“Highly recommend”

The Gonville Hotel
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I chose this hotel because it was near Anglia Ruskin university where my daughter had an interview. The hotel was a 10 minute walk from the train station and easy to find. The website said the hotel had recently been refurbished and our room was definitely new and modern, as well as clean. Every member of staff we met were helpful and friendly. We had a lovely cooked breakfast and you could also help yourself to a buffet of cereal,cooked meats,fruit and yoghurt etc. On checking out we were allowed to leave our luggage with the hotel whilst we spent our last day sight seeing. The hotel was around the corner from an array of restaurants and bars and a short walk led you to the city centre and the colleges. I would definitely stay here again & recommend it to anyone wanting to stay in Cambridge.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for The Gonville Hotel

Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for my sisters Hen weekend and I was really happy with my choice. Finding a hotel for such a large group I thought was going to be hard but the staff especially Emily were so accommodating and she was able to assist me with the arrangements.

The rooms were newly furnished and very clean. The Breakfast was lovely and thankfully on till 10.30am for the late risers.

We were pleasantly surprised with the garden out the back so we were able to enjoy the lovely weather with a drink or two.

Thank you all again for making the weekend even more enjoyable.

Louise. Bexleyheath Kent

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
COgston1, Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

I was delighted to see that your large hen party had an enjoyable stay with us and when making the arrangements with Emily it was a pleasure.

Please know that I will be passing on your feedback to her as well as the housekeepers with regards to the very clean standard of rooms.

I am glad that the recent weather enabled you to enjoy our secluded garden, perfect for those pre dinner drinks!

With Cambridge having a lot to offer and with our great location we understand that our guests do sometimes need a more understanding time to enjoy breakfast which I am pleased you were able to take advantage of!

I hope that on your next visit to Cambridge we will be your first choice and very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

I picked this hotel having been to a conference here many years ago, I only live down the road in Hitchin, but was going to see a band and was chuffed that I picked the right hotel. Not having to pay for parking is a massive bonus and it's right in the middle of town. Every member of staff was polite and efficient and the breakfast choice was great and the food was brilliant.

Our twin room was £143 - one night, with free parking ( most don't have parking or you pay over £15) and we had a massive breakfast - the room was immaculately clean and they provide complimentary water which is great as I always take a bottle for night time. The bed was very comfortable and the linen and duvet nicely laundered. Easy to check in and check out and they offer a speedy check out service which you need to mention on arrival.
I would definitely go back to this hotel as I don't have one bad word to say about it.

Room Tip: You could ask for one looking out over the front- Parkers piece ( nice park)- we were at back though...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.

I was really pleased to see that you had a great stay and found us to be great value, due to the complimentary on site parking, fantastic breakfast we offer, service provided and cleanliness of our recently refurbished bedrooms.

Ensuring our guests experience fantastic quality as well as great value is very important to us and something that gives us real pleasure.

A lot of time is taken on reviewing and implementing guest suggestions to see how we can improve. Often it is all about the small things such as the bottled water in the bedrooms to the ingredients used at breakfast or even a smile on the Receptionist's face when they greet you.

Thank you again and I hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed for two nights to meet up with friends (9 of us) from around the UK. Check in was efficient, the room was great and the bed very comfortable. We dined in the hotel on the Friday and all enjoyed the meal. The service was very attentive and despite our numbers, the bills were sorted and allocated very quickly. Breakfast we very good and the hot food was cooked to order and a cut above the "hot lamp" buffet seen too often these days. The only criticism we have is small and was related to the fact that in our party was a 10 year old, who was allowed in the bar before dinner on the Friday, but not allowed in the bar on the Saturday evening. When we challenged this we were initially told, it was a license issue, but this was later changed to "a house rule", which is OK, but there were no signs up to this efect, nor did we notice it on the web site. At all times the staff ere very courteous and helpful and this incident did not affect our stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, I was very pleased to see that you and your friends had an enjoyable stay with us.

Please know that I will be passing on your feedback to the rest of my team, they will also be pleased to learn that you experienced great service, enjoyed the food at dinner as well as at breakfast and found the accommodation to be great.

With regards to allowing Children in the bar, this should have been explained better at the time, something I will be taking up with those concerned.

We are always pleased to see Children; however we try to keep the inner bar area for adults only following previous guest feedback that we should have at least one area like this. The lounge area just outside the bar is absolutely fine. I am pleased that this didn’t affect your stay.

I hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to the Gonville Hotel soon for another great stay!

Thanks again,

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Friendly hotel. Short walk to centre of Cambridge.
Refurbished room with extremely comfortable 6ft double. Wet room style shower, drainage not perfect! Very clean room and bathroom.
Breakfast was good with friendly efficient staff.
Small garden, with a few tables.
Corridors and hallway little dated but the hotel is currently being updated.
Would definitely return.
Free parking.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2013

A one night stay in Cambridge on a touring holiday so we wanted to be within easy walking distance of the historic centre. The Gonville fits the bill.

Spacious, comfortable room. The bathroom was on the small side (one person at a time!) and with a glass door that didn't seal if off from the bedroom, less than totally private but this was a minor issue.

Delicious, freshly cooked breakfast with very nice staff. There are loads of eating options within 10 minutes walk of the hotel so we didn't eat dinner in the hotel.

Would certainly stay here again

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hilary J
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights at the beginning of April. The hotel is a short 10 minute walk from the city centre and the receptionist on check in was more than helpful and provided us with a map and highlighted all of the major attractions.

We arrived a little early and asked if it was possible for us to leave the car in the car park whilst we went into the city. It turned out that our room was ready so we were able to check in. The service we received at the time of check in was excellent and the receptionist is a credit to the hotel.

The room we had was recently refurbished and very comfortable. The shower was very good (something that is very hard to get right in my opinion). I noticed that there was also a pillow menu in the room just in case the pillows that were provided were not to your taste, a very nice touch.

The hotel is still undergoing some refurbishment but this did not impact on out stay in any way at all and all of the maintenance staff were polite and greeted us every morning when we went down for breakfast.

The breakfast was very good as well with a very good selection for the continental breakfast. The cooked breakfast was also tasty and hot. I like a lot of coffee in the morning and when I asked for a big pot of coffee this seemed to be no trouble at all.

The staff were excellent throughout out stay and I would have no hesitation in staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2013
COgston1, Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review,

I was very pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us in early April and you found all of our team from check in to check out to be excellent. Also that you enjoyed the breakfast and thought the location of the hotel was good for the city centre and major attractions.

Please know that I will be passing on your comments to the rest of the team - nothing gives us more pleasure than knowing our valued guests have had a great stay!

Your comments will also help me show my team that when working together to provide excellent service within their own departments, it all fits together in providing an excellent overall guest experience which is what we strive to do.

Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.