“A very basic hotel”

The Gonville Hotel
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 14, 2009

The hotel is located about 10 minutes walk from the city centre. It is a basic hotel with no character. The reception employees are friendly but the restaurant staff on the other hand is surly. The room is very small and tired looking.. The room is the equivalent of a motel in Australia, no frills and basic. Definitely not value for money.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Geebeedubai
Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2016

Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to tell you that the hotel has now been refurbished and is totally different now from when you last stayed. Our team has also changed to fit with our values of: Excellence / Ownership / Integrity / Commitment.

There are newer reviews for The Gonville Hotel

Reviewed July 12, 2009

Stayed here for two nights as we were attending a family wedding at nearby Anstey Hall. Reception staff were very helpful and changed our room from a front room to a room at the rear. The front rooms overlook the road and I suspect could be very noisy. The room wasn't a bad size and was very clean with tea and coffee making facilities, wi-fi, TV with Freeview and a fan. The bathroom was 'an after you type' but again was very clean with nice fluffy towels which were changed each day.
Breakfast was very good. The cooked dishes were cooked to order which makes a nice change. We didn't eat dinner at the hotel.
The hotel is in a great position for exploring Cambridge on foot and we will have no hesitation in returning. Parking is free.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed June 8, 2009

I only stayed one night, and didn't try their restaurant, so this review won't be extensive.

Staff: the reception staff were very friendly and helpful, and any time I was in reception it was clear that they were very polite and professional. If it was a bit busy, they were sure to address incoming people and say they'd be with them shortly.

Room: very comfortable, modern, and clean. The bathroom in particular seemed to be quite new, and was utterly spotless. TV only had 5 channels -- fine for us as we weren't there to watch TV, but a business traveller may be disappointed with that.

Location: this was the one of the main reasons I selected this hotel, it was very close to the centre of Cambridge. It's just a short walk to get to the main area, and there's a lovely huge park opposite the hotel if that's your thing. There's also free parking at the hotel, which is helpful.

Price: this is the only thing I mark it down on. The hotel, for what it is, is quite pricey. I have had similar experiences for a lot less money. Having said that, maybe it's not fair to compare against other locations. Because when it came to Cambridge, this hotel was one of the cheaper hotels. It's just I couldn't get over the feeling I was paying a bit too much.

Overall, as long as you're not too cost conscious, I would have no problems in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 26, 2009

Due to the other reviews here I was a little unsure about staying here, unfortunately my preferred alternative was full on one of my nights.

I was surprised to find a hotel with no real faults, I'm not saying everything was perfect, but I has little to complain about.

Likes

Free Broadband - reasonably fast enough for me, able to watch iPlayer.
Central Location
Free Parking
Friendly Staff

Dislikes

Breakfast limited, couldn't find the HP on the first day.
This hotel is next to a busy road so traffic noise will find it's way in.

Considering this hotel is in the middle of the city and Cambridge is an expensive place to be, I would stay here again and didn't feel that it was too expensive.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed May 2, 2009

This hotel has a nice outlook to the front of a bit of open parkland. The staff are very friendly and efficient and the breakfast is very good. Restaurant not tried. The main problem is with the rooms - or the one I stayed in at least. It was large but had a very uneven and creaky floor. The insulation from noise both internal and external was woeful and the bed was very uncomfortable. This unpleasant combination made an extremely restless night . Fortunately I was only staying for 1 night.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed April 16, 2009

I recently stayed at the Gonville with some colleagues, and thought it was an okay hotel. Certainly not the best I have stayed at, but not the worst.

The highlights were:
- brilliant central location
- large car park
- 10 minute walk from railway station
- close to restaurants
- very clean
- staff friendly and enthusiastic to help (although sometimes hard to understand)

A couple of lowlights were:
- very soft beds (depends on your preference but too soft for me)
- lights being left on in main parts of hotel all through night, which meant rooms were never in pitch black
- either the walls were very thin or there was a party in the room next to me and above me!
- noise of rain falling on the conservatory roof
- all in all, myself and my colleagues (of which there were 6) did not have a very good night's sleep.

In summary, a bit of a mixed bag. I wouldn't want to sleep here again due to all six of us not sleeping very well, but I would recommend the hotel for its event facilities.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed April 6, 2009

I have recently stayed at this hotel and can say that the service i recieved from the staff was excellent.
The room i had was lovely, i think it had been refurbished recently and was quite modern and very spacious.

I would come back as i was made to that to feel welcome and valued.
Thank you.