“Nice hotel but urgently need to put silencers on the bedroom doors”
Review of The Gonville Hotel

The Gonville Hotel
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Very noisy every nice with people slamming bedroom doors as they are very difficult to close quietly. Also urgently need to improve the channels on the TV, half of them dont work due to bad reception and you cannot view the sports channels even though they are on the list of channels!! very tight and annoying

Room Tip: The only good Rooms are 001 - 004
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
RwRoddie, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Thank you for your comments and rest assurred we will be addressing the matter of the slamming doors I can certainly understand how annoying this can be .
In respect of the TV Reception I am aware that this has benn affected recently and on investigation have discoverd that this has been due to the atmospheric conditions. I have also noted your comments regarding the channels offerred . We do review from time to time whether we should subscribe to subscription channels but at the present time customer demand for such channels does not warrant the not inconsiderable expenditure that is required to view them. When next we review this subject I will take your comments into account.
Finally may i thank you for staying with us
Regards
Roderick Watson

There are newer reviews for The Gonville Hotel

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I like this hotel. It's well located, quite near the centre of Cambridge. It's clean. The beds are very comfortable. It is in a very pleasant setting try the gardens for a drink for example. However this visit failed on a number of small, niggly things. The amount of storage space (we are on a long trip) is minimal. The breakfast - whilst being of very high quality and in a very pleasant setting - was somewhat spoilt by the chaotic nature of the organisation; we waited a long time to get served as a result (though the staff are lovely). For £145 a night you expect more. It won't stop me going back there though.

1  Thank OlderGuy1956
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Great location...Clean, modern, air-conditioned rooms...Very attentive staff at front desk and restaurant. Having spent four nights in Cambridge in July 2013, my wife and I (who are quite picky) highly recommend both the hotel and restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
COgston1, Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear JR

Thank you very much for your great review, please note that I will be passing on your comments to the rest of my team!

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon,

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 24, 2013

My partner and I, together with two friends stayed here at this unimposing and expansive fronted hotel in the centre of Cambridge, coincidentally during the Cambridge Weekend Festival. Situated in the city centre with ample car park this place is a bonus. We stayed for dinner on the first evening and the food was good even if the service was a more slowly pace than desired. One solo, elderly gentleman entertained us by remonstrating vociferously and in a thespian manner about the delay and small portion of food before leaving the hotel.
The staff and manager were helpful and friendly and Pimms in the garden on a hot afternoon were most welcome. The well appointed bedroom and bathroom were excellent but the discovery of a lack of wardrobe and chest of drawers for weekend visitors came as a surprise.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed here in May, during inclement weather, so to have the opportunity of being able to park at the front door and unload luggage and then park close by was a real bonus.

The room was very comfortable, and looked recently renovated as the bathroom appeared to be very "new". While it looked very "trendy with the rain shower and sliding glass door, it was very unfunctional. EVERYTHING got wet and water also extended under the door and out into the room so we had to place a towel at the door. I can only wonder how long the carpet will last in that spot. Of couse as previous manager comments suggested, we could have asked for another room, but this issue did not come to our attention until we were using the shower the following morning, and as we were departing that day, it was not something that was workable.

Also, there was no suitcase stands and upon request it took ages before one was delivered to our room when we had asked for two, which they said was fine. It just meant that our unpacking was delayed and hence we could not get out and about for at least an hour or more while waiting.

The hotel is in a great location opposite the park and in good walking distance to the main town area.

We ate breakfast in the attrium, but did not receive my correct "hot" course due to language dfficulties I assume. It was swiftly rectified, however, my partner then had to wait for me to finish as he did not want his meal to go cold. The buffet had a good choice of options.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LaraH19
COgston1, Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear LauraH19,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, I was really pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will be looking into the comments you have raised about the wet room and will be discussing this with our maintenance department, it could be that the angle of the floor tiles isn’t quite right and needs re adjusting to help the water drain away properly.

Please accept my apologies for the delay in getting the other suitcase stand for you, this should not have taken so long.

With regards to breakfast I was pleased to see that the issue was quickly resolved, I can assure you that this isn’t normally a problem, however I will be taking this up with the food & beverage manager to ensure more care is taken next time.

I am glad that you found the hotels central location to be ideal for your visit.

We hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to the Gonville soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed mid July for two nights in Room 228, great location, easy to find from the M11, easy ample parking included, polite and friendly reception staff, room ready even though we were early, lovely refurbed room, views over Parkers Piece obscured by a magnificent horsechestnut tree, clean compact bathroom, very comfortable bed (would love one at home),brilliant A/C which was very much needed, breakfast was ok first morning but very good next morning, very efficient restaurant staff-nothing too much trouble, easy walk to city centre. Only one minor complaint is the tiny, tiny breakfast table, not enough room for all the plates, cups and saucers and other breakfast items! Did not eat in the hotel in the evening, so cannot comment.
Overall would stay again. Thank you to all the staff, the management should be proud!

Dear LizW3

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, I was really pleased to see that you had a lovely stay with us and that you found our reception team to be polite and friendly – this is something we have been working on recently to get this back to our usual high standard!

If you let me have your contact details I would be happy to give you more information about our fabulous beds if you would like to purchase a new one for home! I know a lot of time was taken in choosing the right mattress to provide our guests with a great nights sleep.

I am also pleased to tell you that we will be addressing the design issues of the breakfast area as well as the public areas in the next part of our Refurbishment plan – which will really be exciting!

Thanks again and I hope to meet you on your next visit

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel is highly recommended to anyone looking to stay in Cambridge.
We found the rooms and hotel spotless and the staff very friendly and really helpful. The cooked breakfast was 1st class with a good selection of cereals and fresh fruit.
Location wise it was well placed to easily reach all attractions and universities.

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Leesway5

Thank you for your 5 star review this was fantastic to see!

Please know that your comments have been passed to all my team who will be delighted!

Nothing gives us more pleasure than making our guests happy!

We hope that on your next visit we will have the opportunity to serve you again.