“Expensive but worth it”

Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Was a little apprehensive going here as the prices are pretty high (although not far off other nearby hotels) and there were some poor reviews on Trip Advisor. However I found it to be an excellent, quality hotel. I stayed in a junior suite with balcony overlooking the river. On arrival my car was parked for me and luggage taken to my room. The hotel is really close to the city centre and has a super bar and restaurant, although dinner in the restaurant was a little disappointing as my main course was cold. Breakfasts are buffet style, and frankly the best hotel breakfast I have had in some time. I will be going back to Cambridge soon and definitely staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: rooms with riverview / balcony are best
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
General_Manager-GC, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2011

Dear Lucy F
Thanks for reviewing our hotel. I was pleased to learn that overall your stay was good value for the price paid, the servcie met your expectations and that breakfast was the best hotel one that you've had. I was however disappointed that the dinner was not hot and I will certainly discuss the matter with our Head Chef to monitor this feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards Greg Crawford

Reviewed August 6, 2011

I use trip adviser to plan all our trips home and abroad so when I post a report I try to be as honest and fair as possible. After reading some of the reviews which I found a little mixed we were unsure what to expect. We arrived on 1st August for a three day trip. First thing is to be careful if you are using a sat nav to get you to the hotel . I believe the hotel has contacted the people who write the maps for the sat navs as there seems to be some problems. We arrived a little early and our room was not ready but my first inpression was how very helpful and pleasant the reception staff were.We were very surprised how upmarket the lobby and bar area were. We found no evidence of it being dated and tired like some other reviews remarked .I can only assume these people stay in some very swanky hotels. We were issued with room 208. What a lovely surprise! The room had two large patio widows which slid back to give a great garden and river view from the 2nd floor, a huge king size bed with quality linen .The room also had a very useful fridge and a nice large flat screen tv. The bathroom was clean and modern, again I cannot believe reports that they were tired looking. The breakfast was one of the best I have had in an hotel in the UK .Buffet style, there was plenty of choice and piping hot .The restaurant has atmosphre and style not offen found in hotel restaurants.One of the mornings it was very busy but the staff were excellent even the General Manager of the hotel , Greg Crawford, was pitching in to keep things moving. Also a young lady, I am unsure of her name, I think a french lady ,maybe the restaurant manager ,was remakable in her work rate helping cleaning tables, seating people , overall excellent staff.
The back of the hotel has a lovely outside sitting area which overlooks the river, a very pleasant area to watch the punters go by on a warm sunny day, yes the bar prices are higher than the pubs in town. I found that a pint in the hotel was £3-90 and outside around £3-30 but you are sitting in a lovely setting. The only negative I can find in the hotel was that not enough people seem to use the bar and lounge in the evenings because they are really nice. Maybe this is because of the prices as Cambridge town centre is only a few steps outside the hotel.To finally finish, we would without doubt recommend this hotel , the staff ,decor , restaurant , the position I could not fault.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank hopefarm22

Dear Storton
Thank you so much for the detailed review of your recent stay with us. We're very pleased to learn that all aspects of your stay were enjoyable. I will certainly pass on your comments to the reception team and restaurant supervisor as its good to see their service commitment does not go unnoticed. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards Greg Crawford

Reviewed August 5, 2011

I arrived on Wednesday evening, the hotel is not the most attractive from the outside but has a good car park at the rear and the Living Well health club.
On check in I was given a complementary upgrade to a suite which was really nice and the warm cookie which was a surprise as I haven't stayed at a Double Tree before.
The lobby and main areas were clean and professional and the suite itself was huge. The only issue I had was the hair dryer provided wasn't great but that's a very minor moan.
Breakfast is buffet style and although smaller than I expected there was a good selection and it was good quality too.
Overall I would definitely use the hotel again when staying in Cambridge however at £17.50 I did think that the car parking was expensive and this is the discounted rate for residents.

Room Tip: River view rooms are available and will give you a view of the Cam and punting.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business

Dear Porpo
Thank you for your review. Its great to hear that we were able to upgrade your room on arrival to one of our Junior Suites. These suites are certainly very close to the river and metres from the punts. I do hope we will see you back again soon. Regards Greg Crawford

Reviewed August 3, 2011

We stayed for one night and booked last minute as our dog was having surgery in Cambridge. The hotel lobby is modern and clean and in keeping with a four star hotel. Our room was very clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. The bathroom was modern and clean (and I have high standards). The location was perfect; it is right in the city centre on the river and it was a 5 minute walk to the shops and restaurants. The thing we liked the most about this hotel was the helpful staff. The reception staff were very supportive when we encountered a problem with our booking which we had made with lastminute.com (a company which we will never use again, due to their complete incompetence!) However, the hotel staff were very apologetic, even though it wasn't their fault and helped to resolve the issue for us. We would definitely return to this hotel for business or pleasure and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
General_Manager-GC, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2011

Dear The_Purple_Witch
Thanks for posting your review following your stay with us. I am really pleased to learn that your visit was fantastic and that the team were extremely helpful. It is always our aim to ensure our team are able to deal with all issues no matter the cause. I'm sure it was Vanessa who works on our front desk who managed to resolve the issue and I will certainly pass on your appreciation. Kind regards Greg Crawford

Reviewed August 1, 2011

We stayed here for a 3 night break at the end of July/beginning of August. We had a 3rd floor river view room with a king size bed and a nice balcony with 2 comfortable wooden chairs and a coffee table. The room was not very big, but comfortable and clean and had a brilliant view of the river near the boat landings, so we had a fun time watching people learning to punt. The fridge and AC were both quiet. I agree with other reviews that the water pressure in the shower on the 3rd floor wasn't great, but Cambridge is in the fens and it wasn't terrible either- if you do need a higher pressure shower then the ones in the pool changing rooms on the ground floor were fine.
There were 2 small bottles of water and a chocolate bar provided each day in the room.
There were weddings on all 3 days/nights that we were there and we did not find that there was any noise from the weddings in the room, or that we were in any way inconvenienced by the weddings. There is a separate riverside area that the wedding parties use, so there is no interruption in access to the very pleasant riverside terrace and seating area when there is a wedding on.

The pool was an OK size for a hotel pool, and positioned so that you could see people punting past the window at eye level while you swim. There is also a hot-tub and steam room.

The car parking was £17.50 per night, which seems a bit steep to me as we were staying in the hotel.
It is also worth mentioning that my satnav tried to take me along a no through road to get to the hotel, so I would suggest not being as silly as me and actually looking at a map of Cambridge before you go there.

We would certainly go there again, but perhaps would find out about the nearest public car park before we got there, or use the park and ride. The hotel is convenient for the sights of Cambridge and is about 10 minutes walk from the bus station , so we didn't actually use the car at all once we got there.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Our family of 4 stayed here and the end of a three week trip to the UK. Extremely helpful staff, very comfortable rooms, top notch location. Hotel is in the heart of old Cambridge, so very convenient for seeing the sights, and also sits right on the water, and is very peaceful and beautiful. Beds very comfortable, and property is clean and well maintained. No free wi-fi, which is one of my pet peeves, but computers available at no charge in the business center, so at least you can print a boarding pass. Needed an early breakfast before starting our journey home, so it was convenient to eat in the hotel. Perhaps the most expensive breakfast in all of England!!

Room Tip: Spent a little extra for a river view room--we thought it was worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Dear YPMEL
Thanks for posting a review. I'm really pleased to read that you had a peaceful, comfortable stay with us. Certainly the location is the best available for exploring the city. I'll be sure to pass on your thanks to the entire team for the great service. Hope to see you back soon.
Kind regards Greg Crawford

Best Parts:

The views from the balcony and bar are superb!

Check in was fast and friendly.

Gym and pool were very generous for a hotel.

Well equipped bar with my favourite whisky (rarity) and great staff (look out for Adam and Mark).

Perfect location, central but away from drunken loud 'yobos' of the night

Worst Parts:

Room was a little small for the price.

Hallways looked a bit dated in some parts of the hotel

Overall: My wife and I had a great stay and would certainly visit again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear technical_mike
Thanks for your review. It is always great to see our team members making a lasting impression with our guests. I will certainly pass on the great feedback to both Adam and Mark. We look forward to seeing you back soon. Kind regards Greg Crawford