“Decent Place, Centrally Located”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of A & B Guest House

A & B Guest House
Ranked #32 of 122 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Toronto
“Decent Place, Centrally Located”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I thought this guesthouse was pretty good. The proprietor and her husband were helpful and allowed us to leave our luggage with them for part of the day that we checked out. The breakfasts were tasty and there was plenty of food available in the mornings. The only thing to be mindful of is that if you are a North American, you might want to spring for one of their larger rooms. The room that we were in was on the top floor and so the beams from the roof made the room feel quite small (see photos already uploaded). The bathroom was also very small. All in all, good value for money - if I had more, I would have opted for a larger room on the 2nd floor.

Room Tip: Opt for a bigger room if available.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Chesterfield
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a business trip, the location near the train station was good as I arrived by train and was happy to walk into town after doing my bags off. Staff were very friendly and would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013
Kaunas, Lithuania
Reviewed March 8, 2013

First time visited Cambridge and chose A&B Guest house to stay for 2 nights. First of all, very good location, just 5 minutes walking from the train station, which I found really comfortable when coming by train almost in the midnight. (Walking to the city center just 15 minutes)
Although I arrived pretty late, stuff was waiting for me to check- in, showed me the room and also gave the map of the city recommending best places to see. Big plus - reachable wifi connection, could check emails, use web.
Room was warm and welcoming. Everything clean and tidy, as I always pay attention for this, hate when for example the bathroom is not cleaned properly. Breakfast was very good, could choose between full English (which I also tried, as never done before), vegetarian or continental. Good coffee, tea with milk, juice, fruit salads, yogurt and flakes with milk. Everything was fresh and stuff was very kind and helpful. Very nice atmosphere.
Recommend to stay there, they are really a friendly guesthouse, signboard doesn`t tell lies. Price fits to the service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed December 20, 2012

A&B Guest house is very close to train station and only 10 minutes walking distance from town center. I came to Cambridge to learn English and stayed here for couple of weeks. I was happy with service and breakfast menu which offered fresh fruit salad and continental breakfast. The room size was fair for single room. I appreciate that the guest house is very quiet so it was easy for me to study. What I found strange is that reception is open only in the morning and evening, so there is nobody in the afternoon. But I would not call it a minus. Overall, I was happy and would recommend this guest house to anybody.

Room Tip: Nr2 for solo travelers
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Anita O
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I have stayed at this Guest House on many occasions, it is ideally located to the railway station and University. Each time I have visited the staff I see are always very helpful. Breakfast in the morning is always very good and the rooms are comfortable, clean and very welcoming. I would recommend this Guest House, I have never stayed in one as good. Please take my advice if you want to stay for a few nights in Cambridge this is the ideal place to stay, great location and always a good stay.

Anthony Bashford

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Anthony B
AAA
Reviewed November 10, 2012

This B&B has an excellent position, near to the city centre (colleges and stuff) and very close to the railway station (literally 5 minutes on foot).
The full English breakfast is on overall good, I have a small complain on mushrooms which were a bit cold on mine breakfast but this is a minor thing. The continental buffet has a good selection, and I really appreciated that there was a good fruit salad. The last morning, I was leaving before breakfast and I received a packed breakfast (on request); two sandwiches, a yoghurt and a fruit. This was good.

The room was clean and nice with a bathroom, kettle (selection of teas + biscuits), and TV. Nothing to complain.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Chester
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We checked this B&B out on TripAdvisor before booking and reviews looked good. However, both of us were slightly disappointed for a supposedly 4* B&B - the room was small which can be fine but a double room that has no room for a wardrobe? Owners could be more creative on storage e.g. a few shelves so we could at least unpack. A shower shelf for soaps etc, something for towels (the notice about towels caused amusement e.g. 'if you want to keep them then put on towel rail'- the chance would be nice - not even room over the radiator for all so we had to ask for an exchange). The bed was badly made so instantly sheet came untucked. And clearly a plastic glass is only a first night bonus. Breakfast room was too small for amount of guests, very cramped and waiting girls couldn't really cope. Most guests were from abroad and we were a bit embarrassed as we get such good breakfast experiences in Europe. Must say on the plus side the girl on reception was lovely, good fruit salad, my partner said sausage and bacon was good quality, the room was very warm (on a very cold weekend) and very clean and clearly refurbished not that long ago; also despite being on main road room 1 was very quiet. It is not far off being good but a little more expense (not the cheapest bread, cereal, yoghurt, jam, biscuits etc) and sacrifice a room for a more human breakfast experience and would be much better.

Room Tip: Room 1 was small double but very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChesterEmma
Patricia074, Manager at A & B Guest House, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thanks for your review. I am sorry you were disappointed with your stay however the room you stayed in, is bigger than the required size for a four star rating. We could of course put a wardrobe in the room but have opted for a small hanging area (7 - 8 hangers) with shelf which is usually sufficient for guests staying for one or two nights like you. All shower rooms now have a shelf in the shower and most have a towel rail in the bathroom. There were hooks beside the shower for you to hang the towels.
I must apologize as we did have staffing issues during your stay which have since been addressed. Tea, coffee, plastic glasses etc.. are replenished on daily basis when rooms are serviced and beds are normally well made. This was also a contributary factor to your breakfast experience, the breakfast room is normally perfectly adequate for the number of guests we accommodate. Unfortunately we had a member of staff working who did not have a sufficient command of the English language which meant she struggled to understand guest orders which delayed breakfasts and also delayed tables being reset which meant breakfast room was a bit chaotic. I am glad you enjoyed the freshly chopped fruit salad and appreciated the quality of the sausage and bacon and I would like to point out that we always buy good quality ingredients and certainly do not buy the cheapest brands of bread etc... as suggested. I am sorry I was away during your stay and you didn't experience the normal level of service we provide and hope you will give us an opportunity to accommodate you again if you are back in Cambridge.