“Nightmare Accomodation”

Ranked #96 of 122 Cambridge B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Nightmare Accomodation”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

When I arrived there was no one to greet me. I spent 15min outside ringing the bell. The room was below the standards I would expect from a 4* rated accommodation. Owner was repeatedly rude and unfriendly when I had to phone him to ask for the Wi-Fi password and for a room with a dressing table (surely a standard for most rooms). After 4 hours, I had to leave Aylesbray Lodge and book into a local hotel. Aylesbray Lodge still charged me the full amount for my room - whatever happened to courtesy?

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank L O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2011

They wanted to know when we arrived so we rang the day before and told them - 4:30pm. Arrived spot on time - nobody there. Forced to phone and they were "10 minutes away". We waited almost 30 minutes before someone arrived and then it was denied that we had agreed a time followed by a strong of excuses! Difficult to recommend.

Room Tip: Ring ahead on the day of travel and keep ringing ahead to make sure someone is there.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Harry Z

Travelers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2011

My daughter and I came down to Cambridge to look at colleges. Our room was pretty, large and very clean (I could have easily been a room at the Hilton!).

Another plus was the staff. They were very friendly and helpful; the owners' daughter studied her BA at Oxford University and sat with my daughter for almost an hour giving her interview advice with which my daughter was delighted.

Would highly recommend this quaint pretty guesthouse to anyone.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank gaston d
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2011

After being badly let down the night before by another b&b, we were lucky enough to get into Aylesbray lodge. George was very friendly and helpful. He showed us to our room (which was in the house next door but one) though it was small- it was very modern, clean and fresh. The power shower was really good and we had lovely fresh soft towels(with a chocolate on top) The flat screen digital tv was an added extra. It was a bit of a rush to be down for breakfast as it was served between 8.30-9.15. After a late Saturday night we could have done with it going on till 9.45. But it was well worth waiting for- we chose full English and we were offered more toast and drinks if we wanted it. George spent time chatting to us and made sure we were happy with everything. Overall a lovely stay but was a little over priced £85 per night . £70 would have been nearer the mark.

Room Tip: front bed house next door had a bay so was bigger
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank peasoup08
Ilkley, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2010

This was a terrible experience for me travelling alone with a baby and a young child. I booked late (8pm) and was offered a room that didn't fit a travel cot. I was then shown another suitable (bigger) room but the owner thought he could rent the room out at a higher rate and implied that I may have to move rooms if this was the case. He had the nerve to tell my son not to mess up the bed he wasn't going to use....so being tired and a bit over it I opted for the smaller room. I was helped with my luggage, but declined a half hearted offer to help me move the furniture so I could fit the travel cot....The room is at the front of a semi which is a few doors down from the main house. Clean, and recently (cheaply, eg., unlined curtains) refurbished I think, with alot of traffic noise. Basically not worth the money. I will never stay here again.
Even more insulting was the fact that for £25 more I could have stayed at 5 star hotel a few miles out of Cambridge that night.....

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Wellington, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2010

I recently had to attend a training course in Cambridge with my boss, the only problem was he hadn't booked a hotel and we had to ring half a dozen hotels and B&B's until we found a place with two rooms available! When we arrived at the Aylesbray we were warmly greeted by George, he quickly got us booked in as it was quite late and we all wanted to get some sleep. He very sweetly made sure I had the family room which had the four-poster bed and my boss had the twin room (the last two rooms in the building). The room was warm, clean and nicely decorated, the bathroom was ensuite and just as clean. Breakfast was good, I've never had my cereal brought to my table in a hotel before. Checkout was instant, you just leave you key on the desk and say bye bye! My only problem was the location, it was a 45 minute walk into the city centre so we left our car and got a taxi in.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Donnakim
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2010

We were apprehensive - the poor reviews here had us wondering: nitpicking guests or fair comment? The welcome was warm and Anna & George continued to be friendly & helpful. The room was small yes - the bathroom weeny! But it was clean & well planned - decent wardrobe & drawer space; make-up mirror on the dresser, superb shower. Breakfast was great & we felt looked after. 15mins walk to the folk festival. We'd stay again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple