“Mediocre dining experience”

Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed December 20, 2010

This review focuses only on the dining experience at this hotel. I have dined here twice in the last ten months and can only describe it as mediocre. Overcooked and bland food - I would go somewhere else given the option.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
DTCambridge_10, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2011

Dear BrerFox01
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent dining experience at the Riverside Brasserie. As a regular local user of the Brasserie perhaps you would like to contact me directly on 01223 259932 so we may discuss the matter further.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,191)

Reviewed December 14, 2010

In all my extensive travels this is certainly one of the more pleasant ones. The service has been absolutely outstanding. It is in a great location as well. Everything is within walking distance and there's lots of restaurants and shopping available. It is in a nice private location giving you peace and quiet at the end of the day. The individuals in the reception area are very friendly and provide excellent service. In other reviews there have been complaints to the size of the rooms.... unless you plan on doing aerobic exercises in your room, they are quite cozy. The prices are a little high but it is well worth the stay. Cambridge is expensive in general and I'm sure there's a lot of overhead the hotel is responsible for. You won't find a better deal for the quality you will get at this hotel. Hope this helps!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank OBobby49er

Dear OBobby49er
I was so pleased to learn that you had a wonderful experience whilst staying with us recently. We do hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed December 7, 2010

I booked this hotel for my parents I was stuck between choosing the Double Tree or Varsity Hotel but choose this because it was slightly cheaper and had an on-sight car part. They really enjoyed their stay. Their room was a standard double and looked over the car park, which initially sounds like a terrible view but actually they could see the river cam, fields, the back of Peterhouse College and back of the Fitzwilliam museum. They paid extra for the breakfast and said it was well worth it; with lots of choice and variety and cooked in front of them. The on-sight car park was a big plus even though they had to pay £17 it meant they could park the car in the morning before check in and leave it there until midnight following check out.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joyfulnus

Dear Joyfulnus
Thank you for posting a review. I am very pleased to learn that your parents had a most pleasant stay with us and appreciated the wonderful views. I do hope we may have the pleasure of looking after them again during their next visit.

Reviewed December 6, 2010

A one night weekend stay, comfortable room with good view, all of the amenities you would expect, friendly staff, keen to help with all requests, easy check in / check out, breakfast in room option was nice, everything we ordered was supplied spot on time. If I am to be super critical- breakfast tea a little cold! perhaps a swanky Hilton tea cosy?!
Don't hesitate to book, lovely hotel in a great position.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Lightweightman
Thank you for your recent review. I was very pleased to learn that you found the team friendly and that you appreciated the location of the hotel. I do hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed November 23, 2010

The Doubletree Hotel in Cambridge is located at very nice location close the river Cam. As far as I know, all rooms are very quiet. If you book a room, try to get one with view to the river. It is definitely worth it. Close to the hotel is a very nice pub called The Anchor, where you can also get descent pub food.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Dave4422

Dear Dave4422
Thank you for your recent review of Doubletree Cambridge. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed the hotel and the surrounding location. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed November 23, 2010

Cambridge Hilton was the middle of three back to back Hilton stays and was by far the best. I try and visit Cambridge at least once a year and there is simply no better location to be had in the city. Right on the river makes it quiter than other locations in Cambridge, walking to the centre takes just minutes and there is car parking. I note there have been complaints about the charges but Cambridge was not designed for the car and parking is at a premium. I always travel by car to hotels, yes some are free but most in ciites charge and I have paid more that this hotel charges. I have always found a space - most other hotels have smaller car parks using them is not always possible.
The staff on reception are polite and efficent and indeed often recognise me and welcome me using my name before I have told them it! I always stay in one of the junior suites to ensure I have the location within the hotel that gives me the best views. I was even presented with a bottle of champagne and a card on the evening of my birthday - such a lovely touch.
The only small complaint I have is that the cooked brakfast selection had been under heat since being cooked & was a litlle tired, as we were arring close to end of service time this may be part of the reason, early eaters could well have done better. Realistically that is a small moan as everything about our stay was yet again A1 star grade. We then moved on the Hilton Park Lane which I think is graded higher and it was entirely grim - the staff should be sent to Cambridge to see how it should be done and trained by them.

Just wish Hilton would use the old name of Garden House within the hotel name!!!
Well done all @ Hilton (Garden House) again.

MS devon

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank meyres
DTCambridge_10, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2011

Dear meyres
Thank you for your review of Doubletree Cambridge following your stay with us. I am so pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is always our aim to make our guests feel individual and recognise the reason for their stay with us. I appreciate the feedback on breakfast and we will monitor this closely. Looking forward to seeing you soon

Reviewed November 20, 2010

We arrived to find out parking was17.50 per night...... There are no other options close by, so stuck and had to pay...!

Booked via lastminute.com - secret hotel - got excellent deal for Sat night, dont think I would have like to pay the full rate.

Don't get me wrong, hotel is nice, but I travel worldwide on business and it's what I would expect from a **** hotel.

Slow check out at 11.30am - 6 people ahead of us. We had not received an express bill to our room so had to queue at desk. No queue for Hilton Honours, whats the point of having a frequent guest scheme if I'm not being recognised. Only 2 serving at reception desk, supervisor was just standing next to conceirge watching..!

We were on the 1st floor and party downstairs with music till midnight, this didnt bother us as we only got back to the hotel at 11.30pm but others were complaining at check out.

Did not eat/drink at the hotel - we chose to eat at Jamies Italian which was e-x-c-e-l-l-e-n-t.....

The only thing going for this hotel is location.

Would I stay here again - yes if I got the same deal with parking thrown in...!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SJBerkshire
DoubletreeCambridge, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2010

Thank you for taking time to comment on your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge. I was pleased to learn that you were happy with the room rate on lastminute. However, I was sorry to read that you felt the car parking charges were expensive, these are the average charged by 4* hotels in the centre of Cambridge.
I was sorry to learn of the delay on check out and that both terminals were busy, including the dedicated Hilton HHonors area. With regards to your comments about not receiving an express check out bill, this was due to your room being fully pre-paid, however thank you for bringing this to our attention.
We always welcome constructive feedback as it is a powerful tool that enables us to clearly identify where improvements may be needed and I will definitely pass on your comments to all relevant managers.