“Good base”

Ranked #22 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
London, United Kingdom
“Good base”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Location is good with easy access to town centre. The staff are helpful and pleasant and the décor and general appearance of the hotel are attractive. I stayed in a single room which was a bit small but the space was well thought out and it suited my needs. Continental breakfast was included and I was pleasantly surprised by the choice available. As others have said, Cambridge is not cheap for hotels but this was reasonable. I would imagine that in the summer , the location would be even better with views across the river and with pleasant outdoor seating at the rear of the hotel. I would definitely stay again if I needed a base in Cambridge.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Cauli2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Polish first
Heidelberg, Germany
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Hotel is clean but old. Bathrooms are very basic for the price. No lotion, etc. Breakfast is OK but hot breakfast overpriced in comparison to city establishments. Very thin walls and bad insulation of rooms. Staff very nice and helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Sybille K
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Hotels are generally very expensive in Cambridge; I found Arundel House Hotel to be good value for money, in line with other Cambridge Hotels.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and decor was up-to-date.

The breakfast was included on my tariff, I found it to be generous and had a broad selection of items.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jennifer P
Aptos
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I come back to visit Cambridge from the US every year or so. I try to book a guest room in college, but when a guest room isn't available, I stay at the Arundel House Hotel. It's not modern, it doesn't have all that many amenities, and the single rooms are small. However, the location (across the river from Jesus Green) is very convenient, they do an excellent breakfast and, unlike some of the other reviewers, I've never had a bad service experience. I suppose it just feels like being back in England, which is what I'm looking for!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter, but don't have a view of the river
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Greg H
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed at the Arundel house Hotel on New Years Eve 2013. The room was comfortable with tea making facilities plus TV with satellite . The Shower/bath worked well . The hotel staff were very pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was a continental style and was adequate for our needs. The position of the hotel was excellent with just a short walk across Jesus field to the City (10 Mins)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Antony G
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We are from the entertainment and hospitality capital of the US - Las Vegas, Nevada and we have high standards. The Arundel House was an A++. Our family room (lower level, faced Chesterston Road, 1 double, 1 twin bed) was Clean, Neat, Comfortable, Airy and Perfect for our needs. The bath was great with a tub/shower combo and large - surprisingly large! Housekeeping was SUPERB. However, the restaurant, dining & conservatory were FABULOUS and DELICIOUS. Breakfast was, for us, awesome; as we eat a lot of fresh fruit and could choose fresh fruit, porridge (oatmeal), and our son could have hashbrowns and bacon, and I could have tomatoes, and my husband could have sausage and a poached egg. We ate at other more expensive restaurants in Cambridge, but the dinner at the Arundel was Better than than the other restaurants we ate at during our stay in Cambridge. We actually cancelled a dinner at Loch Tyne and ate in on New Years Eve and were really glad we had - food excellent and cozy atmosphere. FLEXIBLE and WARM AND FRIENDLY Staff all the way around, every area of hotel. Took pictures of us (yes, we were typical tourists) and wanted our picture in front of the Christmas Tree in the lobby. We sat upstairs and read in the afternoon one day. Front desk helpful and got us taxi's as we needed them, gave directions and advice when asked. Price was very fair (we did family room with full breakfast), we felt it was a very good price (especially when compared to other properties in Cambridge). Overall, we LOVED the Arundel and can't wait to come back and stay again!

Room Tip: If you have a family - email / call ahead and see if a family room is available, their are only a fe...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank E C
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Cambridge seemed to be "full" so I had little choice when I booked this hotel for one night for myself. Having read reviews beforehand I was rather dreading it.
I wonder whether the majority of reviewers were from overseas and had higher expectations of a middle of the road hotel?
The public areas were bright and spacious although rather chilly. At breakfast the single fan heater was losing the battle to heat the conservatory.
My room was a twin which overlooked the road and probably the river, I couldn't see as it was thick fog. It was nicely decorated and the bathroom was lovely. The odd thing was the tv which was fixed on a wall at 90` from the bed so you couldn't possibly watch tv in bed.
My evening meal was a decent lasagne albeit a small portion.
The worst thing was the breakfast. It was just miserable. For £116 for one person, all there was was cereal, toast and some tired rolls. Coffee was lukewarm from a flask.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo