“Worth a visit”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Four of us visited the restaurant as part of a Summer evening outing to Cambridge.
The seating and eating areas are well placed by the river.

Service was attentive, and the food was most enjoyable.
I had the Sirloin on the bone...it was really tasty and cooked to my liking.

A free cocktail was included with our meal, which represented good value.

We agreed that we would like to return soon.

Dominika P, Manager at Riverside Brasserie at Hilton Doubletree Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear Victor F,
Thank you for your kind comments. I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your meal at our restaurant. We look forward to welcoming you back in the short future.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We made a reservation forthe restaurant initially as we had friends visiting from overseas and wanted to take them somewhere special. On arriving we discovered they only provided a buffet (which was not mentioned on the website), offering a limited carvery and selection of salads. There was no al la carte menu available. The selection of dishes on offer would not have looked out of place at a downmarket motel and was a long way from 'exquisite Cambridge luxury hotel dining experience' advertised on the website. We decided to have a drink in the garden and eat from the bar menu. Service was extremely slow, and the food when it came, awful and overpriced - I have eaten better fish and chips in a school dining room. The few staff who were there apologised, saying there was a function on. The fault lies not with the staff but cost cutting by the hotel, who obviously believe that having a prime riverside location in the centre of Cambridge allows them to overcharge and forget all about quality.

Dear Goldenplover1.
Thank you very much for your constructive feedback. I was most concern to learn about your experience. I believe you have visited us on Sunday, as we are offering carvery only on those days and unfortunately we do not take orders from al a carte menu; however I do apologise for not meeting your expectation on this occasion. We take on board all your comments and in a meantime we do hope to have another chance to welcoming you back.

Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

For the price that I paid for my bland food, it definitely wasn't worth it. However, the atmosphere was good with friendly staff.

Dominika P, Manager at Riverside Brasserie at Hilton Doubletree Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear RatnaB,
Thank you for your review. We are very pleased to hear that you found our staff friendly and overall good atmosphere; however I was most concern about your comment regarding food. I have shared your feedback with Head Chef and the necessary steps will be taken. Once again thank you and only by constructive feedback like yours we are able to improve our service. I hope we can welcome you back to the Terrace bar or restaurant in the future.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I booked a £32 afternoon tea for 2-mistakenly thinking it was a Hilton venue and it would be excellent.The bread was stale tasting and not of quality.The ration and contents were minimal at best.The 2 tiny scones were actually smaller than the ramekins of 2 teaspoons of jam and good clotted cream.Other tables also requested more jam!There were no milk jugs so a cup was used.The service was good from the young man-but only after trying to get served for nearly half an hour and going looking for someone to serve us twice- even though we had booked and ordered.The garden was busy,chaotic,noisy with litter and described as more like an upmarket Witherspoons than a Hilton product.It was a Sunday afternoon-but clearly the staff were running around and no clear format was evident for service of customers or for monitoring the quality of food-afternoon tea is not a complex or expensive product.Overall it was terrible and for £32 we felt robbed.

Dominika P, Manager at Riverside Brasserie at Hilton Doubletree Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear Charneca,
Thank you for your review. I am very sorry to hear about your afteroon tea and customer service disapointment. I have already passed your comments to the Head Chef to make necessary changes to improve quality and to make sure everything is up to standards without fail in future. I have also note your comments regarding noise in the garden. We attempt to provide a peaceful environment for all guests, occasionally garden is busy and can cause disturbance. However, I can only apologise for the disappointment. I do hope we will have another opportunity to show you a great service from us in close future.
Best regards,

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We met some friends for a late lunch here one afternoon in July. Though we had lived in Cambridge for six months, we had never had a meal at the Doubletree. I highly recommend it as it was a terrific view, relaxed but attentive service and good food. If you are looking for a nice place to get a way from the bustle of central Cambridge and have a quiet conversation this is the place! Plus it was great fun to watch all the people give a go at punting on the Cam.

Dear Smcdyre,
Thank you for your kind feedback. I am very delighted that you enjoyed the time at the restaurant Maybe on your next visit you will be trying punting yourself on the Cam to exerience all that we have to offer. Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Best regards,