“friendly guest house”

Ranked #36 of 122 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Milan, Italy
“friendly guest house”
Reviewed November 20, 2011

i really enjoyed stay in Patricia (really friendly owner) guest house. people working there are really nice and friendly, rooms very clean, and breakfast really good! i stayed there for one week visiting friends and i felt as at home. close to train station, very confortable and silent place! i think i'ìll come back in A&B Guest House every time i'll be in Cambridge.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank fabio c

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I needed to go to Cambridge on a work trip, so I booked with A and B Guest House. Perfect location with easy access to the town center and railway station. I received a really warm welcome from the staff and was provided with map of the city. The whole house and my room were so clean and tidy. The breakfast was lovely. Overall I had great stay in the B&B and in Cambridge. I highly recommend A and B Guest House.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Only stayed one night here but would definitely recommend. We stayed in one of the top floor rooms which had a nice view of a nearby park. It was within comfortable walking distance of the train station, cinema/bowling complex and downtown cambridge, which was very convenient since we were sans car. The shower was one of the best on our trip of 5 weeks thus far, and the breakfast - you really have to try it for yourself, words won't do it justice. Cambridge is a lovely town for many things, soaking up the campus-life feel, shopping, seeing the architectural masterpieces of the many colleges, walking or cycling along the Cam, or just to get away from tourist-riddled London few a spell (yes, I see the irony). We felt well rested after our short stay in Cambridge and the B&B played a large part. Good value and highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2011
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Had a wonderful experience at the A & B guesthouse. We were in Cambridge for a wedding and were very busy with all the preparations and arrangements. The guesthouse staff were friendly, helpful and accommodating at every moment, even though we had people rushing in and out. The guesthouse is lovely -- very pretty, bright and cheerful -- and is just a few minutes walk to central locations. I'd strongly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Really lovely Guest House with great staff and fantastic breakfast. We stayed in a Kingsize double room at the A & B Guest House for four days whilst visiting Cambridge. Our friends didn't book in time to get in to the same Guest House and ended up staying down the road in another Guest House. They were really jealous of our room which was very clean, large, airy (important in July!) with a massive comfortable bed. Breakfast was really nice. They had fruit salad chopped freshly each morning with a selection of yoghurts and any combination of English breakfast that you wanted. The staff were really friendly and they have on site car parking. I would recommend this to anyone and am hoping to be able to book my parents into the same room later on in the year.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2011

If you are on a tight budget and look for very basic facilities (just a warm bedroom and cooked breakfast ) along with private (en suite) bathroom around the city centre of Cambridge, this is perhaps the cheapest option. It is located just the opposite of Youth Hostel. Train station and National Express Bus terminus are within 10 minute's walking distance. They have a number of double and single rooms. Single rooms are just larger than a pigeon hole with a very very small toilet fitted with a shower (at 7 feet altitude -fixed -so inconvenient particularly if you are not interested to wash your head), small wash basin, mirror and WC. Even in that room you can get a TV and WIFI. If you have a laptop you have to use it on your bed as there is no space for putting a table and chair. But Cambridge is a very costly university town -full of tourists and academic visitors. You may not get accommodation in any hotel or bed and breakfast close to the city centre even if you have a big budget travel plan. So book well in advance (they have 2 or 3 single rooms -perhaps 6 or 7 double rooms) -but this hotel did not have good online booking facility - most of the time there is nobody to answer your call and no response by email. I had to go in person to book a room in advance (I stayed in another hotel -so I could do that).

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank PS_JU
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 10, 2011

To start of, I haven't stayed at the hotel. But I do want to share my bad experience with trying to book a room.

Initially I sent a reservation enquiry by e-mail. I got a response on which I possitivily responded with a confirmation that I would like to book the room. The owner asked me for full credit card details (including security code). I responded with another confirmation (including my contact details) that I would indeed like to stay at the B&B but that I was hesitant to share such information over the internet and I asked wether it was possible to secure the booking by means of a down-payment.

Since the response took a while, I picked up the phone and spoke to the owner. She was unwilling to secure the booking by means of a down-payment and would only accept full credit card details. I discussed this with my wife and phoned the owner later the same day, only to find out that she 'gave' the room to somebody else in the meantime. Appearently the enquiry and two seperate explicit confirmations were not enough.

I'm very disappointed about the 'customer service' during my attempt to pay for the room, and I will unfortunately never stay here.

Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Noor_Ogg
Patricia074, Manager at A & B Guest House, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
I am responding to this review but really don't agree with it being posted at all. There was four days between the initial enquiry and several emails and couple of telephone calls. On the initial enquiry and subsequent emails, the guest was informed that to guarantee the booking a credit card is required, until that is supplied the reservation is not confirmed. This was made clear to the Guests from the first enquiry. This is now required by nearly all Guest Houses and hotels in Cambridge and in fact I have never encountered a place that will hold a room for you for four days while you discuss whether you are happy to give your credit card details any where in the world, let alone just England. I am surprised that the Guest has even posted this review as having explained the situation to the Guest, that I am running a business and that I just can not contact every enquiry to find out if they would like to go ahead with the reservation, they did agree that they understood that and could see it from my point of view but they were disappointed that they would not be staying with us. I am sure if they have been quicker in agreeing details with another Guest House in Cambridge and hope they enjoy their stay.