“Enjoyed my stay at Lensfield”
Review of The Lensfield

The Lensfield
Ranked #24 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed October 23, 2007

A very pleasant hotel. Ideally located close to the centre of Cambridge. I was there for a course at the Addenbrookes Hospital - about half an hour on the bus. 5-10 minute walk to the bars, restaurants and shops in Cambridge. I thought that £65/night for a small single room sounded pretty steep, but the prices in Cambridge are generally high. As for the room - it was immaculate. Very comfortable. The bed was queen-sized. I had an en-suite shower room. I was highly impressed with the standard of cleanliness. My bed was fresh made every morning. The hotel offered a lovely breakfast - chouce of cooked or continental, and I thought that cafetiere coffee was a nice touch of class. All in all a pleasant hotel, wiith nice and welcoming staff. I would stay here again, without hesitancy, if I needed to return to Cambridge.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank CRMalcy

Reviewed October 23, 2007

I can agree with the comments that this hotel is clean and tidy and that it is in a pretty good location. Very easy to rail station (about 20 mins slow walk) and town centre (about 10 mins). They've obviously redecorated the rooms and the one we had was nice and quiet.
But...the shower was impossible for me to turn on--hubby had to do it and use all his strength. It never really got hot either, not even above warm. And someone said the breakfast was very good...no. Warm, 'Happy Shopper' brand yoghurts, dry, soggy 'croissants', watery, old eggs that looked powdered. And there were dessert cakes there (like black forest or something)--for breakfast! Don't know who had very helpful and friendly staff, the woman who checked us out didn't even bother to ask how our stay was or even say 'good morning'. If she had, I would have mentioned the breakfast issue to her--the hotel deserved to know, but obviously didn't care.
I don't know why this is no.1, it's nothing special. And it's also £99 for a room, not £35, as TripAdvisor says.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2007

My colleague and I stayed here by chance as other hotels we know were fully booked.
The Lensfield turned out to be a pleasant surprise. We found the rooms cosy and immaculately clean , reception staff were helpful and pleasant. Breakfast was first class - fresh and appetising with cheerful waiting staff.
We have previously stayed at The Gonville and The Garden House and I much preferred this slightly more traditional hotel (some rooms are on the neat side but this didn't concern us at all) and it represents good value in Cambridge.
We found this to be well situated , easily accessible to the railway station and with good access to town and university colleges. There's a decent pub next door, too!
All in all this was a happy find.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank ruskettes
Reviewed July 31, 2007

We enjoyed a two night stay at this lovely cozy Hotel in JULY.
The location is great - just perfect. The staff friendly and attentive.
The size of the room would probably be an issue with most Americans as I would think they are used to larger room sizes, but as this is a row of converted houses , not a modern high rised block, judge fairly. For us it was pleasant and comfortable. Our room was lovely, very tastefully furnished with a very clean bathroom. I must agree with most of the reviews I read before arriving, attention to detail is definitely noticed here and everything is extremely clean.
For anyone wanting a lovely, charming, comfortable and very clean place to stay, with very friendly and helpful staff, I would not hesitate to recommend this small hotel. Oh the breakfast is super too!
** I suffer from coeliac disease and therefore bringing along my own food products was not a problem for the Hotel. I was allowed into the kitchen to leave my food products and am astonished to read by one reviewer, (who obviously cannot tell the difference from fresh products) that the breakfast items were not of good quality.
It only remains to be seen that we and all other reviewers did not agree with what must be a very disgrunted guest.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
10  Thank svenskviking
Reviewed July 17, 2007

I stayed at the Lensfield as I had a conference on the Cambridge campus. The hotel is a bit out of the way-- I walked 30 minutes to the conference college, but it is only about a 15 minute walk from the city center and some other Cambridge colleges.

I had traveled from Scotland, so I arrived very late and I was worried that they would close the hotel. They had some issues with the night clerk, which they told me was rare, but it was very stressful trying to get into the hotel before it would be locked. I would call ahead if you have issues like I did.

The people who own the hotel are very professional and serious. I only found one woman to be "friendly", but I appreciated that they take their hotel very seriously. I accidentally left an earring, and got a very nice email letting me know they could mail it to me.

I enjoyed breakfast, as it was somewhat formal. They seat you and bring coffee and toast. Breakfast was fantastic-- typical British fare (eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, potatoes), but also amazing cakes and pastries. Coffee is great and it is brought in a carafe.

I really liked the size of the room, and had fast internet connections (which costs extra). I had enough closet space and drawers to put my clothes. I appreciated the decor, which was somewhat Victorian meets shabby chic. My room had a view of the street, and it could get loud on occasion. I must say, I will remember one evening fondly when I had my window open and hearing the rain and the window rattle. It was a lovely experience (no sarcasm intended). The hotel is old, but that is part of its charm. A honeymooner would love it.

Some cons-- the stairs are daunting especially if you bring some luggage (but you can do it!) and the street traffic can get a bit much (bring some earplugs). The water temperature/pressure varied a bit, but it was nothing unbearable. It is the result of an older hotel. Also, parking looks like it would be an issue, and it can be difficult to cross the street as a pedestrian to get to the hotel.

Overall, it was a nice experience. I would recommend it, if you like staying in a professionally run, older hotel with some charm.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
8  Thank lizicat
Reviewed July 15, 2007

Like another reviewer, I am a little confounded by the Lensfield Hotel. Based on its website it looks extremely impressive. The reality is a little less so. In fact, when the taxi pulled up outside, I struggled to recognise the place!

Good points first, though. The staff were very welcoming, very friendly and very professional. We booked an executive double room which was a reasonable size for an old building, and it had air conditioning which is a surprising and welcome addition. There was also a good TV, coffee & tea making facilities and a large bathroom. The location was good, with all the sights of Cambridge being a pleasant 15-20 minute walk away.

Now for the not-so-good points. As for the room decor, let's just say it wasn't to my taste, and very kitsch in my opinion. Our room faced away from the main road and so we had no traffic noise but we did get noise from the room above - they obviously had some creaky floorboards... We always bring earplugs for such eventualities and so it wasn't a major problem. The bed, however, was probably the hardest I've experienced in a long time. Given that my wife is 6 months pregnant she found it particularly uncomfortable. Why these small hotels don't invest in thick mattress toppers (especially in "executive" rooms) like the Marriott hotels do is beyond me. It was a particularly uncomfortable night's sleep. The breakfast was also a let-down. It is billed as being "copious" and "delicious" but after taking one look at the scrambled eggs (they use powdered eggs rather than fresh - a sure sign they don't care about taste) I decided on a simple breakfast of yoghurt, toast and cereal. That wasn't great either - the yoghurt was bad (and cheap at 26p per tub - according to the label!), the toast was stale and the milk was warm.

In all honesty I don't like to harshly criticise small hotels like this. The staff are good and they obviously try hard to make your stay pleasant, but I feel they are cutting corners to save money. If they spent a bit more, they could charge a bit more and could provide better value than they are now. I don't think I will be going back to the Lensfield any time soon, I'm afraid.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
8  Thank NDAB
Reviewed June 22, 2007

We truely are confounded by the high ranking of this hotel. On our recent trip to England we booked three hotels based on Trip Advisor reviews. Over the years we've likely booked in excess of 10 stays based on TA. This is the first to be other than what we expected it to be.

We don't want to slam it because the folks that run it are so very pleasant and nice (appears to be family operated) and so we will start with the good.

Wonderful, helpful, truely friendly staff. A good location for sightseeing and easy to find for the international traveler driving on the "wrong" side of the road. Breakfast was OK considering it was buffet. Room and bathroom were very clean. Bathroom was small but lovely with modern fixtures and a large tub / shower.

Now for the rest. We booked an Executive Double to gain a bit of extra room (at a bit of extra cost). What we got was a tiny double room with a double bed. Given the size of the room it was a bit of a challenge negotiating around the double bed. We complained to the desk clerk who explained to us, well all our rooms are small and we've nothing else available. We looked at the room sizes on the floor map. Our was the smallest that would actually accommodate a double bed and still allow you to walk around. If ours was and "Executive", they all are. We passed by the Regent Hotel, about a block away, and just out of curiosity checked out their similarly priced Executive Doubles. They contained a king sized bed (which would have hardly fit in our room). Nuff said on this.

The room was NOISY being just a bit down the hall from the lobby (where the TV was constantly on). There was an "ALways to be kept closed" fire door which seperated the hall from the lobby but it was always open. When we suggested that it be kept closed in the interest of reducing noise we were told it would only make matters worse as it would constantly be slamming as people came and went.

The walls seperating our room from others were so thin and poorly insulated that we could have heard pins drop in the next room. The staff apologized for this explaining that yes they are thin and that it is an old, converted, listed building that they can't reeally do very much to (because of its historical listing) and so it must remain as it is (i.e. small noisy rooms with thin walls). Somehow, this fact was omited on the web-site.

As for the esthetic aspects of the room, again, it was spotlessly clean but otherwise so two star. Our "view" was out over a roof at an alley and parking area and into the bathroom of the room above. Oh well.

Bottom line - it all would have been OK for a night's stay (with the earplugs which we ultimately used) if expectations were a bit better managed (after all, it is very highly ranked) and it wasn't such poor value for what was delivered. The web-site does not in any sense really represent what you will find on arrival.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple