“More average than best western”
Review of The Gonville Hotel

The Gonville Hotel
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Glasgow
“More average than best western”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

One night in Cambridge whilst seeing friends: we needed somewhere central, comfortable and not too expensive. We had no problems with those criteria being met: the Gonville overlooks Parker's Piece and is 10 minutes walk into the centre of the city; we had a comfortable room to the front and value for money was fine. But would we return?

I get the feeling that our room had been recently refurbished and it was very nice: but no wardrobe! And a lovely wet room style en-suite but unfortunately the floor did not slope properly towards the drain, leaving the whole floor wet. Note to manager: after a refurbishment, check everything works as it should! We asked for extra towels to mop up the floor.

Breakfast was served in the atrium. Choice and quantities of food were fine, but R's cooked breakfast was barely lukewarm. It was sent back and a hot plateful appeared: someone in the kitchen is not checking what is being sent out. Waiting staff would walk away from the table leaving used crockery behind.

One of the golden rules of writing a review is not to complain on-line if you haven't complained in person. However, one of the golden rules of running a hotel is to ask every guest upon check-out if everything was fine. We weren't asked if we'd enjoyed our stay and if everything was ok. We did enjoy our stay, but not everything was OK. Far from 'best' it was 'average.'

2 Thank B-RReviews
RwRoddie, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Good morning
First of all please accept my apologises for our short comings on this occassion .
I appreciate your comments and would be grateful if you could let me know which room you stayed in so that I can check out the wet room floor as all rooms were inspected for this when they were handed over.
We did extensively test our clients in respect of the Hanging rail and virtually all of them said that they rearely unpacked and only needed somewhere to hang thier Dress/Suit etc.. This enable us to provide a more spacious rooms without the added furniture of a wardrobe. We do however still have some rooms with Traditional wardrobes.
Kind regards
Roderick A S Watson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed April 13, 2013

When we stayed on the Gonville in november of last year we arrived late at night to a well meaning but ineffective night staff who had significant trouble finding our booking on the system. When we first arrived the key card failed to work something that happened again twice the following morning which is obviously frustrating. The room was relativly sufficent but contained a wet room instead of the bath we had asked for. The wet room was a nightmare as it did not have sufficant drainage and so the bathroom floor and the carpet of the room got very wet indeed. At breakfast we had issues with being allowed in as the room was originally booked by a friend and so we had changed the name to our own but this had not been corrected on the system meaning a tense exchange with the waitress and eventually we had to point the name out ourselves on the list she was holding. The breakfast was of a decent standard (however a greater selection of items on the buffet would have been nice) the only issue with is being that I ordered scrambled egg and was given fried. Overall for this amount of money I expected a greater level of detail particularly considering it is a four star establishment.

• Stayed November 2012
Good morning
I was very sad to read your Review and apologises for our failings on this occassion
I am only sorry that you did not feel able to contact me at the Time when i would have hoped to have apologised in person and tried to rectify the problems which occurred .
Kind regards
Roderick A S Watson
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

My son and i stayed for 1 night to explore Cambridge. A newly refurbished room which was very spacious and comfortable. In addition it was very quiet even though it was on the ground floor near the restaurant.
The hotel is very convenient for the city centre which was great and the parking on site was the reason I chose to stay here.
Only quibbles would be the shower which would suddenly go cold for no reason and the fact that I was charged extra for my son to share the room even though I had booked a twin - I still don't understand the reason for this.

Room Tip: Rooms 1-4 on the ground floor are specially designed for less able travellers and are very spacious...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Had a one night stay to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary. The room was very spacious, the bed extremely comfortable and the facilities excellent. The location was very convenient, being only a ten minute walk from the city centre, and overlooking a large common (Parker's Piece).
What most impressed me was the staff. Not only were they polite and helpful; they were also proactive in asking whether you needed help. We were made to feel like welcome and valued guests.
The whole experience was a delight and I would happily recommend this hotel.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My wife and I spent an enjoyable 2 nights here as part of a special break offer. The room (at the rear, very quiet) was large and clean with enough hanging space, the bed large and comfortable, the bathroom well presented. All staff from arrival to departure were helpful, courteous and friendly, a credit to the hotel. We had dinner one evening and the quality was very good, meriting the 2 rosette award. Breakfasts were fairly standard but with plenty of choice. My Eggs Benedict one morning was below par but the waitress readily offered an alternative and did not charge for this. Our only minor criticism, one shared by a lot of hotels, was of excessive heat in our bedroom and also in the conservatory breakfast room. We can recommend the Gonville without hesitation!!

Room Tip: Quieter at the back of the hotel
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We have just returned from three days in Cambridge, two nights of which were spent at the Gonville. I requested a quite room at the top and got that - not that the hotel was noisy bearing in mind recent renovations and the presence of workmen noted this morning.
The room was excellent as was the ensuite bathroom. Everything looked brand new and of high quality. There was even a choice of pillows, although we used those supplied.
Staff were superb. They couldn't do enough for us and even managed to find me a collection of decaf. teabags. Breakfast was excellent with such a variety to choose from. I still feel full 9 hours later! I asked for a soft egg and I got a soft fried egg. The waitress asked if I preferred my porridge made with milk or water - they couldn't do enough to help us.

I could go on singing their praises, but have about 30 other e-mails to see to.
The real bonus? We used Tesco Clubcard vouchers for our stay, combined a few National Trust properties on the way there and back - another freebie for my birthday, so all in all it only cost petrol as well as any food and drinks bought while there. The only other extra was a Red Bus and punt tour of the city and River Cam - something we always do if the tours are available.
There was parking on site.

Room Tip: We had a room on the top floor at the back of the hotel away from the main road - just what I asked...
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We only stayed for one night as we live quite local but we had a lovely stay. Plenty of disabled parking which is a must in Cambridge so its easy then to get into town. So many other hotels either have no parking or charge. Lovely big room with a wet room. Room 11 is located on the ground floor in a quite area tucked away. Close to resteraunt. Really lovely breakfast plenty of choice and as much as you want. Very helpful and friendly staff. Nothing too much trouble.

Room Tip: Ask for an accessible room if you are diasbled. We chose room 11. Faces overlooking Parkers Peice...