“Like stepping back in time”
Review of Rose and Crown

Rose and Crown
Ranked #144 of 705 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 24, 2012

The Rose & Crown is a nice friendly pub for a drink and the interior is well designed. However, the food menu is absolutely traditional - prawn cocktail starter etc. The veggie option is an uninspiring pasta bake that I do not want to eat again. They have introduced pizzas to the menu but the oven was broken on my last visit so could not try those - but would have liked to. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I have found the service to be efficient, friendly and helpful. There do seem to be quite a lot of takers for the food in this pub so the menu style suits some but for me it needs an overhaul to modernise it and offer a greater variety for veggies and lighter dishes such as salads.

1  Thank CultureVultureCamb
There are newer reviews for Rose and Crown

Reviewed August 12, 2012

On visiting relatives recently we met at the Rose & Crown as a convenient location and one that looked the part; nice from the road, initial impression good.

The was 10 of us arriving arriving around 20 to 9 due to travel delays. We were immediately told food orders finished at 9, so we were in time but instead of welcoming the extra custom (it wasn't very busy) they made sure we knew we were an inconvenience.

Thereafter followed a catalogue of issues, the highlight being the pizza. One of which was dropped as it was being served, returned to the plate with a "it didn't land anywhere nasty" and served, despite the topping having fallen off one slice. The other pizza was cold on top but black underneath, even my daughter who would pretty much have eaten anything by then had to send it back. Above all, it was the reaction to all these issues that was worst, the staff simply didn't care. It was both frustrating and very disappointing.

In summary, the Rose and Crown is the perfect stereotype of what every overseas visitor believes English quisine to be. Poor food, poor service. Even the beer wasn't great.

There are so many better places to eat so, in these difficult economic times, I for one would prefer to spent my money on a business that deserves it.

3  Thank WestcountryJon
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I was invited for a birthday, Sunday Lunch by my parents in law. They thought the Rose and Crown would suit my needs as I am a veggie. There was one veggie option on the menu although my father in law was told there was a choice of four. In the end I opted for a roast without the meat and my family's choice roast lamb. When the food arrived the plates were swamped with cold gravy, even though gravy was asked to be put 'on the side'. The yorkshire puddings were factory made, roast potatoes were like bullets. I could not eat mine. There were two califlower florets to share between two people 8 french beans, a few rock hard carrots and some very solid peas. The service was very poor. My father in law had to asked for mint sauce at least three times before any was brought to the table. Dessert was a joke. It took them 30 minutes to clear our main course away. We were not asked if the meal was okay. Finially when the desert menu was brought to the table after another 20 minutes wait, there was only three items to choice from. I choose chocolate cake, but that was stale. To top it all this pub does not sell any alcohol free beers. Drink sensible does not enter into the equation here I think. I WILL NOT BE GOING BACK. A very poor standard of service and food.

1  Thank Wulise
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Hoping for a good Sunday lunch just across the road from us, and were very pleasantly surprised by the interior.. at last, a gastro pub in Histon? It was quiet though. The service was friendly and attentive, the setting great. The menu was VERY limited (uh-oh). The plate held plenty of food but... the roast potatoes must have been done hours before, the meat (we tried roast porks and roast beefs) was chewy and overcooked. Plenty of vegetables but scalding hot (microwaved?) and under-cooked. Yorkshires looked good; not bad but soggy bases. And please can I pour my own gravy on my food? Needless to say, we didn't stop for pud. When the sign says 'new Chef', we'll try again. Until then... hopes dashed. Sadly.

1  Thank Debbie T
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Went with a big party for a birthday for Sunday lunch, the quality of the food was poor even for the price, the service and place was good just let down by the food and attitude as we were rushed off our table. Could be good with a bit of thought and effort.. Good luck to them but I will not be returning.

2  Thank Karenhawes1958