“Comfortable and clean”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 16, 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2014

Reviewed May 13, 2014

We found this hotel to be excellent on a 3-night stay, with free parking thrown-in and just a short walk to the city centre. The staff were excellent, welcoming, friendly and attentive to our needs. Breakfast was good with a fair range of cold and hot options, the latter being prepared to order, so freshly cooked. We had a couple of pre-arranged group dinners and these were excellent too, and with good, but not intrusive, service. Possibly their wines did not quite match-up to the standard of their food, but they were passable. Our room and ensuite were both large, quiet (at the side, but rooms at the front may be more noisy) and the bed very comfortable, so we will definitely return here on a future visit.

Room Tip: Rear and side rooms are the quietest
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Dear tripbayliff,

Thank you for your great review, we are so pleased that your 3 night stay with us was excellent and you found the free parking to be of value! Many other hotels charge as much as £24.50 per night for this which we feel is unreasonable.

I was also pleased that you found my team to be welcoming, friendly and attentive. This is something we are always encouraging them to do in our focus to be the hotel of choice in Cambridge.

Thank you for your feedback with regards to our wines, this is something we will be taking up with our supplier, it is a shame that you did not get to try our award winning Tour De Belfort during your stay as this would have certainly impressed you, let me know next time you stay and I will ensure you get to try some.

Thank you again for taking the time and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

The Gonville hotel is located in a quiet neighborhood in walking distance to Cambridge city center. The room was of medium-size, quiet during night, modern and clean, and the beds were comfortable. The air conditioning worked fine and the temerature was easy to control. The breakfast was good with both cold and hot dishes. The only things to complain about were the shower since the whole bathroom got flooded when you took a shower and the (complimentary) WiFi where the signal strength was a bit weak in the room. The staff was very nice and helpful. At this cost the hotel is good value for money and highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Dear SwedenSkibum,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.

We were delighted to learn that you found us to be a very nice hotel well located to the city centre and the rooms to be quite and of a good size and clean.

We have not long refurbished our bedrooms and as part of this included some wet rooms, so it does appear to flood the bathroom however with the clever design of the floor tiles this is quickly drained away. I am also pleased to say that as part of our investment in the hotel we also refurbished some of the more traditional style rooms which have the normal bathrooms.

We did have a glitch with regards to the wifi due to the work we are currying out currently in reception, please accept my apologies for this affecting you, this is now back to our usually high speed.

I am pleased that you found us to be of good value and I hope that on your return to Cambridge you will decided to stay with us again.

Remember when booking direct that’s when the best savings can be made!

Reviewed May 11, 2014

In the run up to the wedding the staff were so helpful and efficient , and on the day everyone worked so hard and were so accomodating, everything went like clockwork. It really did surpass our expectation and our guests complimented us on what a tasteful event it had been. The hotel garden was great for photos (although a few more annuals wouldn't go amiss) and the sit down wedding breakfast for 30 was delicious and expertly served. Wonderful!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Natalie I,

We are delighted that your Wedding Reception was perfect!

It is so important for us to get such an important day right for you and ensure that you have positive memories of the best day of your lives.

Thank you for your feedback with regards to the Garden this is something we have already started work on and will soon be looking more fabulous.

I hope that we will get another chance to welcome you back to the hotel soon for another great stay.

Thanks again

Reviewed May 6, 2014

We have stayed at the Best Western Gonville Hotel several times, most enjoyable! The Rooms, Management, Staff and Dining have been excellent. The convenient position of the Hotel close to the City centre and its Car Parking facility make this a wonderful Hotel in Cambridge for a City Break. We shall be back again for a Christmas Shopping Weekend!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Foodie208

Dear Foodie208,

Thank you so much for your great review, we are delighted that you found all of my team to be excellent.

This is really important to us in our focus to be the hotel of choice in Cambridge.

We are also pleased that you found the location of the hotel to be good and the free on site parking to be of great value.

We would certainly love to welcome you back at Christmas if not before for another great stay.
Look out for our fantastic offers when booking direct!

Reviewed May 4, 2014

After being unable to meet friends at the Fitzwilliam Museum because of traffic chaos, we decided to meet at the Gonville Hotel for a coffee. Whilst there we decided to have a snack lunch. The ladies had Salmon & Crab fish cakes and the men had Ham sandwiches. We paid little attention at the time to the salad and chips mentioned. The food arrived in good time, and we were overwhelmed by the huge portions. The sandwich was a "double decker", the ingredients were fresh and very tasty. The salad was excellent with a mouthwatering dressing, and the chips or "French Fries" were cooked to perfection. I tasted my wife's fish cakes which were as good as my Mother used to make! Praise indeed! All four of us struggled to finish. We were attended by Francisco, who was very polite and attentive. We did have to go to reception to pay by card but this was not a problem and due to the refurbishment. We have had many meals at the Gonville and never been disappointed, so that is why we returned there when the Fitz was inaccessible. The ladies visited the refurbished cloakrooms next to the bar and they certainly had the WOW factor, to quote my wife. The added bonus is hassle free parking. (Sandwiches were £6.50 which we thought was expensive till they arrived!!).

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Himself333,

Thank you so much for your great review, my team and I were delighted to see that you had the “Perfect Lunch” with us and this is certainly something we are focused in providing in our quest to be the hotel of choice in Cambridge.

Please know that I will be passing on your feedback with those concerned who will be rewarded for their excellence. I was also pleased to see that you found our parking a bonus, many other hotels charge as much as £24.95 for this which we feel is unreasonable.

I would however like to apologise for the small glitch we experienced with regards to the card payment machine, this was due to the temporary relocation of our reception while we update our normal one. I am pleased to say that this is no longer an issue.

I hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel for another fantastic lunch or even a stay.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

The hotel is being re-furbished right now, which accounts for the ramshackle nature of the temporary lobby. The beds are super-comfortable, and I had a great restful time. The food is over-priced, was very slow to arrive, and on two occasions in three days left me marvelling about the difference between the description on the menu and what actually turned up. I've stayed here before and it's ben better. Perhaps it'll improve when the refurbishment is complete. For the time being, avoid the kippers at breakfast. It says on the menu that they're fine quality. The ones I had were bright orange and came out of a bag, I think.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
1  Thank 339,334

Dear 339334,

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused with regards to the temporary set up of our Reception.

As part of our commitment to listen to our guests and improve, we are taking the time to refurbish our Reception area to help create that “WOW” factor.

We are also focused on quality, which means this will take a little time to achieve because it is important to us to get it right.

I also sorry to see that your breakfast was not to our usual high standard, and that you found the description on the menu not to be what turned up. I can confirm that we are now looking for a new Head Chef to join us in our quest for excellence, so I can assure you that this will improve.

Thank you for taking the time, I hope that on return to the hotel you will see the improvements made in all areas and that you have a great stay with us.