“A very comfortable hotel and a convenient, quiet spot to stay.”
Review of The Gonville Hotel

The Gonville Hotel
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 4, 2013

A very comfy hotel and in a quiet part of Cambridge yet only a short stroll from the hubub of life. Clean room and comfortable bed and well designed bathroom. Off-road parking a definite plus for this hotel and sensibly not an extra charge.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,940)

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed here with friends for a little Cambridge getaway. The location of the hotel is ideal, walking distance to the train station, shopping centre and town (though a short taxi if you're wearing great heels!). The staff were helpful and check in straightforward. The rooms are reasonably well appointed though the sliding frosted glass bathroom doors don't provide much in the way of sound or light privacy! Totally fine if you're with loved ones...

We had a good night's sleep in comfortable beds and the breakfast was a good solid hotel selection. The cooked elements were made to order and tasty, though some fresh orange juice (not bitter concentrate) would be lovely. I'd definitely stay here again if looking for something nice to stay in close to the centre of town.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I picked this hotel over the other Cambridge hotel based on price and location. The "superior" hotels were so much more expensive and based on the reviews did not seem to merit the higher costs.

Since I had some luggage and a box, I took the bus in from Heathrow for the convenience of not having to take the tube into London and then the train back out. The National Express drops you off at Parkside on Parker's Piece a mere 5 minutes walk to the hotel. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful, but they lack knowledge of where to eat and drink in and around Cambridge. The rooms are very nice but my room lacked any closets whatsoever -- there was a pole to hang your clothes, but nowhere to store anything so you had to live out of your suitcase for the entire stay. I only stayed three nights, but a longer stay would be inconvenient.

I had a rate of GBP119 including breakfast, which I understand to be a very good value for Cambridge. I'll accept that, but the breakfast was just average and I would have been disappointed if I had paid extra for it. Again the service was good, but too often did I find them congregating together rather than serving clients.

Finally, it is great to have free WiFi but a warning that the WiFi signal can be weak and unreliable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
COgston1, Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear sirtravel,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, we are glad that you decided to give us a try rather than use an alternative “superior” hotel in Cambridge and happy you found us to be of good value as well as have a great central location.

I was pleased to see that you liked our recently refurbished rooms; we wanted to ensure that every detail in the room is of top quality, such as the carbon efficient air conditioning system. I was sorry though that you did not get on with our modern clothes storage system.

Our other rooms do have the more traditional wardrobes however I am pleased to say that following recent feedback we are looking at providing a more suitable option to solve this.

I was also sorry to see that you had a disappointing breakfast, I can assure you that this is not our usual high standard; we think breakfast is the most important meal of the day so please know I will be taking this up with the Head Chef and the Food service manager (you must have been early for breakfast as usually they don’t get the chance to congregate!)

We are delighted that your experience of our team reception was friendly and helpful; we have recently had some new starters who have not yet learnt where all the good Restaurants are, (with the exception of ours of course!) however I can assure you this won’t be far behind.

We have recently invested in our complimentary Wifi system to ensure it is available consistently at high speed, however following a recent Apple software upgrade we have found that they are having difficulties connecting at times something to do with the settings I believe, which we hope they will have resolved soon.

I hope that on return to Cambridge we will have another opportunity to welcome you back .

Kind regards

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Lovely, friendly and helpful staff for who nothing was too much trouble.. Quick and easy check in. Lovely big room with such a comfy bed and great view across the park and noise of traffic not really a problem. So nice to have a turn down service and have the room all ready for you with chocolates. Absolutely superb breakfast from the buffet to the hot food - all staff helpful and efficient and service quick and friendly. overall a great relaxing stay and I would recommend this hotel to anyone with such an easy walk to see the colleges and other sites.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We chose this hotel for the free parking and its proximity to Peterhouse College (not as near as Hotel du Vin, which charges and extortionate £18 a night for parking!)
We arrived at 1pm, too early to get in the room, and we weren't offered anywhere to change in, so used the toilet.
Had a snack lunch, smoked salmon and cucumber sandwich, delicious and unexpectedly large (one between the two of us would have sufficed)
The room was excellent, spacious, spotless and well equipped (except that there was a comments form to fill in but nothing to write with.) Some people said their rooms were noisy, ours was very quiet.
Ordered a Sunday paper, and expected it to be outside the room door, but had to go down to reception to get it. On a weekend, one likes to have the paper in bed with a cup of tea, don't you think? The most ordinary US hotels manage it, after all.
Got told off at breakfast time for coming in by the wrong door! Breakfast itself was disappointing - you order the hot breakfast at the table, and we expected it to be freshly cooked - it clearly wasn't, arriving suspiciously promptly - rubbery scrambled eggs, etc. Not a hanging offence, but not great either.
I would use this hotel again because it's convenient and has a large free car park, but I wouldn't be looking forward to it as a special treat, not by a long way.

Room Tip: 126 is very near the lift, and quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank andrewdaviesxx
COgston1, Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear andrewdaviesxx

Thank you for your review and for leaving me your feedback form, I am sorry that I was not made aware of your comments until after you had left, I would have loved the opportunity to meet with you and discuss your comments.

I am sorry you felt your stay was very average, please know that I will be discussing your comments with my team in order that we learn from your experience and look to see how we can do better.

Being a popular hotel Saturday’s are very busy for us especially at this time of year. Normally the offer of using another bedroom to change in until yours is ready is what would have happened, however on this occasion this was not an option due to a full hotel the night before, busy check out and short turn around.

We have looked into how we can deliver papers more effectively and having them available to collect at reception is currently our best option. This is following previous feedback saying that guests did not wish to be woken up, and with the current design of our bedrooms to help them be quite pushing them underneath isn’t an option either.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused, this is something we will look into again to see if there is a suitable solution where we don’t wake the guests and papers don’t go missing if left outside the door.

I was pleased to see that the level of service you received in the bar at lunch time was excellent and exceeded your expectations; I will be discussing the portion size of the sandwiches with the Head Chef to ensure that they are more manageable.

Breakfast is prepared to order and it sounds like the scrambled eggs were not to our usual high stand, if we had known we would have gladly replaced these for you, again please accept my apologies for this and know I will be taking this up with our F&B team.

I am glad that you liked 126 and found it to be large and quite which I hope helped provide a relaxing stay for you.

Please let me know next time you plan to stay and I will ensure it’s to our usual high standard.

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 31, 2013

This hotel was ideally located for our 2 night stay in Cambridge. We parked the car when we arrived and didn't get in the car again until we were going home. Everything we wanted to do was within walking distance. The punting tour was excellent and the botanic garden was well worth a visit. Also if you get time you must vist Clare college gardens. We stayed with our teenager daugher who is 15 and she enjoyed the stay, shopping at grand arcade helped! We will definitely return a very enjoyable short break would thorougly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013
COgston1, Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Dear Traceybabs,

Thank you for your great review.

We were very pleased to see that you had an enjoyable short break with us and found our central location ideal for shopping, punting and visiting the botanic gardens – it’s such a privilege to have a lovely place like this so close by.

We will look forward to welcoming you back soon, were I hope I will have the chance to meet you.

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 28, 2013

This is my second review - if we are in Cambridge, this is our hotel of choice. As mentioned before, the decor is very good, the rooms are superb, and the staff are friendly. A bit more constructive review this time. On arrival, the reception (24th August) was 'manned' by one person who seemed a little stressed out and was slow. Not a good first impression. By contrast, on leaving (26th), a different person was very efficient, and service was very much with a smile. Breakfasts are okay, but that supplement for certain items is nuts. A B&B we go to in the West Country does not ask for supplements if we want salmon and scrambled eggs or pancakes. We had our first evening meal at the gonville - it was very mediocre. One last thing - why is the bar so expensive? £4.80 for a 35ml spirit ( a single G&T is somewhere around £7). End of niggles. Will still be going back to the Gonville as it by and large is a very good hotel.

Room Tip: 238 faces inside the hotel and is quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple