“Back for the umpteenth time - a recommendation in itself” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre

Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Ranked #10 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Tornby, Denmark
“Back for the umpteenth time - a recommendation in itself”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2011

Second time around since our last review a couple of years ago. And still not the last! That must be a recommendation in itself. The hotel still has the best location in Cambridge. It looked better this year than last year, and must have gone through some TLC recently, eg. in the corridors. The welcome in the reception was friendly and efficient - as usual, even though they didn't have any notes in the bookingsystem that we were frequent guests at this hotel. So we did get the "full intro" again. And again - the cookies are great and a nice touch.
The breakfastbuffet is still good and it's recommendable to book B&B.
So yes - even though the hotel still is a bit pricey - we'll be back!

Room Tip: We recommend the riverview rooms with balcony, and the ones on the first and second floor are in our...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
General_Manager-GC, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
Dear S-Elinna
Thank you for reviewing your recent visit. It's great to hear that we were able to welcome you back once again. We certainly are continuously improving the decor throughout the hotel with the ground floor completed now we are working on schemes to further enhance our bedrooms. I do hope to see you back soon when we will be delighted to present you with our famous chocolate chip cookie on arrival.
Greg Crawford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

The hotel's discreetly tucked away in central Cambridge, 2 minutes walk from Kings Parade and with a perfect view onto the Cam, next to Scudamore's punt hire and the rollers up onto the river leading out to Grantchester. Modern facilities, friendly staff, v comfortable rooms, excellent restaurant, good wide choice of food at breakfast. Just a bit noisy (up till midnight) if you're close to any of the function rooms and there's an 18th or wedding party on, but the walls are thick, the beds comfy, and the 12.00pm finish is well-enforced so it's hardly a problem. We prefer to remember the comfort, perfect September weather, being able to use the fitness centre, pool and sauna next door (included in the price), parking next door, and the ideal location if you want to enjoy central Cambridge for the weekend without having to drive anywhere. Strongly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view of the river.
Dear amdgriggs
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I'm pleased to hear that our central location and perfect spot by the river was ideal for your visit to Cambridge. I will certainly ensure our team receive your positive feedback about their friendliness. I do hope we may welcome you back soon.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

We booked this hotel due to the amazing photos on the hotel's website, that made it look totally luxsurious. Hence why we didn't even think twice about the price. We were expecting the best hotel experience we'd ever had.
On arrival to the car park, we parked up and walked to check in to the hotel. First impression of the hotel rear was not a lot at all. The reception is very swish, and we were thinking "yeh, we've done well here, just what we were expecting".

Once into our room our hopes were dashed. NO WAY was it worth £240. At best and absolute most I would say £150. Even then it's not a patch on the usual hotels we use in London and they are only £90. This Doubletree basically is a glorified Travel Lodge and draws people in by the use of the word: Hilton.

The bathroom was very basic. There was wallpaper damage in our room, one of the ceiling tiles was hanging off, and basically the only good points were:
* Kingsize bed was massive and very comfortable.
* TV
* All the hotel was warm, especially our room.

The staff weren't happy and were basically going through the motions.
Be warned the hotel car park is £17.50 on top of the room rate. But this was good really, as we walked a LOT of the centre and didn't actually see any car parks elsewhere.

The hotel's location is well out of the city centre/shops. A good 10 minute walk. Also it is hard to find, well tucked away. We paid a lot due to the river view. Due to the angle of our room and trees we could probably see at most 3 metres of river!

My last point was there was very loud music until Midnight, due to a wedding reception being held at the hotel. When I say loud, we were on the 2nd floor, and it was still louder than the TV!!!!

the max I rate this hotel in our experience is 4/10.

Room Tip: Save your money and book else where.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank IveGotStandards
General_Manager-GC, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
Dear I'veGotStandards
Thank you for taking the time to post a review further to your recent stay with us. I am very disappointed to learn that overall your stay with us was unsatisfactory and that we did not have the opportunity to deal with the issues during your visit . Please may I ask that you either email me directly on greg.crawford@hilton.com or call on 01223 259932 so that I may resolve the outstanding matters. I look forward to speaking with you soon. Kind regards. Greg Crawford, General Manager
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights as the groom of a wedding party and booked 8 other rooms for the same stay (though we didn't have any part of the wedding here). In the run up to the event they were both helpful and flexible, able to accommodate a couple of last minute changes.
The restaurant is excellent, to the point that it's worth visiting whether you're staying in the hotel or not.
Service was also good, helping us late at night when required with a challenging request. Location ideal, close to the center and right on the river.
Only minor downside - when will expensive hotels realise that internet access is like running water - a basic necessity rather than a business service to charge for?!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Stuart D
Dear Stuart D
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read the great feedback about the team and the service which you received while staying with us. The Brasserie is certainly very popular with local people as well as hotel guests and I am pleased you enjoyed the experience. We do have a business centre in the hotel which has complimentary internet access for our residents. I do hope we can welcome you back in the future. Kind regards Greg Crawford
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

I booked this very late - the day before we arrived so there weren't too many hot deals in Cambridge. It was a toss-up between this and the Crowne Plaza but as the Doubletree were offering a king room with balcony and river views I decided to splash out for a bit of luxury - at £254 (not including breakfast) I thought we'd get something really rather plush.

Unfortunately we arrived to find this was just a right royal rip-off. The room was on the third floor and was tiny - I'd say quite a bit smaller than the average hotel room. The bathroom was also a dud - standing at the sink I could stretch out and touch both walls. The shower was overhead in the (not veyr nice) bath and gave a somewhat pathetic dribble. There was so little space to put any toiletries that my soapbag fell onto the floor, smashing a bottle of perfume, which was intensely irritating.

The balcony which cost us an extra £15 was also miniature with steep sides so it felt very enclosed and not at all inviting. There were a couple of chairs but sitting in them you were staring at the wooden planks forming the barrier so the only way to see the river was by standing up.

The check-in and out desk only had two people - this was OK on the way in but on the way out there was a very slow line which cost us an extra fiver in taxi waiting time.

Had the hotel cost us a hundred quid less I'd have given it a much better review, but I can't understand how Doubletree can justify charging so much for so little. The last time I stayed at a Doubletree I gave it a five star review. This was also a late booking, it was the Doubletree in Times Square in New York and we had a suite, and it cost about $100.

If you can get a good rate, and avoid the third floor, then actually the hotel is in a good location and the staff are pleasant (can't vouch for the health club but it's unusual to have a swimming pool in a Cambridge hotel) but don't expect you're going to get a five star room for the five star prices they charge.

Room Tip: Avoid the third floor
1 Thank rosiefromlondon
Dear rosiefromlondon
Thank you for posting a review recently. I was pleased to learn that you found the hotel location good and the staff pleasant however disappointed to hear that overall you feel that the experience was not good value for money. I do hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future to restore your faith in our hotel.
Espoo, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

The hotel looks very nice, and it is in a very nice spot of Cambridge, so if looks is the most important for you, this is your hotel! For me, I value more the quality of the services, and there were few things that would make me to look for another hotels when I return to Cambridge:

1) Room: decor was nice, but some furniture really old. Worst thing was that the water pressure in the bathroom was really little, so showering was really annoying experience.

2) Breakfast: When they greet you at the entrance, they offer orange juice, nice... except that it is not fresh orange juice, which they also have available in the buffet. Why? My only guess is that to avoid people taking too much fresh orange juice... but who knows... Then, you don't have someone cooking eggs there for you, so you need to catch some waiter to ask for omelettes or fried eggs. And finally, they don't have water in the buffet, at least I didn't find it...

3) Room service: I order for starter a Ceasar salad, and then some chiken for main, but they gave me a main Ceasar salad instead of starter... Also the selection of food and drinks is very limited in my opinion.

All in all, I think I will choose some other hotel for the next time. I won't give name, so that I don't look biased.

Room Tip: River view is nicer
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Luar_LM
Dear Raul_Im
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I was pleased to read that overall you thought the hotel was nice and I also appreciate your constructive feedback regarding the services you experienced. The hotel was completely refurbished prior to becoming a DoubleTree by Hilton in 2008 and we are currently working on schemes to further enhance the bedroom product in the near future. Our most recent enhancements have been the complete refurbishment of the ground floor including the Riverside Brasserie and Twist Bar area. I was sorry to learn that the breakfast experience fell below your expectations. Our breakfast offering does not include freshly squeezed orange juice and I am sorry that both products offered did not taste the same. I do hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back again when next in Cambridge. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be pleased to take care of the arrangements personally for you. Kind regards Greg Crawford, General Manager
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

Ive stayed in the Doubletree a few times on business, most recently in September with my wife. Rooms are spotless, views over the Cam brilliant (if you've specified a river view room) and it's location is awesome for exploring the city on foot. As I was working I needed to use the car park which at £17.50/day on top of a £185/night room was a bit steep. Breakfast was excellent every day - we walked out & explored & ate out in evenings. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed September 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
General_Manager-GC, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this review, September 5, 2011
Dear Chrismb
Thank you for reviewing your stay at Doubletree Cambridge. We appreciate your loyalty as a regular guest and do hope you have signed up as a member of our Hilton Hhonors loyalty programme. The location is certainly the best, so peaceful, yet so central. Dinner is available in the Riverside Brasserie overlooking the River Cam and the floodlit gardens. We look forward welcoming you back soon. kind regards Greg Crawford