“Small Family run hotel”
Review of The Lensfield

The Lensfield
Ranked #23 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed January 10, 2007

I stayed at the Lensfield for 4 nights in Jan 2007 and chose it based on the various reviews located here. That being said, I can't for the life of me figure out why it is rated #4 in Cambridge. It is a small hotel with 30 rooms and the rooms are small as well. The room was clean and I requested a quiet room and indeed it was quiet (not facing the street).

Now for the cons:

Since it is a small hotel, it for example doesn't have an ice machine. One has to ask for ice.

The radiator in my room was leaking and they did come fix once I mentioned it to them. One day I came back at 18:00 and waited for the heating to go on but it didnt so at 19:00 I asked them to turn the heating on. The rest of the hotel was heated but it would appear that one section had the radiator piping turned off.

The extra toilet paper roll in the bathroom on the first day was stained so I had to unroll a few sheets so as to avoid the stains.

The mirror in my bathroom only tilted down and did not stay tilted up.

The TV was limited to 10 channels: BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Chan4, Chan5, Sky Sports, Fox sports, Skynews, Hallmark and Biography channel. No pay per view. No movie channel.

It has a good location. I have stayed at the Gonville (ranked #18) and the rooms are nicer and more spacious. Next time I might try the University Arms (ranked #46) which is more of a hotel with conference rooms a bar and multiple sitting areas.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business

Reviewed November 12, 2006

Over heard at breakfast sums it up for me, " I have been coming here for years, and this place has nothing to recommend to it but the location". The location is truly excellent, as close to town as you would like, but there are buts..
We had a very glum basement family room, small, bristling with nylon, that for a two day week end was very over priced. Any feel of a hoped for treat was dashed.
The bar was closed, there was no food available after our five hour drive, the breakfast looked bountiful, but full of the value ingredients that our schools can no longer serve.
As a clean place to rest your head it was fine, but compared to other hotels within Cambridge at comparable prices it amounts to very poor value and a triumph of a good web-site.

Stayed: September 2006
2  Thank Cardifffamily
Reviewed November 2, 2006

Ed and I stayed at The Lensfield for a week in September. First of all, I was really impressed with their terrific website and spent quite a bit of time looking at all of the great photos. Upon contacting the hotel, I was E-mailed back very promptly with all pertinent information. I had several queries and all were answered most efficiently. When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted warmly. Our room was very charming and we were most satisfied with it. The breakfast area is extremely pleasant and the food and service were both excellent. The bar area is cozy and we spent several evenings sipping our drinks and chatting with the matriarch of the family. This is what makes the hotel special - the owners and their daughters are so pleasant and make you feel right at home. For me, this is one of the most important factors why I would return to The Lensfield. We most definitely will spend a few days there again on our next trip to the UK. I would recommend this hotel very highly to anyone visiting Cambridge. We travel extensively and you cannot beat this wonderful, family-run hotel for service, cleanliness, charm, good food, value for the money, and hospitality. And, I almost forgot, the outdoor patio is delightful, as well. All in all, one terrific place!
Sandra K. Arjona

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank Arjona
Reviewed October 28, 2006

We stayed at the Lensfield in October 2006 and would highl;y recommend it. I chose it on the basis of other Tripadvisor reviews and was happy to find them reliable. The room was spotless, comfortable, quiet; breakfast excellent; the welcome and service from the family owners warm and helpful. I would certainly go back and highly recommend the Lensfield as a reasonably-priced, comfortable hotel within easy walking distance of the town centre.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank cat29
Reviewed October 12, 2006

Stayed here for one night in a single room. Was very pleasent as were all the staff. Definately recommend. Breakfast was good also.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank IrelandGuy
Reviewed July 14, 2006

The Lensfield Hotel is located within a 2 block walk of the Fitzwilliam Museum and near several resturants. Our room was good-sized, with two closets, a flat screen TV, desk, ensuite bathroom and hospitality tray. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The included breakfast was good, but up to the B&Bs. We stayed at the Lensfield in May 2006 andI would definitely stay here again.

6  Thank MilesToGo
Reviewed July 9, 2006

We are tree friend who came to Cambridge for the yearly airshow at Duxford. We have stayed several places before, but this hotel was a surprise. We booked on Internet (they have a fancy web site), and the price was 65 GBP for each room/ night. We were all surprised over the friendly staff, even more surprised to find very clean rooms, and a good breakfast. The service in the breakfast restaurant was very good. This is a small (and I think familydriven) hotel that I could recomend to others who want to go to Cambridge. I felt at home from the first entry to the reseption area, until I left two days later. I am a frequent traveler and used to many hotels around in Europe and Asia, but I have never felt so confident as in the Lensfield Hotel in Cambridge.

5  Thank Olekri