“Excellent City break location”
Review of The Gonville Hotel

The Gonville Hotel
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Downahm Market
“Excellent City break location”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We have stayed at the Best Western Gonville Hotel several times, most enjoyable! The Rooms, Management, Staff and Dining have been excellent. The convenient position of the Hotel close to the City centre and its Car Parking facility make this a wonderful Hotel in Cambridge for a City Break. We shall be back again for a Christmas Shopping Weekend!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Foodie208
Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
Dear Foodie208,

Thank you so much for your great review, we are delighted that you found all of my team to be excellent.

This is really important to us in our focus to be the hotel of choice in Cambridge.

We are also pleased that you found the location of the hotel to be good and the free on site parking to be of great value.

We would certainly love to welcome you back at Christmas if not before for another great stay.
Look out for our fantastic offers when booking direct!

Christopher Ogston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2014

After being unable to meet friends at the Fitzwilliam Museum because of traffic chaos, we decided to meet at the Gonville Hotel for a coffee. Whilst there we decided to have a snack lunch. The ladies had Salmon & Crab fish cakes and the men had Ham sandwiches. We paid little attention at the time to the salad and chips mentioned. The food arrived in good time, and we were overwhelmed by the huge portions. The sandwich was a "double decker", the ingredients were fresh and very tasty. The salad was excellent with a mouthwatering dressing, and the chips or "French Fries" were cooked to perfection. I tasted my wife's fish cakes which were as good as my Mother used to make! Praise indeed! All four of us struggled to finish. We were attended by Francisco, who was very polite and attentive. We did have to go to reception to pay by card but this was not a problem and due to the refurbishment. We have had many meals at the Gonville and never been disappointed, so that is why we returned there when the Fitz was inaccessible. The ladies visited the refurbished cloakrooms next to the bar and they certainly had the WOW factor, to quote my wife. The added bonus is hassle free parking. (Sandwiches were £6.50 which we thought was expensive till they arrived!!).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Himself333,

Thank you so much for your great review, my team and I were delighted to see that you had the “Perfect Lunch” with us and this is certainly something we are focused in providing in our quest to be the hotel of choice in Cambridge.

Please know that I will be passing on your feedback with those concerned who will be rewarded for their excellence. I was also pleased to see that you found our parking a bonus, many other hotels charge as much as £24.95 for this which we feel is unreasonable.

I would however like to apologise for the small glitch we experienced with regards to the card payment machine, this was due to the temporary relocation of our reception while we update our normal one. I am pleased to say that this is no longer an issue.

I hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel for another fantastic lunch or even a stay.

Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2014

The hotel is being re-furbished right now, which accounts for the ramshackle nature of the temporary lobby. The beds are super-comfortable, and I had a great restful time. The food is over-priced, was very slow to arrive, and on two occasions in three days left me marvelling about the difference between the description on the menu and what actually turned up. I've stayed here before and it's ben better. Perhaps it'll improve when the refurbishment is complete. For the time being, avoid the kippers at breakfast. It says on the menu that they're fine quality. The ones I had were bright orange and came out of a bag, I think.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

1 Thank 339334
Dear 339334,

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused with regards to the temporary set up of our Reception.

As part of our commitment to listen to our guests and improve, we are taking the time to refurbish our Reception area to help create that “WOW” factor.

We are also focused on quality, which means this will take a little time to achieve because it is important to us to get it right.

I also sorry to see that your breakfast was not to our usual high standard, and that you found the description on the menu not to be what turned up. I can confirm that we are now looking for a new Head Chef to join us in our quest for excellence, so I can assure you that this will improve.

Thank you for taking the time, I hope that on return to the hotel you will see the improvements made in all areas and that you have a great stay with us.

Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I stayed here with 3 friends in March on a Friday night, the hotel is centrally located and the service was good.

The room was suitably furnished however the bathroom was a bit hit and miss. It appeared is if the bathroom had been added in the room as an after thought. The sliding door did not shut properly so you could see whoever was using the toilet. Luickily my friend and I have been friends for over 30 years but it will still be nice to have some privacy.
The bar area was tastfully decorated and not too pricet. Fairly good choice of beverages.

Our sleep quality was good and the hotel was very quiet. The breakfast was sufficient and there was a lot of choice. I would stay here again for a short break.

Room Tip: Make sure your bathroom door shuts.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Shezza42

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review,

I was pleased that you found the hotel to have a great location but also disappointed to see that you found the bathroom disappointing with regards to its design.

We do have less contemporary style rooms with traditional style bathrooms, so maybe on your return visit we can allocate you one of these to ensure that your stay is great.

Thank you for taking the time and I hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back.

Cambridge UK
Reviewed April 29, 2014

We went for a family member's bithday and it was awful from start to finish. Firstly the card machine didn't work because of lack of signal. so we had to scrape round for cash to cover the expensive round of drinks. Then we were told that most of the choices on the starters and main menu weren't available. We then waited over an hour for our starters that we didn't really want, to arrive. We were then told that there was no rump steak, only Sirloin which surprise surprise was nearly ten pounds more expensive. Nearly another hour passed before the mains arrived.. This consisted of a small piece of steak and seven chips!!. Overall it took over three hours to complete the meal. Not the fault of the waiting staff who tried their best. An experience I would rather forget. Overpriced and overrated. Emailed the hotel but no reply.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank stripped1
ARussell1, Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Stripped1,

Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies. I have tried to call you yesterday and also sent an email response to your original email sent to us.Please do not hesitate to contact me as I would personally like to apologise if possible. Please find my email below that I have sent to you yesterday morning after investigating the poor experience you have received.

Dear Michael,

Firstly please accept our apologies for not responding to you straight away. My general manager is currently on an annual leave and as his deputy I am dealing with all his emails at the moment and I needed to investigate this matter with my Head Chef.

I am very sorry for the experience you had in Atrium restaurant and the incident with the card terminal loosing connection.

I was indeed aware of our menu change on Saturday, however was not informed of any stock shortages on Friday evening. I am currently dealing with our Head Chef, this is certainly something I will not accept to happen to you and any guests in the future. I was very sorry to learn that your visit to the Gonville hotel was so disappointing. This is certainly not our usual high standard.

We take pride in ensuring our customers satisfaction. Unfortunately, I realise that our restaurant and kitchen team did not meet your expectations on that Friday evening.

I value your feedback and apologise for this human error that has lead to providing you and your guests with very poor experience.

Because of this serious oversight, I would like to invite you to the Atrium restaurant again to have a complimentary dinner for four. You will be able to try our new menu and it will be our pleasure to provide your party with our usual high standard of customer service and dedication.

I look forward to hearing from you and hopefully welcoming you back to the Gonville soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally should you wish to reserve your table or need any further assistance.

Yours Sincerely,

Anna Russell
Deputy General Manager
West Byfleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Not sure about this experience. Nice location, comfy bed, adequate size room and nicely decorated. But...double room booked - configured as a twin - fixed quickly. Would have liked a meal (we did alert them to our later arrival) - so at 9.30 pm we were directed to the bar as the kitchen was very busy (walked through nearly empty restaurant to get to room!). So we went out to eat - not an issue as we know Cambridge but after a 2 hour journey all we really wanted to do was relax and not go out - not a problem overall. We were requested not to open the door in our room which led to the "garden" as this would set off the fire alarm...I say "garden" but it was actually the car park! Again, not a problem - we were only staying one night. Bathroom...well there I part company with my optimistic view. It is not nice to find the toilet used and unflushed and then to realise that the hair on the side of the bath was not from either my husband or myself and was of the type generally found in the nether regions...draw your own conclusions. The small matter of the room being cold (the heating has been turned off sir, my husband was told) and the air conditioning was too cold (we will put a fan heater in there sir). In all disappointing and the simple fact that I did not want to spoil my trip to Cambridge for my graduation prevented me from making a huge fuss at the time. It is not a place I would recommend without reservation.

Room Tip: Unless you are in need of a ground floor room request a first floor room although the room we were g...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Ann0nym0use

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review,

Firstly please accept my apologies for having to walk through the restaurant to get to your room.

Due to the refurbishment work we are carrying out on our normal reception area, we have had to relocate the reception to the restaurant, not ideal, however we have made it the best we can with what we have and I can assure you that once the refurbishment is complete it will really be stunning and worth the temporary inconvenience.

I’m sorry that you couldn’t open the fire doors in your room; (hence the alarm), these are not meant to open except for the event of an emergency and do not as you say lead to the garden but the car park.

We do have a strict housekeeping policy in place which involves a supervisor checking the rooms that have been cleaned before being released for sale.

This means that the standard is usually very high and something like the toilets and baths are checked twice, so I can’t understand how this would have happened.

With regards to the hair this may have been an oversight however not normally something we suffer with or would accept from our housekeeping department.

In any case we would have welcomed you telling us at the time so that we could have fixed this for you and turned it around into a positive, this we do not see as making a fuss and would have helped us find out what went wrong.

I hope that on return to Cambridge you will give us another chance and you will experience our usual high standard.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Booked for a last minute weekend in Cambridge. Good location, just 5 mins walk to town & restaurants.

- Friendly staff. Very natural.
- Good sized bedroom, great sleep
- Very clean throughout
- Refurbished bright dining room
- Good breakfast choice
- Strong, hot shower

All in all, a good mid-range choice, ideal for a one night stay.
A bit of traffic noise in the morning, but normal for a city break.

Room Tip: All front rooms overlook the car park, road and park. So a bit of light traffic noise in the morning...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple