“Poor customer service and basic amenities”
Review of Aylesbray Lodge

Aylesbray Lodge
Ranked #101 of 126 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Tiny room with view of overgrown garden. £95 for same money we had a room with a bathroom bigger than the room the previous week in Mayfair London . Soap dispenser was empty, shower gel dispenser was empty, only half a toilet roll, smallest toilet /shower room, shower head did not fit in holster, extremely tiny room, breakfast not included, still tenner in a taxi into town.
Worst of all the booking confirbation and advertisement on booking site said 11am checkout, the landlord told us checkout was at 10am, so wrong info. Definitely not staying here again. We were in the "annexe", which was a house two doors down converted into rented rooms, and as many as u can cram into one building.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank SmartDamo

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I booked this place last minute using booking.com - a double room at £55 (reduced from £100) . Four days before our stay my wife was unwell and we were unsure if we'd travel, so I requested a cancellation - George (the owner) was unpleasant to speak to on the phone... he directed me to booking.com for the cancellation. I called booking.com, they informed me it was up to George to authorise the cancellations, so they called George and asked if he'd allow a cancellation. Georege said no.

48 hours later I had a request from booking.com to call George. I did this and enquired if he was able to let the room to someone else after all (foolishly thinking he might have been trying to do something nice in the name of customer relations) , before I finished the sentence George gave me an angry monologue explaining that it was just him and his wife, and they weren't going "to stay in all day, in case I decide to come". I managed to interrupt him and explain we'd be there between 6&7pm - or I'd call to confirm contrary on the day.

I arrived at 6.30pm on the day and met George.. he appeared hard faced and slightly annoyed by my presence. He muttered something about the room being smaller because it was cheap (but on the website it was supposed to be the same as a standard double for two people, just reduced!) , the bed was tiny for a double, and suspiciously there was only one towel and one cup for tea... sounds almost like it was a single room!

The room was clean and the TV worked, the en-suite was pretty grimy and really really small - I almost got wedged between the sink and door upon my exit from the shower! It wasn't that bad though, it was hot and functional - I've seen worst in third world countries.

Breakfast was highly entertaining!

George did try and be polite at breakfast, but I'm an awkward customer and broke his resolve quickly.

My wife is a vegetarian, when she asked the landlady for a fry up with no meat the landlady had a kind of conniption, like she was going to explode into a million pieces - but luckily she over came this complex situation and delivered beans and eggs. My bacon was lovely.. but it was a cheap sausage - no excuse for a cheap sausage in a expensive B&B.. the beans weren't heinz and they didn't use the sausage a break water to protect the egg. But i can't complain, I've had worse breakfasts in third world countries.

At the end of the meal we asked for some more bread (we'd had 1 slice each). George walked by and tossed some granary toast on the table, "This is all the bread I have for you people" he grumbled. We went back to our room for a kip - but then realised checkout was at 10am... so we just packed and left.

2  Thank Grolus
Reviewed April 11, 2013

After booking on laterooms, we contacted the owners to see when we could arrive. The owner replied quickly and advised though said that checkout was 10am-laterooms email states 11am. paid £50 for room only. Breakfast was not offered on arrival. The lady who welcomed us, appeared pre-occupied. we had to wait 5 mins for anyone to answer the door. We were taken to the annexe (a few doors down and not at the lodge itself). The hall and landing was magnolia with luggage scrapes on the wall. Room 4. The room itself was clean, but had cobwebs in some corners. Double bed, very small shower and toilet in en-suite (very small). Room overlooked garden, which was a shame as the garden was very overgrown. The room had tea/coffee facilities and a small flat screen tv on the wall. Upon checking out, at 10am, again we had to wait over 5 mins for anyone to see to us. The gentleman thanked us for our stay-but did not ask which room or even who we were. Again, the word pre-occupied came to mind. OK if you are looking for a bed to sleep in, but that's it. According to website breakfast can be available at additional £8, but you can get large brekkie in town for £5. About 45 min walk from city centre and £10 in a taxi back to the lodge. Puzzled why it is 4 star?

Room Tip: Book room only-on cheap deal website. Not worth full price on website.
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Owner had some helpful points about Cambridge. I'd rate it at three stars and thus, wouldn't describe it as a bargain, but we were comfortable enough for one evening. Breakfast ok, but I'd shop around a little more and see if you can do better.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

After having been booked in here for a week I was (understandably) very nervous about staying after reading all the awful reviews. It's a B&B - not a 5 star hotel - my room was clean, reasonably sized and DID have an en suite (although I would have walked if it had not had one!). I particularly liked the soap and shower gel in the bathroom! The bed was not the most comfortable but was OK and the room was a bit noisy but I always travel with ear plugs so that was not a problem. The television was good, wi-fi access a bit slow at times but worked generally and I was given the password on arrival. George was delightful - a real gentleman who could not have been more helpful - I asked his advice about many things (as I have never been to Cambridge before) and his advice was always spot on. Breakfast was fine - the full English was a bit too fried but his poached eggs were excellent! I would stay again happily!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank 927Saly
Reviewed July 4, 2012

This place was booked by our company as there were no other options - a park bench would have been preferable.

We were charged for 6 nights even though we only stayed for 5 nights. Repeated attempts to get this money back have failed. The owner was extremely rude, claiming that he was tired and could not deal with the problem as he had been up for 10 hours. Poor baby!

Very rude and completely unprofessional - avoid this place like the plague.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Andy935
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I have never written a review before on this site but felt compelled to impart my experience of this place to the world.

My colleague booked this place for a business trip to Cambridge. We arrived at 10pm, but let the owner know in advance we would be arriving at that time. Before even saying 'hello' the owner began to berate my colleague about the lateness of our arrival... very strange. Even stranger was that he insisted upon calling us boys when we were both 25 years +! And he then said that we had to give one of his lady members of staff 'something' for her working late!

An unconventional start to the stay, however we persevered but couldn't help stare in disbelief at the post-it note on the door marked with our room number in blue biro- was this place for real? Was Beadle going to jump out and scare us even further with his astonishingly small hands?

The room itself (room 10... according to the post-it but i'm sure these can be changed quite easily) was tiny and had two camp beds decorated in lovely floral bed sheets. In fact, thinking back, I don't think there was an inch of the place not decorated in garish floral print with the faint whiff of old people's home crossed with the luminous essence of Willy Wonka's lickable wall-paper.

The walls were paper thin and the room had a tinny echo to it which was quite comical, the drawers were dirty and it was just a bit rubbish to say the least.

You had to share a communal bathroom just like a hostel, this was dirty and had mould on the walls as there was minimal ventilation.

Right... rant over. Needless to say, we made a sharp exit in the morning remembering to never return!

(by the way, tripadvisor asked for a review on the swimming pool and fitness centre... unless they mean the puddle in the driveway and the tin of baked beans dumbell, then they were non-existent)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business