“Well-run hotel in a good location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Regent Hotel

Regent Hotel
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Well-run hotel in a good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

This hotel is small but clean, well appointed and efficiently run.The double room was a good size, with a splendid bathroom.Everything was very fresh and well-maintained. The continental breakfast was all one would expect, with particularly good coffee and served in the small breakfast room overlooking Parker's Piece.
The staff are friendly and efficient and do all they can to please their guests.
It is well located, only 10-15 minutes walk from the shopping areas and main attractions.
Well worth a return visit.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Polish first
Okotoks, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

The hotel is very well situated by Parker's Piece, opposite Downing College and a few minutes from the city centre and many colleges. Our bedroom was acceptable in size although the bathroom was a little cramped. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Parking is a problem.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

Charming, lovely hotel overlooking Parker's Piece. We got an executive suite with a pullout couch for our daughter and the room was quite large by European standards. Beautifully appointed furniture and decorations in the rooms and throughout the hotel. The staff were all very helpful.

Only complaint is the patrons leaving nearby bars/clubs between 12am-3am, are quite loud, and would wake us up each night. Finally I started wearing earplugs and that remedied the problem, but if you're a light sleeper, beware. Also, the walls are quite thin...one night I could hear the man in the room above us snoring, and the next night a couple was having quite an argument at 3am above us. I called the front desk and asked if they wouldn't mind asking them to lower their voices, and the operator kindly did.

Breakfast is in a sunny room overlooking the gorgeous greenery of Parker's Piece and had enough to chose from to please all. The servers were very kind and helpful.

Would recommend, just with earplugs too.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
No. Viriginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

I stayed at the Regent Hotel on 3/21-3/24. I originally planned on staying at a B&B out of the city center, but decided I needed lodging closer in to coordinate with a friend who was working in Cambridge during my visit. I checked several hotels and decided on the Regent, both for location and character. I liked the idea of staying in an old, renovated building, and also in an independent hotel rather than a chain.

My initial online inquiry was quickly responded to by receptionist Liz Skeels, Liz continued to provide assistance throughout my stay as well as some interesting chats. She is a delight to deal with and a real asset to the hotel. I stayed the first night in a standard double overlooking the street, but heard very little noise. It was good sized with a spotless bathroom and a design of mathematical formulas, which I thought was perfect for a university town. It also reminded me of how poor I was at maths.

I moved to an executive suite on the 3rd floor for the next two nights. The room was large enough for two to stay comfortably, with a balcony overlooking Parkers Piece. The weather did not allow use of the balcony, but I enjoyed kicking back in the comfortable chairs and observing all the activities. I also enjoyed the tea selection and water (still and sparkling) provided with the suite. The walls were papered with scenes of Cambridge which I enjoyed, but thought the formulas of the previous night were more creative. The suite had a larger, but also spotless bathroom, and combined with the other amenities I thought was a good value for Cambridge, a not inexpensive city. I slept soundly all three nights in the very comfortable beds, which is unusual for me when away from home.

Breakfast was the same each morning but I found the selection allowed for some variation. I had some combination of cheese, toast, fresh fruit, pastries and tea. There was also several types of cereal and meat. The servers were pleasant and efficient and the area was very clean. An adjoining room had newspapers and tourist information, which I read in comfortable chairs next to a fireplace. It was a nice place to relax as was the breakfast area, which was very bright and overlooked the park. The free wifi throughout the hotel was consistently strong in the rooms and common areas.

I was very pleased with my stay at the Regent and would recommend it to others. It is an excellent base from which to enjoy the attractions of Cambridge. The staff responded quickly and graciously to my requests (e.g. an adapter, more tea) and also moved my luggage when I changed rooms. I walked everywhere within the city, from the airport bus to the hotel, to the sights, shopping, restaurants and just wandering about to see how the city has changed since my previous visits. Thank you to the team at the Regent Hotel for an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Executive suites are worth the expense.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

Can only reiterate what I said in 2011 - still gets 5 stars from me.

If anything better - as I haven't had a repeat of the problems with the aircon controls.

And see photo for the stunning room décor - but you're in Cambridge, so what else would you expect?

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank nuttingcdef
Burlington, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

I get very anxious about booking hotels without personal recommendations and I was very nervous booking this solely based on online recommendations. But I was very pleased! Hotel location was great. We were less than a ten minute walk to the university and center Cambridge with all the shopping and restaurants you could possibly need. The room seemed to be newly renovated and was very clean. The bedding seemed new...the sheets were soft and very white and the comforter was very warm and cozy. The bathroom was much bigger than I expected and also seemed very new. The shower and glass doors were spotless...no mildew anywhere.

The lobby was small and quaint. The breakfast area was cozy and comfortable and the included continental breakfast had decent options including ham/cheese/salami for those of us that need our protein in the morning. Also part of the offerings were cold and hot cereals, fruit, yogurt and breads. They also had gluten free options including a GF cereal, granola and snack bars!

The staff was nice but I just wish they were a little more helpful with restaurant recommendations. They suggested a couple of lower end places nearby when there were several nicer options in center Cambridge. (Just walk around and view all of the menus that are posted outside!) Other than that, I have no complaints and would definitely recommend this hotel...it's clean, comfortable and convenient!

Room Tip: Our room was on the side of the main road. On Friday night it was loud when people were walking home...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

Good affordable option in Cambridge, particularly now that the rooms were recently remodeled, so everything is very new. Not a luxury establishment, more of a small, friendly, family hotel.

We opted for a larger room facing Parkers Piece and were glad we did since it was plenty sizable (particularly vs. our closet sized room in London), away from street noise, well lit/sunny, completely clean, generous bathroom size. Within walking distance of historic town center, also close to the bus station if you want to take short day trips out of town to nearby estates (well worth doing). Price was fair for the city given other options - most decent hotels in town are quite pricey. Breakfast okay, continental only.

Staff consistently friendly and helpful with bus and taxi information/arrangements. Only problem was tub drain not working well (surprising given recent remodeling).

Room Tip: Facing Parkers Piece is nice, worth upgrading to larger room if available
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business