“Blood stained bedding. Despicable.”
Review of Stationroomz

Stationroomz
Ranked #32 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

I've left it 24hrs before writing this review so I can make some attempt at a reasoned rationale review. I'm going to fail.

This is not a hotel. I'm not even sure it qualifies as a hostel.

I wasn't expecting much from this place because it's budget accommodation. A leaky tap, a cold shower or other minor defect wouldn't have prompted me to write a negative review (in fact i've stayed in very expensive accommodation with those exact problems and haven't felt the need to complain). Station Roomz in Cambridge is disgusting. It has all the above but what has casused me to write is the state of the bed linen. I woke to discover that I had been sleeping in a duvet covered in multiple dried bloodstains.

I immediately notified the on duty manager. I showed him a photo and took him to the room. He phoned the owner/manager (apparently in the midlands on business). She was to busy to talk to me and suggested I come back the following day. Needless to say I wasn't happy. Things quickly escalated in a full blown argument.

At one point they implied that I or one of my group may have caused it.

Now before anyone thinks I may have over reacted see the attached photos. At the time of writing I haven't heard back from them and was informed at the time of complaint I wouldn't be receiving a refund.

Do not stay at this supposed hotel. Budget prices (and it's not actually that cheap) are no excuse for poor hygiene. I will be notifying Cambridge council to take this matter further.

• Stayed: May 2013
7  Thank Golly_Gosh_Slater
GeneralManager1969, Owner at Stationroomz, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Please accept our apologies, the bed linen (duvet) was unfortunately stained, however the stain was coffee not blood and the duvet should not have been used even when covered with a freshly laundered duvet cover. We have now ordered new duvets and discussed the standards we aspire to with the hotel manager and her team to ensure there is no future repetition of such an incident. We are in a great location by Cambridge Station, offer competitive room rates, and whilst we may occasional slip up, our team are attentive and caring. Kind regards

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed here without reading any reviews purely as a friend was already staying there too. In fairness the staff were very welcoming and polite but really the positives end there. I was handed a remote for the tv with the key which raised my suspicions. The room was tiny and not very pleasant. It was clean however. Thankfully it was merely a place to get my head down after a night out and I was glad the alcohol numbed the experience. The place badly needs some tlc and redesign. I would not stay here again and for £57 this was daylight robbery. It was only worth about £30 max.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Came to cambridge for a 2 day training course and booked into cityroomz the evening before. On arrival first impressions wernt great but the staff were helpfull. The room was very small basic unclean and noisy. Eventually managed to go to sleep to be woken up in the early hours of the morning (2am) by the sound of keys in the lock and a guy opening my room door ... fortunately i had put the chain across the door which was the only thing stopping this guy from entering my room!!! When i reported this to reception i was told that there was a different key for each room but the staff did have a master key to all rooms, to which my reply was why would a member of staff b entering a occupied room at 2am.... i was told that the room next door to me was unoccupied and it was possible that the member of staff had got the wrong room..... i foundthe whole experience very frightening and unacceptableand only managed to get 2 hours sleep.... not a great start for a training course.... will b taking this further!!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Went to Cambridge with my boyfriend. We hadn't previously looked for room before coming so we looked last minute and found cityroomz. On the website it had showed good pictures of the hotel and for the price we were expecting something like Travelodge but on arrival we checked in and we were taken to an underground DUNGEON looking basement floor! We were taken to the first room on the right. Receptionist opened the door and as soonest he opened the door you could say that we nearly tripped over onto the bed. There was not that much space at all and as well there was a window on the right which was letting in a lot of cold air. First thing we tried to do was turn on the portable radiator which was plugged into a wall socket so there was no central heating at all. We had to call reception as our radiator wasnt working so receptionist gave us his portable radiator and took ours away.
The room was dirty it needed a good paint over the only clean thing was the bed sheets. We did had good night sleep but had to wake up to the horror of the room again. We couldn't wait to leave but we had booked two nights and we had to stay.
We couldn't even watch tv because it wasnt working No network coverage on your phone as well you had to go out of the room outside to make a phone call.
The door to the room was so hard to lock with the key that i had to get my boyfriend all the time to lock it for me and even he found it hard.
Now to the breakfast. We went upstairs to the canteen which was on top of reception. Breakfast included croassant, sandwiches were hard as they were there all morning. Tea or coffee weren't really good. I didn't eat nothing on the breakfast table but my boyfriend did and after breakfast spend few hours on the toilet.
Cityroomz is not value for money we wished we had stayed at travelodge and it was cheaper to stay there. I wouldn't recommend this "hotel" to no one !

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Daria Z
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I went to Cityroomz one weekend with my boyfriend. We left our bags at the hotel and went into the town before coming back to check in to the room.
We first thought it was a bit weird when the man on reception took us into some kind of underground dungeon to our room...
There was barely even room to fit 3 people in the room at the same time. We were just amazed at how disgusting the room was... Looking around the walls were dirty, the bathroom was dirty and the quality of the room was just horrendous. There was a tv that didn't even work, and a plug In radiator that didn't really work either.
We spent about an hour and a half in the room before we couldn't bear to stay any longer, and decided to leave. The man on reception didn't seem bothered or even surprised when we said we weren't staying.
I don't know what Cityroomz is but it definitely isn't a hotel, and the price is disgusting for what it is.

Room Tip: Make sure you see the room before you pay for it!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank georgie452
Reviewed March 31, 2013

First impressions are damning. Having glanced at the website, read the list of facilities and paid what i believed to be a reasonable rate (comparable to local Travelodge prices), I was not prepared for the reality of this hotel. One-step up the ladder from a hostel is the only way I could describe this place.

Pros
- Despite everything, I had an excellent night's sleep laid on a couple of mattresses stacked on the floor (see cons below)
- The breakfast room is nicely presented and is comfortable to use (there may be an issue if you can't sit on tall stools)
- (Continental) Breakfast quality is excellent. Far better than I would have expected given the nature and condition of the rooms
- Excellent location if you need to be close to the train station. A 10 minute walk to the nearest shops/restaurants. Taxi or bus to the city centre.
- Recommended for students or labourers - who make up most of the clientele. I'm sure that this place is not designed to attract business travellers like myself (see last point below).

Cons
- Tiny! I could literally almost touch all four walls when stood in the centre of my room. This is what I would expect a comfortable jail cell to look like.
- I'm 5'6'' and my head nearly touched the roof of the shower room
- Worse still, when lying in bed, my feet were touching the end of the bed (wall). Anyone 6 feet tall would not be able to lay down straight. This is not an exaggeration.
- I had a bunk bed room. The top bunk looked ok, but the bottom bunk was made up of a couple of mattresses laid on the floor!
- Wifi was not available in all rooms. You have to go to the breakfast room if you want to use an internet device. It does state this on their website, however it does not state this on third-party booking sites. In mitigation, it appears that they may be in the process of installing a new wifi system, it's not clear whether this would provide in-room access.
- The front door is open all day until late, making any prolonged period spent in the breakfast room quite chilly
- Room condition is worn. No phone, as advertised - not that I needed it.
- Bathroom/Toilet is cramped - you have to navigate around the sink to reach the toilet and the positioning is such that you could quite comfortably wash your face while sitting on the toilet.

- Value for money is awful. One of the main reasons I didn't expect a hostel-type accommodation is that the price point is within the budget hotel range of Travelodge, HI Express etc. which are significantly superior. Spend the extra £10-20. If it wasn't for this last point, I would have put the experience down to a bad choice on my part and not posted this review.

Room Tip: As close as possible to the breakfast room if you want in-room wifi (assuming they haven't insta...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank PenriJ
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We were only staying the one night in Cambridge and didn't want to spend too much. This option proved to be ideal. It was cheap and right next to the station. The town is a short walk away - only the downright lazy would object.

The bedroom was very clean and had an en-suite toilet and shower which was perfectly adequate. I don't like too much heat so the room was fine for mee, but I can imagine it would be a tad too cold for some.

Reception was all a bit impersonal and even though we did leave our luggage there the next day - I had little faith in their safety as the person behind the desk literally was so laid-back he was horizontal. The man was lying down. However, when we went back to get our bags - they were safe and sound. I think that had more to do with the clientéle than the hostel's staff or security measures.

The continental breakfast was better than I'd expected and the place had a nice hostelly-liberal-let's all read the guardian together vibe.

Overall a good experience.

Room Tip: Take something thermal just in case.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple