, a bin, a stool, a tiny kettle with the usual mugs/tetley/nescaf/milk/sugar sachets, a tv, a low rail to hang things and a bible. Oh and each bed has a reading lamp. Also lots of sockets.

NEUTRAL:
1. For £52.50 it was roughly the same price as local B&Bs, but those have shared bathrooms and arn't right beside the train station. I stayed here because the cheaper university college rooms had booked up fast, I could of paid more for travelodge etc but I would have had to pay for breakfast and transport to find it off my late arriving train.
2. It was very small and lots of noisy people about, but I didn't really mind and it was the kind of place where other people strike up a conversation with you - far from lonely! The communal areas are tatty but the room itself was fine, as was the breakfast room.
3. It took my a while of running the shower to get hot water, but there was plenty.
4. You can rent a bike just outside
5. If you don't ask, you don't receive - access to info, iron, hairdryer, remote control etc. They handle complaints well and have an open door policy for reception, where someone always sits.

CONS:
1. If you can't climb stairs, you couldn't stay here. If you are tall, you also might not like it.
2. Even though given the closest room to the breakfast room, I still couldn't get wifi there so had to work in there.
3. Someone was turning my door handle in the early hours.
4. After a day in 30+ degrees heat, it was just as hot in my room unfortunately - only an open window to get some air in.
5. My suitcase was fine, but was under a desk that anyone could get access too - so it's not like secure left luggage, but was free. The bike shop outside keeps bags for a fee, but only until 6pm.
6. If you need a guaranteed good sleep, have a certain standard of living/expectations or would never stay in a hostel, you will be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business