“Room & Facilities lovely - Food & Drink overpriced”

Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Eastbourne
“Room & Facilities lovely - Food & Drink overpriced”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We were at the Hilton for a wedding and it was fabulous.

The room was lovely, and the swimming pool, sauna and jacuzzi were just what we needed the following day. The breakfast was amazing and absolutely delicious, something for all with any tastes. (To be fair, it's what you expect for the price!)

What I did not expect was to pay for parking!! (in the hotel car park may I add!) Also, the prices of drinks were extortionate - take your own and drink in your room! We had a lovely view and balcony which was just perfect!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony over the river... beautiful!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London UK
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have NOT stayed in this magnificant hotel but have attended an event held at it. The hotel is perfectly placed next to the river where you can go punting or sit and watch the world punt by. The interior is modern and tasteful, the facilities we used were clean. The grounds were well tended and the service from the staff was faultless.

If I do visit Cambridge again I will look into staying here - if I can afford it.

Room Tip: If you can get a room overlooking the river you must have an amazing picturesque view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
AitziberH, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Crutches
Thank you for your most kind review. We are happy to see that you managed to enjoy the services on offer during your short visit to the hotel. We hope next time you are in Cambridge you are able to overnight with us and make the most of all the facilities.
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This timeless Cambridge landmark hotel has changed names several times over the years but it remains the only place to stay if you want a riverfront traffic-free location with plenty of parking. Yes, it's the most expensive but worth it. Excellent dining room, especially for breakfast, and the staff are very helpful. I stayed here for three nights in June and once again marveled at the location - where else can you have breakfast watching the cows graze by the river? My sole complaint is that the fire alarm system is truly alarming. One night about 3am I was woken terrified in my room by the ear-piercing in-room siren and bright flashing red light. But no announcement system whatsoever in the room or corridor. Phones went unanswered and nobody was around to say what was happening. The alarm soon stopped and I remained in my room. Next day the front desk people apologized for the extreme disturbance with total lack of guest information and gave me some bill discount as a result. But I will always stay in this beautiful historic hotel.

Room Tip: River view higher floor rooms are more expensive but worth it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Briancodex
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Just back from the Doubletree Hilton - a birthday treat for my son. Wonderful quiet room overlooking the car park, with a balcony which was good as we could leave the door open to cool the room, it was quiet of a night. Lovely shower and plenty of toiletries too. Staff were so helpful especially James from Concierge who kindly arranged a birthday cake surprise which was brought up early on the 25th as arranged. The pool was lovely and cooling and open really long hours, which was great. Breakfast was plentiful and lots of choice, we were waited on very well with attentive staff. only drawback was the service of an evening. We waited one evening for a menu and it did not come so we had to go into the hotel to ask for one. The following evening it was the same waited for someone to come over to our outside table on the riverside but no waiter came over so again i had to go into the hotel and ask for a menu, i ordered there and then to save some time, everything we wanted except for the drinks was unavailable, because as the waitress said 'we were busy last night'! I find that strange that a 4 star hotel does not replenish its food for dining each evening.

Room Tip: Go to The Granta pub for your evening meal, dont bother with the hotel restaurant as they dont seem...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Spent 2 nights in a Kingsize room (315), with balcony overlooking the river. Lovely setting and the room was clean if a little dated. Agree with other reviews that the balcony could have been cleaner but it was only a few cobwebs - the table and seats were fine. Hot night but our air-con worked fine. There is a slight buzzing sound (as has been mentioned in other reviews) but it was not disturbing and I am pretty fussy. All in all the location is very peaceful with no traffic noise.
We visited the bar for lunch by the river. What a lovely place to escape the hustle and bustle of a hot day in Cambridge. I felt the prices were as one would expect given the location although agree that the soft drinks prices are high (so stick to the alcohol if you can bear it!). The Pizza was very good and despite complaints other reviews have given about the sandwiches they were excellent and good value for money as they serve a double round.

However, the restaurant was a different matter. Breakfast was nice - the pastries too tasty! But on one morning we got there just before 10am and thought we'd been accosted by Basil Fawlty. The manager was agitated because they were expecting "50' people - I found it funny - my husband less so!

Dinner was pretty awful though. Several items not available, tough steak, slap-dash service and eventually us having to complain. The Supervisor, Tom Arnold, was brilliant and saved the day - given that it was our anniversary he offered a bottle of champagne immediately but instead we had coffee and cocktails (several) that he made for us himself and he also settled our bill to our satisfaction. Shame because the restaurant has a lovely outlook over the river but I could not recommend eating here, certainly not on a special occasion.

We used the pool and found it perfectly adequate for a quick dip. Yes if you want to swim 40 lengths you might get a bit dizzy but it is a hotel pool not a municipal one.

Would definitely stay again if I was visiting for a weekend but just give the restaurant a wide-berth for anything except breakfast. I suspect the location can't be beaten in Cambridge. Will probably even come to the Bar for lunch by the river with the family or friends one day. Good Times.....

Room Tip: Recommend room 315 - kingsize with balcony
1 Thank CJChivers
Allendale, New Jersey
Reviewed July 25, 2013

After an overnight flight from the states, we arrived sleep-deprived to check in at 11 AM. We were tersely informed at the front desk that “rooms are not required to be ready until 3 PM.” (They did manage to give us a room before 3, but their attitude had already fomented feelings of irritation.) Less costly B&Bs, Hampton Inns and many other hotels routinely provide free WIFI; for the cost of a Hilton Hotel, any charge is unwarranted and resented, but a daily $25. fee is robbery! The buffet breakfast was overpriced ($20. per person) with very mediocre food. The tiny bars of soap in the bathroom were not replaced as long as a shred remained. Since the hotel was clearly looking to squeeze more dollars (actually pounds) wherever they could, they might have provided a few bathroom hooks so that we could reuse our towels. The air conditioning did not cool the room sufficiently; with feelings of guilt, we were forced to leave it running during the time we were out of the room. The mini-fridge was stocked with an assortment of items to be purchased. Not an inch of room for something the guest might like to refrigerate! A Hilton Hotel would be wise to provide a couple complementary cold bottles of water upon arrival and WIFI. We felt nickeled and dimed at every turn. I will say the location was very good. However, the public displays of drinking all around the river and adjacent park is another topic.

3 Thank L K
Dear LK
Thank you for your review. I was sorry to read of your disappointing visit to the DoubleTree Cambridge. Firstly, my apologise if the staff where not friendly enough when advising that as per hotel policy and common practice the room was not immediately available on arrival to the hotel at 11am. I was also very sorry that you were not happy with the WiFi charges. We do offer complimentary use of our Business centre on the ground floor, with free use of our computers, printing and WiFi access. My apologies if this was not explained to you on check in.
With regards to your comment about the towels, we are very proud of our Ecofriendly policies, we offer the option of reusing the towels during long stays and a proper system is in place to help with this and therefore I was very surprised by your comments. Overall I am very sorry for your dissatisfaction as it is definitely not our intention to upset our valuable customers for which I offer once again my sincere apologies.
Kings Lynn
Reviewed July 23, 2013

What a brilliant hotel! Only stayed for 1 night, but everything about the hotel was brilliant. The staff couldn't have been more accommodating, the rooms were clean and well presented, the food was tasty and the facilities were great too. We stayed with our young baby and the hotel met all of our needs and more. The staff went out of their way to make sure we were happy and comfortable and all service was received with a smile (which goes a long way in my book!)

The hotel is located only minutes away from the city centre, but you can still enjoy the peace and quite of the hotel's riverside garden terrace.

Room Tip: If possible, opt for a king room. And one overlooking the river too.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Toshihiko S, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear LouiseE Thank you for your review.
I was pleased to see from your comments that you had a fantastic stay with us!
We look forward to welcoming you back to the DoubleTree Cambridge in the near future.