“Good choice!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Good choice!”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We stayed for the night over the weekend. Great location, a couple of minutes walk from the bars and restaurants. Parking is an absolute bonus. The greeting was friendly and our room was very clean and tidy. The breakfast was spot on, I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Richard B,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, I was really pleased to see that you had a great stay with us over the weekend and everything including the breakfast was to our normal high standard.

Please know I will be passing on your feedback to the rest of the team who will also be very pleased.

I hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Thanks again,

Kind regards

Christopher Ogston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Thornton-Cleveleys, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2014

This was one of the best hotel experiences we've had. The room was spacious, well decorated, very clean and comfortable. From the reception, to the restaurant and the housekeeping team, the staff were helpful and courteous with a genuine friendliness. There was an excellent cooked breakfast available and also a buffet option with lots of choice. The hotel provides free parking, which is at a premium in Cambridge. It is within easy walking distance of all amenities and sites. At the time of our visit (March 2014) the pictures on the website didn't do the hotel justice which seemed to have been recently decorated throughout. We look forward to returning.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Dear Craig R

Thank you so much for your 5 star review, we are delighted to hear that we were one of the best hotel experiences you had.

Please know I will be passing on your feedback to the rest of the team who will also be really pleased that you had a great stay.

I am also pleased that you found the cooked breakfast to be excellent and our buffet selection to offer plenty of choice.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back on your return to Cambridge - remember great savings can be made when booking direct!

Thanks again

Kind regards,

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2014

some staff had difficulty understanding order, or what was requested especially at night. overall stay lovely so close to town, found the heating esepcially working the fan had to remove card from door to switch the sound off at night, but lovely hotel, lovely staff

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Gareth0502

Thank you for your 5 star review following your recent visit to the Gonville Hotel.

I was sorry to see that initially we didn’t understand your request, please know that I will be taking this up with my team to ensure that we handle this better in future.

I am pleased however to see that this did not affect your stay and you were able to enjoy the beautiful sights of Cambridge given that we are so close to the centre.

I hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Kind regards

Liverpool
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I arranged a trustees meeting here, which required accommodation, meeting rooms and an evening reception. Everything was done with the utmost care and attention - the staff were really friendly and courteous (even the housekeeping staff ALL said good morning to me) but never in your face and always discreet - like I said everything a hotel should be. The room was immaculate, spacious and they even come in turn the sheets, organise the day cushions etc. at night. Great location and although at the higher end of the pricing scale, reasonable value given the exceptional location in central Cambridge. Would not hesitate to use this place again for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: From what I can gather the rooms are of a pretty consistent high standard.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank phil J
Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Phil J

Firstly may I thank you for your 5 star review, my team and I are delighted to see your high score and feedback.

It was a real pleasure to have your trustees meeting here and we are really pleased we helped may it a success!

Providing excellent service is something we spend a lot of time training and developing the team to do and it is always nice to hear back when this is followed through.

I will also be passing on your comments with regards to the room being immaculate and I am glad you found it to be spacious as well as having a great central location.

I hope that I will have another opportunity to welcome you back to the Gonville Hotel soon.

Thanks again,

Kind regards,

Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We met old friends for Saturday lunch as a half way house. In total 4 adults and 2 children (7&8). We arrived at 11.45, ordered lunch at midday.We were the only people in the restaurant. Starters took 20mins and were OK. 15 minutes after finishing the starters we were told they had "run out" of burgers so we ordered sausage and Mash instead. another 20 minutes later we were told that there was no fish pie (this was a very limited menu!)..Getting concerned we ordered another sausage and Mash..Eventually after a number of requests the food arrived at 1.45!!. It was appalling. The Gonville "special" sandwich was a lump of overcooked chicken with a piece of bacon clearly leftover from breakfast on a stale bun with ice-cold chips. We sent it back without ordering a replacement The mash was so full-of lumps it was inedible. Whilst the waiter was attentive and consistently apologetic the chef didn't have the courage to discuss the shortcomings there was no manager available! ..what a shame they didn't even want to learn for the benefit any of you thinking of booking at this awful place

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Guy R
Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Guy R

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.

Firstly please accept my sincere apologies for the poor experience you received, I was appalled to learn that this had actually happened.

I can assure you that this is not our usual high standard and certainly not what I will accept from my Kitchen team.

I have investigated your comments and can confirm that unfortunately there was an issue with a new member of the Kitchen brigade on Saturday during service. This then resulted in the poor experience you received. Rather than take steps to rectify the problem it went on longer than necessary and became more of an issue as time went on.

I also spoke to the Senior Manager on duty Saturday who regrets that he was not able to come and speak with you at the time, this was due to helping out another guest and by the time he went to see you unfortunately you had already left.

Please know that we will learn from your experience and I will certainly be implementing the correct procedures with the head chef to ensure this is not repeated to you or any other valued guest again.

If you would email me on gm@gonvillehotel.co.uk I would be happy to send you some 2 for 1 vouchers to help make up for this poor service and give us the opportunity to turn this around for you into a positive.

Again please accept my apologies and thank you for taking the time.

Surrey
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Used this hotel as a base for a weekend break to Cambridge. Staff polite. Hotel clean. We were given a room on the ground floor (disabled access) not that we requested or needed this. No view from the room (bin store) no ability to open windows etc. Annoying green light (like a night light) seemed no way of turning this off. Room very spacious nicely equipped. Major bonus that the hotel offers free parking. Check-in/check-out took a little longer than needed (only one receptionist). We would revisit if returning to Cambridge perhaps asking for a room on the upper floors.

Dear PDubois

I was pleased to see that you found the hotel to be well located, clean and staff polite.

I am sorry that the room did not exceed your expectations; if we had known at the time that this was not satisfactory we would have gladly moved you to another more suitable room. Ensuring our guests have a great stay is very important to us.

The night light you refer to is actually the fire safety light we are required to have in place by the local fire authority. However we never usually receive any negative feedback on these.

I was pleased that you found our car park to be a bonus most hotels in Cambridge charge in the region of £25 for this so this really adds great value.

Please know that I will be taking up your comment with the Head Receptionist with regards to the check in/out to ensure help is given when needed.

I hope that I will have the opportunity to meet with you on your return to the hotel and ensure that everything is organised for a pleasant stay.