“Up to a Standard?”

and 1 more site!
Arundel House Hotel
Ranked #25 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Its difficult to rate this hotel as it apparently doesn’t claim to have any stars. Overall it was considered somewhat poor value for money; but it was a busy graduation/half term weekend and Cambridge is a popular tourist city short of good accommodation, which naturally inflates prices too… The value for money is also reduced by the late check in [15-00] and early check out of 10-30 [11-00 on Sunday], plus the basic rate only includes a Continental Breakfast.

The room allocated was in the quiet “Coach House” annex in the grounds to the rear. It was spacious, clean and well presented with a large “double” bed [i.e. two singles put side by side with sheets over the join]. Despite being on the ground floor noise [from rooms above or the car park outside the window] wasn’t a problem resulting in a very good nights sleep. The Continental Breakfast with a good selection of items was ample, following the large college dinner eaten the previous night, although tea and coffee pots seemed to get mixed up...!

The reception staff were cheerful and polite, with one helping me locate a [renamed?] street in Cambridge I wasn’t familiar with. The hotel is handily located opposite Jesus Green so quite close to many colleges, city centre etc.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Coach House Annex are quieter for a good nights sleep.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Brassed_Off_Jynxed

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed at the Arundel for an social evening with our car club friends. This was a group booking arranged through the club. For £150 we had bed breakfast and evening meal. We had a double room in the Coach House which is an annex at the back of the hotel. The room was spacious with a huge comfortable bed (6ft wide!). It had the usual hotel facilities of reasonable quality. Bathroom was clean except for a dribble mark down the front of the toilet pan. We had a 3 course evening meal which was nice. Some of our party complained of slow service. The service wasnt quick, but it stretched out the evening nicely, and with a group of 12 of us there was lively conversation to fill the time between courses. My partner and I had been privy to some information that there was another group of 17 people also dining that night, so making allowances for this, I dont feel there was much to complain about. The staff were all friendly and helpful. The bar prices werent extortionate, but a pity it closed at 12am. Our room rate included a full english Breakfast (I think a standard room rate included a continental breakfast or an extra £7.95 to have the full). I think it was one of the best hotel breakfasts I have had. High quality bacon and sausage. Overall, I couldnt say that it was "value of money", but it wasnt a disappointment.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Lucylocket35
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I was impressed by the single room. It was well-appointed and not too small, with everything one could hope for - attractive decor, good t.v, plenty of storage space, comfortable bed, good shower, and clean. The continental breakfast was excellent and the whole was very good value indeed.

Room Tip: Front room facing the river and Jesus Green would have the best view but it would be quieter round t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MezS_12
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed for three nights last week in a tiny bedroom and even smaller bathroom apparently designed for Sylvanians. That said the hotel isv very clean with highly patterned new carpets throughout. Continental breakfast is poor. Cooked breakfast is the best I have had in Cambridge at any hotel I have stayed in. At £85 a night it should be included in the room rate. Wide choice of restaurant meals, some of which appeared to be bought in. Conservatory is better vaue. Good location and nice staff. The bed and mattress were poor.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Charles B
Reviewed February 7, 2013

The location is excellent, an easy walk through the park into town, excellent car parking (which is hideously expensive in Cambridge so parking up at the hotel is the perfect solution). I also found the continental breakfast to be quick, efficient, and sufficiently varied in terms of fruits (oranges, pineapple, two types of melon, fruit basket) yoghurts and toast etc but a little uninspired in terms of breakfast pasties. But a minor quibble.

The hotel is clean and quiet. Some of the decor is alarming -- 1980's swirl carpets and curtains in places but sadly all built to last for decades more to come. It would cost a fortune to refit the hotel so lets accept it for what it is.

However, less acceptable given the cost, is the quality of the bedrooms and the beds. I had a single room. It was tiny, bed pinned against the wall, shower room simply the width of a narrow shower. The furnishings were dated and the bed uncomfortable. It did not make for a good nights' sleep and on this basis it would be unlikely that I would stay again. Nothing wrong with the cleanliness, just the lack of comfort and quality. Jaded.

In terms of staff,I did not find them very welcoming or engaging. They were neither impolite nor unpleasant but just rather disinterested. The receptionist wanted to book me in as swiftly as possible, gave no welcome, no "can I help" messages but bundled me off as soon as possible. I do so dislike this. Almost everyone coming to a hotel has made a long journey (mine was just over 300 miles on a cold, miserable February day) -- after all, if people had not been travelling they would have returned home, so arriving somewhere really is an opportunity to greet someone, see if they would like a cup of tea, show them where the loos are, and generally welcome them into the hotel. It does not need Flowers, embraces, or a brass band --- but something a little more than "sign here --- first door on the right, up the stairs, press the button and swipe the card, - breakfast 7.30 - 9.30" i think it is what one might call hospitality --- and it costs not a penny more!

Its a shame --- the City is magnificent, the location spot on, and I am sure there is no negative intent as such..... but a little more warmth and genuine interest would make a lot of difference.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Theocsbrian
Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is the first hotel that I have walked out of.

The room I was put in was unclean, shabby with just about the worst bed I have seen outside of a rubbish tip. Apart from beeing to small and very narrow the mattress was about two years past the point of tired. Sleep quality is my number 1 concern so I left and went to the nearest Premier inn. I was told that I would have to pay for a night (company policy apparently).

Oh and when I was trying to book the premier inn on my lap top, I found that the wifi was rubbish too (kept dropping out).

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank msrbcel
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We booked the Arundel for one night as we were going to visit our daughter who has just moved to Papworth to work. A central hotel was our first priority with free parking a second if possible. The Arundel House Hotel is so easy to find, unbelievably easy. Perfect location, few minutes walk from the center where all the shops and wonderful restaurants await. Parking at the back of the hotel is excellent. Check in was friendly. We booked thru booking.com and they gave us the invoice with the receipt and a room key. Security is excellent with their system. Room was overlooking the rear of the hotel. Small room, small bed too....but the bathroom was spotless and beautiful big fluffy towels and toiletries. Bed was very comfy. TV was mounted on a side wall which was a bit difficult for watching at night time...minor quibble. room even had a safe. Breakfast was continental was included in our rate of 95ukl. Breakfast was nice. Bar is nice too where we had a lovely drink before heading to bed. The location of the hotel is really perfect. The staff are completely friendly. I enquired as to whether they could take a blind dog puppy in training in future (I am getting one soon) as I will still be going to see our daughter but would have the dog with me. The staff member was not sure and said he would get someone to call me. The following day we got a call from the Manager, who said we would be welcome with the puppy....service was great....thank you to all who made our weekend so great and we look forward to many more.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple