“Best Western is Best in town”
Review of The Gonville Hotel

The Gonville Hotel
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Best Western is Best in town”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Having stayed at many hotels over the years I have to say my experience at the Gonville Hotel in Cambridge was unsurpassed. The room itself was newly refurbished, very comfortable and quiet. The staff were very helpful and it seemed nothing would have been too much trouble. Breakfast was excellent and freshly cooked to order.
Thanks for a great stay, I'm definitely going to recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank alchopop
COgston1, Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Firstly thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback,

I was really pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us and you found the newly refurbished rooms to be comfortable and quiet.

Please know that I will be passing on your feedback to the rest of our team as we are always encouraging them to give excellent service and provide a great breakfast!

Nothing pleases us more than having our guests leave happy!

I hope we will have another opportunity to serve you again and please do tell your friends we would love to welcome them also for a great stay!

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Stayed on weekend stay break which was really good value. Lovely comfortable room and the shower was great, really powerful. This hotel is in a great location for visiting Camrbidge. Breakfast was very nice and cooked to order. Dinner in the restaurant was also really good Would recommend this hotel and would stay again on next visit to Cambridge.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback,

I was really pleased to learn that you had a great stay with us and found us to be great value with a great location! It certainly isn’t far to walk to all the main shopping areas and fantastic colleges!

Please know that I will be passing on your feedback to our New Head Chef Nick with regards to the good food you had here, he is certainly making the improvements in this area we have been looking for and I am pleased that we are delivering this consistently.

Please do recommend us and I hope to meet you on your next visit!

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I was staying on business with DBB paid by my company. If you want some vegetables with your meat, you have to pay an extra £2.95, not included in the DBB rate. And if you want room service, you have to pay an extra £15 which is also not covered under the DBB rate. Ridiculous!

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Firstly may I thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.

I was sorry to learn that you felt our Dinner Bed & Breakfast rate was not good value.

Our Head Chef Nick and his team have spent a lot of time creating the menus to ensure that each dish is well balanced and accompanied with the relevant vegetables to complete the dish. However any additional vegetables are charged at £2.95.

With regards to the room service charge, we do apply a small tray charge of £5 (not £15), for all orders under £7.50.

I hope that we will have another opportunity to serve you again and turn this around for you into a positive.

Thanks again.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I started living in Gonville during my work related trips to Cambridge from starting of this year. The services of this hotel is excellent and the best place for a city living.
Very good maintained rooms, clean and well maintained for a week long stay.
Excellent staff, very welcoming and friendly.
The food is of very good standard and the breakfast served is upto mark for a refreshing start for a tiring day.
This place is now my preferred place as and when Cambridge calls me in for work, and will be always my first choice in Cambridge.

Room Tip: Look for front facing rooms, facing Parker's piece
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2016
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to tell you that all the hotel has now been refurbished and is totally different now from when you last stayed.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I have used the Gonville regularly over the past 10 years and always found it to be clean and comfortable with good friendly helpful staff. The food has always been of a good high standard.
Its central location makes it an ideal place to stay when visiting Cambridge be it on business or pleasure. I am aware that the hotel has recently further upgraded its bedrooms recently so I am looking forward to my next visit. Highly recommended. PA/LL

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Peter A

SWANSEA
Reviewed February 28, 2013

An excellent stay. Recently refurbished room was smart & clean with a well-functioning wet room area. If anything the storage / hanging areas were a little limited & rather open & exposed.

This was a genuinely dog-friendly hotel with a good quality room provided. Its position opposite a 25 acre public green space (Parkers Piece) was ideal for dog walking as well as being only a short walk to the city centre.

The staff were helpful, charming & informative but possibly the biggest surprise was the excellence of the food available in the restaurant. We have tasted vastly worse in so-called dedicated 'posh' restaiurants.

In summary our stay was a lovely surprise & we would not consider looking elsewhere for any future visit to Cambridge.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SKETTYTRAVELLER

Devon
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Excellent and highly recommended for 'no frills' accommodation. Stayed six nights, really enjoyable. Staff extremely friendly and helpful. Twin room, spacious and comfortable. Shower over bath (advised it was bath only before arrival) was brilliant. Free wifi useful. Breakfast good standard each day, plenty of everything. Newspaper at Reception each morning a bit of a pain as it tended to be busy with people checking out; separating this service somehow would be better. Building work at the Hotel was well publicised and was not intrusive during our stay. The car parking facility, position and convenience for town unsurpassed. We hope to go again.

Room Tip: Twin bedded room very flexible and spacious.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple