“Well done, Reception team”
Review of The Gonville Hotel

The Gonville Hotel
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Two night stay for me + beloved. Arrived late evening, dumped our bags in room 219 and went out to meet others. Returned later and tried to unpack but there was no furniture to put our clothing in. There was one short rail with hangers that would not even support the weight of a light garment, so we were picking stuff up from the floor until we gave up. Bed was small (standard) and not comfy. Next morning talked to Reception about the problems and were moved to a different room (217) which was larger, had a decent bed AND a wardrobe. Second night slept much better.

Car parking on site was part of the deal. We didn't try the restaurant and the building works in progress were silent the weekend we were there.

Room Tip: check very carefully about the beds and clothes storage.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Gonville Hotel

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We ate at the Gonville Hotel for my husbands 50th birthday and it happened to be a special Valentines set menu which was very well put together, offering an interesting range of dishes to cater for different tastes. On arrival we were taken to the bar area and served pink bubbly with hors d'oeuvres and when our food was ready we were shown to our table in the very comfortable, candlelit restaurant. The food was fantastic - suburbly cooked and beautifully presented. The service was second to none and the evening ended up a real treat for us. This is somewhere we can recommend to friends.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
COgston1, Guest Relations Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Firstly may I thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

I was delighted to see that you had an enjoyable birthday celebration meal with us during Valentines, with the food and service you experienced being excellent.

Our New Head Chef – Nick, is very passionate about the quality of the menus he produces and takes his time ensuring that the flavours and presentation of each dish is to a high standard, as well as being locally sourced wherever possible.

Please know that I will be passing on your feedback to the teams concerned, nothing gives us more pleasure than knowing guests have enjoyed their visit.

We do hope that we will have another opportunity to serve you again soon.

We are currently taking bookings for Mothers Day lunch and I am sure this will also be a real treat and great value too!

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Had a lovely weekend at this hotel. Booked direct with hotel and saved a fortune! Instead of 278 pounds we got bigger room, bed and breakfast and a Valentine's four course meal for 235! Hotel absolutely fine, bed really comfy, room clean, no complaints at all

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 927Saly
COgston1, Guest Relations Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback,

I was really pleased to learn that you really enjoyed your recent stay with us and found our Valentine's package to be great value!

Certainly when booking direct great savings can be made!

I will be passing on your feedback with regards to the bed and cleanliness of the room to our Housekeeping department, we take care and time when selecting our beds to ensure that they are the best quailty and provide a great nights sleep.

Thank you again and I hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back and serve you again.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Booked when family car, including children and dog, broke down during a long journey. They, especially Danielle, the receptionist, helped make the car-experience less stressful by being very very helpful. Thank you! Warm, peaceful, clean, good breakfast, secure parking, free wifi.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Firslty may I thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

I was pleased to learn that your recent stay with us was excellent and the service provided by Danielle made your car experience less stressful and easier to deal with.

Providing excellent customer service is something we are passionate about and reward our team for doing so.

I am glad that you found the hotel to be comfortable and that you enjoyed the breakfast, free parking and WiFi.

We do hope that we will have another opportunity to serve you again, however under better circumstances with regards to your car situation!

Reviewed February 14, 2013

The Gonville provides excellent value for Cambridge. It is within easy walking distance of colleges, shops, market and restaurants. I chose it initially because it is close to my son's college. There is ample parking for guests and is within easy reach of the station for those arriving by train.
The service can't be faulted - at reception, in the restaurant and around the hotel generally, the staff are cheerful and helpful.
This was my second two-night stay and my room was larger than last time. The huge bed was supremely comfortable. The large walk-in 'wardrobe'/store room was a great plus with more than enough room on the long hanging rail for my clothes and plenty of floor room for bags. I had asked for a bathroom with walk-in shower, but baths are also an option.
My son joined me for breakfast on both mornings and we had lunch on the Sunday. The food is very good, eggs cooked exactly to order.
I really can't imagine anywhere better for the price in Cambridge.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank ValkyrieTheWirral

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, it was nice to have you staying again with us.

I was very pleased to see that you found the Gonville Hotel to be excellent value as well as having a great location close to the colleges; offering value this is certainly what we aim to achieve, and feel it is important to our guests when they book.

Our recent refurbishment work as well as continuous investment in staff training helps us achieve this and is all about making our guest experience the best it can be.

We are always encouraging our team to give excellent service and this is something they are rewarded for, so please know that I will be passing on your praise – thank you.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

On the plus side the rooms were spacious and spotless. There is parking which is brilliant in Cambridge and is only about 15 minutes from centre. Our party of four spent the last night here after a week travelling around UK so had 6 other nights away to compare with. Our bed was smaller than usual although comfortable. We were looking forward to the breakfast as quite a few people had commented that it was good. However it arrived extremely quickly so must have been pre-cooked. Bacon dry, egg white runny and overall a bit bland. We ate in the restaurant on the evening we arrived....2 of our party had a good meal but two who had the calves liver were very disappointed, in fact another diner complained about his liver dish. Cheese boards were nice and treacle tart was dry, the desert menu was a bit limited. Restaurant very expensive for what it is. We would have been happy with the hotel if we had eaten out for dinner and breakfast. Waiting staff very pleasant and helpful.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lesley W
COgston1, Guest Relations Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Firstly may I thank you for taking the time to leave a review, the contents of which have been noted.

Being a customer focused hotel we take all of our feedback seriously and use it as a tool to help improve the products and service we provide.

I was pleased to learn that you found our location to be ideal for the city centre, the bedrooms to be spacious and spotlessly clean, and the restaurant staff pleasant and helpful when serving you.

However I was concerned to see your comments with regards to the quality of food you experienced.

I would be grateful if you could email me with more specific details so that I can discuss this with the Head Chef and make any improvements needed, My email address is ops@gonvillehotel.co.uk or alternatively you can call me on 01223 221110.

For your information I am aware that another guest had made a comment made about the presentation of the Liver and Bacon dish over the weekend, expecting it to have whole rashers of bacon rather than diced and pan fried with Shallots, as clearly described on the menu.

Although apart from this they did enjoy it.

With regards to the Breakfast we offer, this is cooked fresh during the service time according to the numbers we are expecting. This to us is the most important meal of the day and we ensure that we offer great value to our guests.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope that we will have another opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Stayed overnight at the Gonville Hotel while on business. Pleasantly surprised at just how nice it was given a room rate of £125 - Cambridge is not cheap.

My room looked recently refurbed, with stylish decor and furnishings, very comfy kingsize bed, chic wet room shower (glass door yes, but translucent), nice swivel chair at desk and armchair. And proper functioning aircom.

Breakfast was £10 if booked in advance and was excellent in choice and quality,taken in the rather nice atrium. Did not eat dinner there. Nice helpful staff throughout.

Plenty of free parking if you drive, not too far from station or city centre if on foot.

Will certainly return.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2016

Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to tell you that all the hotel has now been refurbished and is totally different now from when you last stayed.

We would love to welcome you back soon.

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review,

Kind regards,