“Lovely views and convenient location”

Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The hotel is very conveniently located if you're visiting many of the Colleges of Cambridge University, attending their events or visiting as a tourist. The only other options nearby are Hotel du Vin and Cambridge City Hotel. The good points of the hotel were: service was excellent with staff being professional and cheerful, there was air-conditioning for the summer, the rooms seemed recently renovated with new bathrooms and soft furnishings, car parking is around 18 Pounds per day for hotel guests which is a relief as city centre parking in Cambridge is such a challenge, the breakfast is hearty with lots of choice and plastic cups for you to take away coffee or orange juice, the hotel gardens are lovely and the restaurant and bar both have fantastic views and open onto the garden.

Negative points are: squeeky hotel room doors which don't close properly, bathrooms are a bit small, not enough closet or wardrobe space, and the price which is high for the size of room and grade of hotel.

A nice touch was the warm cookies given by reception on arrival together with some bottled water.

Rooms facing the river have a wonderful view and were not too noisy fortunately.

Generally a pleasant stay and experience and I wouldn't mind returning.

Room Tip: River view rooms are more expensive and may not be worth the extra price. But try asking for an upgr...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
AitziberH, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Thank you very much for your extensive and detailed review. This is much appreciated. I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and what the hotel has to offer, including the convenient car parking facilities. We take your constructive comments on board and I assure you that they will be seriously considered in the future. We look forward to having you with us on your next visit to Cambridge.

There are newer reviews for Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre

Reviewed June 30, 2013

This is our third stay at the Hilton,Cambridge within a year. Its' location in the heart of the City is perfect with car parking actually at the hotel and just a very short,interesting walk to everything that Cambridge has to offer. Right by the river too! There's a warmth and friendliness to this hotel which is why we have returned for the third time BUT it is expensive to stay here reflecting the fact that they're targetting the American and Japanese tourists/business people/academics and because of its location.
The lady on Reception who checked us in was very friendly,helpful and efficient. The two rooms we had reserved weren't quite ready so we ordered tea on the lawn while we waited - again, we received a very good service. The rooms were clean and had a view of the meadows and the college opposite. In the evening we had dinner in the Restaurant and even though it was packed the service we received by the Restaurant Manager was so personal and efficient. He was a true professional and appeared to really love his job. The food was delicious and that,together with the great service ensured we had a memorable evening. The breakfast scored five out of five.

The Living Well Leisure Center was poor. Very poor. It smelt horrible and dirty, the temperature in the Jacuzzi was barely warm, the steam room didn't have any steam!! and the changing rooms too smelt really dirty.

In our bedroom we had no hot water for a bath. I spoke to one of the receptionists who told me that they'd not received any complaints and to keep the tap running which we did but still no hot water. That was disappointing as was the no 'can do' reaction and response of that staff member. There was also a constant buzzing noise. When I mentioned this I was told again that no body else had mentioned it. Actually they did, because last year I mentioned it and I was told it was the pipes!! and at over £300 per night per room this is not good enough. BUT there is something about the hotel that brings us back!! But it needs to be re furbished and updated.

Room Tip: Do NOT even touch the items for sale in the room. If you do, a sensor notes that you've used it...
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We booked the Riverside Brasserie for an evening meal following our daughter's graduation. The restaurant is modern and comfortably furnished, the seats were very comfortable much appreciated after our busy day and we had a great view of the River Cam. The staff were very helpful, especially our waiter Andy who moved us to a quieter table away from a large table of diners. The food was very very good especially our pudding, the apple crumble brulee was recommended and we weren't disappointed. All in all it was the perfect end to a perfect day!

1  Thank Tinnabeth
AitziberH, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear Tinnabeth
Thank you for your positive review. We are thrilled that we were able to help make your daughter’s big graduation day into a perfect day. It is very important for us to help make unforgettable memories for our customers and we are just delighted we managed on this occasion.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Not a bad hotel, not great but not bad. Staff are generally very helpful (although we had multiple calls to try to secure some different pillows). So, all fine, if a little dated, but is it good value? No way! Breakfast and Internet are extra, which at a rack rate of 294 pounds for a standard double room, adds another 32 pounds making it nearly 330 quid a night. Wow! Probably not ever again. There are, I am sure, less aggressively priced options.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Mogowl
I was very sorry to read that despite not having any issue whilst at the hotel and generally enjoying your stay and the service from our team members, you would not return due to the pricing structure. Room rates vary depending on availability and therefore there are many good deals for grab all around the year with inclusive of breakfast and/or dinner rates. I can only hope you will not be deterred from returning to the DoubleTree Cambridge and give us a second chance when I am sure you will enjoy your stay with us once again. In the meantime, I thank you for your review.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

This hotel has many things going for it: convenient location, lots of rooms, great staff, clean and modern... but it has a low, harmonic noise that's a real problem. I didn't notice it until it was lights-out, ready to sleep than then - hmmmmmm, hmmmmm. It's a cyclic noise/vibration that you feel more than hear and is more pronounced in different parts of the room. HVAC? The lift? Kitchen exhaust? It bothered both my spouse and me (I ended up sleeping with my head at the foot of the bed where the noise was less noticeable). The staff is aware because they know which rooms are worst ("not everyone notices it," they said), and they have my sympathy because it's clearly something they can't fix without construction help and probably a big budget. Really surprising in what appears to be a purpose-built hotel facility. Shouldn't they know better?

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kneasles
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I got here on a business trip, and I booked a a king size room, I was recommended this hotel by a friend so I had somewhat high expectations also considering it is rated as a 4 stars.. The room is tiny, with outdated decor, which I would not mind too much, but the bed is a real trap, it is noisy and you can feel all the springs on your back. Also it was not a king size bed which is what I had paid for... For over 200£ a night it is outrageous, I can't believe it is rated 4 stars. Most definitely the absolute worst 4 stars hotel I have ever been to, I would give it 2 max..

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank Miss_tea28

Dear Miss_tea28
Thank you for your review. I was very sorry to read about your disappointing stay with us, however I was very surprised at the comments about the bed and mattress as we usually receive good comments, nonetheless we will investigate into the matter and take necessary actions immediately. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the problems you experienced, I can only hope this will not deterred you from returning to the hotel as we look forward to welcoming you back in the future when I am sure you will be allocated a more suitable room and enjoy your stay thoroughly.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

This was our first trip to Cambridge and we were not disappointed. This hotel has to be the best place by far to stay, in this beautiful city. From the moment we arrived to the minute we left we were treated by very cheerful and extremely efficient staff. Early check in and late departure arranged by the lovely reception staff.
We had a superb, well appointed and clean balcony room, offering amazing views of the river Cam and the cows that were grazing on the other side. Everything was catered for and thanks to Irina, the housekeeper.
Andy, the Concierge, was very helpful with tips and advise and we were made to feel nothing was too much trouble.
Tom and the restaurant staff, were quick, courteous and the food was delicious. They managed to get us a riverside table for every meal.
We enjoyed our little conversations with Abdul the decorator.
The weather was sadly not the best for us, but we sat out on the manicured lawns most afternoons and we entertained by the punting amateurs!
We have absoulutely NO hesitation recommending this hotel and location to others and be sure we will be back. Many thanks to all!

Room Tip: Balcony. Room 207
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kathryn G

Dear Kathryn G
Thank you very much for your review. We are delighted to know that you had such a wonderful stay with us. Nothing makes us happier than happy guests telling us about how much they have enjoyed their visit and the service from all the team members. So thank you again for your feedback, we cannot wait to have you with us again in the very near future.