“Great hotel at the edge of Cambridge”
Review of The Gonville Hotel

The Gonville Hotel
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Billericay, United Kingdom
“Great hotel at the edge of Cambridge”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We used this hotel for a two night weekend break to visit our daughter as it was well positioned half way between Homerton College and the centre of town overlooking Parker's Piece. Good car parking and a 15 min walk to town centre.

We had perhaps one of the better rooms - number 216 (2nd floor, large and at the front overlooking Parker's Piece green). A special treat we had not anticipated was the evening turn down bed service with chocolates on the bed. Other little extras included complimentary bottled water and three Green & Blacks miniature chocolates.

Very comfy beds, large TV with Freeview channels, tea & coffee making facilities and well equipped bathroom. Breakfast was well cooked to order and had all you could ask for in terms of cereals, pastries, fruit etc. We paid £13.95 for our daughter to eat with us one morning - good value compared to many good hotels. Very polite hotel staff at all times.

Were there any downsides, well a fridge would be nice to chill your own drinks, toilet paper was thin (single sheet) and the noise from the music channel on the TV in a neighbouring room could be heard (fairly loudly) on Sunday morning through the air conditioning system. They however are very small, minor points compared to what was a really lovely hotel and an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: 216 - large at the front with a lovely view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Liverpool
Reviewed October 25, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This is my third visit to the Gonville, though the first time I have gotten round to a review. It's a good hotel. The rooms are clean, well appointed and comfortable. Location is good, it's in a quiet location just by Parkers Piece and within walking distance of the centre, most colleges, the Fitzwilliam etc. car parking is available though the spaces are limited, if you arrive late you may have to use a pay car park next door. You won't need to car in Cambridge which is a bit awkward to drive round anyway, pay and display meters are staggeringly expensive. Breakfast is very good and is served in a sort of indoor conservatory, good range of hot and cold options. Same venue for evening meal, choice is limited but food is good. Have to say the staff are great, very friendly and very helpful, that's all staff from reception to Bar and Restaurant and cleaners. Bar is small and seats not very comfy but it's OK. In summer there is a small garden. As well as Cambridge itself you have several NT or English Heritage properties within a short journey (recommend Audley End). In summary, good hotel with nice staff in a handy location, will return.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Bolton
Reviewed October 22, 2013

The location of the hotel and the décor layout was generally lovely as is usual with Best Westerns, however I should have know there was 'issues' with the Wi-fi after looking into the booklet in my room (215). Much as I tried I simply couldn't connect (which was important for mobile access to my work PC), there was also advice on changing settings with my Ipad (should I really be expected to do this?), despite my best efforts I still couldn't sort it. When I mentioned the issue to reception the staff were frankly clueless, the young girl behaved like she'd just walked off the street (into the wrong job) and her lack of enthusiasm was very disappointing. In addition to this there was severe traffic noise throughout the early hours (motorbikes zooming past etc.), I understand these are external factors out of the control of the hotel however a word of warning when booking on the website, would have been good. The Wi-Fi was fundamental to my stay (as well as a good night sleep) and having read some old reviews it appears that this is an ongoing issue that the hotel is doing nothing about. The duty manager that dealt with my complaint was completely lacking in care and people skills which is a complete no-no is the hotel industry. Looks like I'm back to the hotel Felix next time! One final thing..........the full English Breakfast was lovely but the portion sizes were tiny.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the hotel will be quieter. (NOT near 215!)
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
COgston1, Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear mikelabrey,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, I was sorry to see that you rated us so low.

I am pleased that I had the opportunity to speak with you on check out, and compensate you as I too felt the way in which your Wifi issue was initially handled was poor.

I can assure you that the correct steps have been implemented with the receptionist in question to ensure that this poor service is not repeated to you or any other valued guest.

As discussed at the time there wasn't an issue concerning our Wifi and I was pleased that you were able to connect one of your devices, however sorry that you could not connect your second device.

Being a City centre Hotel noise from the public and vehicles will always be a potential problem despite the Windows being Double glazed and our set back from the road location. Nevertheless I was sorry to learn of your disturbed night.

Again please accept our apologies for not exceeding your expectations on this occasion.
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We have stayed in quite a few hotels in Cambridge and this for us is by far the best.

The hotel was easy to find, check-in was quick and our room was a good size with everything you would want.
Breakfast was very good, there was a buffet area and then you could order the hot meal of your choice.

All the staff were very pleasant and nothing too much trouble.

We got this 2 night stay at a very good price in comparison to the cost of the other Cambridge hotels.

This will now be our first choice when visiting Cambridge.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
COgston1, Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear Crosseys

We are delighted that you gave us a 5 star review - thank you very much!

It was pleasing to see that you had a great stay with us, we hope it won’t be too long until the next one, perhaps for a spot of Christmas shopping!?

Kind regards,
cardiff
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I booked to stay at this Hotel 8 weeks in advance. On arrival I was directed to a room ( 210 ) which had not a single shelf or cupboard for clothes. I explained that I have been staying in hotels for 60 years & had never experienced anything like that. True I was given a different room but how can anyone cope with the first offer unless at a discount price ?

Room Tip: Ask what facilities
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Walesp291035
Dear PEH

I was sorry to see that you rated us so low especially when we were able to provide you with a more suitable room when you told us about your concern.

I agree that our stylish and contemporary storage solution in some of our rooms is not to everyone’s taste.

This is something we are currently looking at rectifying with the addition of more wardrobes, so soon this should no longer be a problem.

I hope that this did not spoil the rest of your stay and that you found our fantastic location, friendly efficient staff, free parking and high speed wifi to name a few, to be a benefit and of great value.

Kind regards,
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times on my business trips in the past but for some reason the company placed me at a different hotel in the last three or four years. Last year at this particular hotel it was my worst experiebce about almost everything so I complained to the company very bitterly and lo, I was at Gonville Hotel this October. What a surprise! The most welcoming reception staff with smiling faces. The place looked absolutely fabulous. with a very nice quiet room on the first floor with very comfortable bed, very nice clean shower room with plenty of hot water and good central heating system. The bar and restaurant service was excellent. The sitting area in the restaurant is quite big and the tables with very clean table cloths are placed at good distance from each other. There was enough choice on the restaurant menu both for breakfast with freshly cooked to order and severed with a smile and the same can be said about dinner. I highly recommend this hotel to any one visiting Cambridge.

Room Tip: Most rooms are very good.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
COgston1, Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Pannalal

Thank you for taking the time to leave your 5 star review, we were delighted to see that you had a great experience during your recent visit.

We have achieved and improved many things in the last 2-3 years, mainly completing our fabulous bedroom refurbishment and getting 4 star status.

Ensuring our guests have an excellent experience is at the heart of what we do, we don’t always get it right, However we do use guest feedback to ensure we learn from it and improve where necessary.

I hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back soon; I would be very happy to speak with your company about arranging special rates, if this is of interest to you.

Kind regards