“Hakka best Chinese restaurant in Cambridge”

Hakka Seafood Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #26 of 733 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Fresh daily ocean catch fish,Lobster,oysters,etc,etc
Reviewed December 30, 2012

What a surprise, and even better, just down the road! A small and excellent restaurant with friendly and attentive staff. The food was wonderful, plentiful and well presented. What a find, I will be returning here and recommending to all my friends. The owner/chef, Danial, is friendly and charming and deserves success. We arrived fairly late in the evening realising we may not get a table but we were welcomed in wow! Must try the fish next time a there is an extensive fish menu.

2  Thank Jennifer W

Reviewed December 27, 2012

As stated on here by others I can only add to the comments on here. We had the set menu and loved the starters and main course , Which included lobster/squid. We loved the Sea Bass and the way it was presented. A lovely evening , the service was first class and the waitress was very attentive. We went early in the evening , 6.45 pm but there were a few other diners there as well. Will return sooner rather than later as a fantastic little gem of a place

Reviewed December 23, 2012

I happened to be staying with a friend in this part of Cambridge and mentioned that there was this Chinese place getting pretty good reviews on trip advisor. He lives about 150 metres away but had never heard of it which kind of held with the reviews on here that say 'looked like a shut down takeaway from the outside'. Anyway, we found it easily - agreed it did look like a neglected takeaway from the outside - and, despite having read the comments about the, er, wackiness of the owner/manager we decided it was worth a shot.

Oh dear! It was about 8:45pm and I'd say the place was about a third full. A couple near the door were still at the perusing menu stage and two girls were being shown to a table by, presumably, said owner/manager. He came running over to us and, without so much as a good evening, said 'I am refusing you service because I am by myself and responsibe for everything, I hope you will come back another time'. I explained that the rudeness of his 'welcome' guaranteed we wouldn't come back and wanted him to understand this. He then nervously barked 'happy christmas' and quite literally ran away.

Now I know he may have been making an honest statement but, wherever I go, I do like to think my custome is valued and if a restaurant is as short-staffed as this one they could have given us the choice. How about, hi, welcome, before you settle in I just want you to know there's only me on tonight, service will be slow, do you mind? At least I'd then make my own decision.

Still the upside was that we crossed the road to an Indian we'd not tried and it was fantastic. So now I know where'll I go to eat when I visit my friend on Milton Road! But I shan't be paying to eat at Hakka - a business gets one chance to attract a customer in the face of competition and this one failed miserably.

6  Thank timabdelhadytravel
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Having eated in most of the Chinese restaurants in Cambridge this truly does top the ratings. There is a great selection of authentic dishes on the menu incuding some super seafood. Everything we had was excellent quality and ssuper fresh. The flavours were perfect. The patron / chef was charming and helpful. There is a great selection of drinks and it is very reasonably priced. I cant wait for this place to re-open after Christmas so that we can make a return visit.

1  Thank MEH77
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I have been in several Chinese restaurants all over the world. I believe this restaurant tops them all. It actually was one of the best restaurants I have ever been in Chinese or not. Every plate is extremely well made and the chef is not only very kind, but particularly talented. A fixed menu for two people will be sufficient for a family of three! It is not made for people who must rush to an appointment, but even if you have to wait a bit it is worth it!