“Great Scones”

Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed May 21, 2011

As it was such a lovely day, myself and my wife stopped off at the hotel to sample the tea and scones. We sat in the garden which was very pleasant and the scones were as fresh and as nice as scones could possibly be. If it wasn’t for the serving staff I’d have given the experience 5 stars, but sadly the service was hilariously bad. Read on to find out why ....

I asked for a scone with jam and butter, and instead got jam and cream. Fair enough I thought, I’ll just ask for them to bring me some butter. Sadly they came back with more cream. Still , not a problem as I could ask for butter again, but alas plastic pots of margarine arrived. Anyway, maybe fourth time lucky I thought and audaciously I asked again. This was a mistake. It made them cross; not as cross however as when I challenged their unlikely statement that the hotel did not have any butter. Still, I stood my ground, and they went to look for butter and hooray!! - I got my butter, but let’s just say the butter wasn’t delivered with a smile and leave it at that.

Anyway, a nice place to be, great scones, and staff that provided immense amounts of entertainment for my wife.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
General_Manager-GC, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2011

Dear Timberland65
Thank you for providing an overview of your recent experience in our Riverside Garden Terrace. I am pleased you enjoyed the scones however disappointed to learn that the service was entertaining for the wrong reasons. All feedback we receive is actioned upon and I thank you for this information. I do hope we may welcome you back soon.

There are newer reviews for Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre

Reviewed May 8, 2011

Good Location. The staff were very helpful and the restaurant, garden terrace and bar are very nice but the bedrooms are showing signs of wear and tear and the air conditioning is terrible - incredibly noisy and rubbish. Our room got so stuffy during the night both my wife & I could not sleep.

Cambridge is an expensive place to stay, but at a hefty £249 for a river view with breakfast (not much of a view on the first floor), I was disappointed.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 321 - very noisy. We were moved.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Infrequent_Flyer34

Dear Infrequent_Flyer34
Thank you for posting review following your stay with us. I was pleased to learn that you found the staff and environment pleasing however sorry to hear that you had a restless nights sleep due to the air conditioning. Please be assured I will investigate this issue in order to resolve the problem. I do hope we may welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed May 5, 2011

We had our wedding here and the experience was a mixed one. On the lead up to the wedding the service we received was nothing less than appalling - little to no communication and no consistency and we were passed around several different staff who were suppossed to be organising things. This left me approaching the big day with some trepidation - however, it couldn't have run more smoothly and the hotel staff handled everything superbly.

In terms of booking rooms the pricing structure and booking system is pretty incomprehensible - they claim to always give the best price if you go direct through their website yet, as many of out guests found, this is patently not the case.

We actually come into this hotel fairly regulary as it is in such a great spot and brings back happy memories. The hotel always looks immaculate but the service in the bar is invariably poor, despite it never being very busy.

All in all a mixed bag.

Room Tip: Shop around on the web rather than calling hotel
  • Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Mart12
Thank you for posting a review further to your visit to the hotel in October 2010. I am sorry to learn that you were not put directly in contact with our dedicated Wedding and Special Events team when you made your initial enquiry. On the other hand I am pleased to hear that the service was good and you had a memorable experience on the day. I do hope we may welcome you back soon.

Reviewed May 5, 2011

The hotel has a great location on the river cam. Probaly the best in Cambridge.The hotel is about a mile from the train station £6 by taxi. From the hotel its a pleasant 10 -15 minute walk to the centre.
The rooms were nice, clean although showing some signs of wear. The rooms at the rear have good views over the garden and river. I think most rooms at the rear have small balconys.
The bathroom had good quality toiletries, we did however have a problem with the shower having no water pressure.When we initally reported the problem we were told that you dont get water pressure like in London. I was a bit puzzled by that answer didn't see the relevance of London?
Eventually at the third attempt and going to reception we were moved.
Not the best service, you would expect better from a 4 star hotel.We found the hotel a bit noisey with guests coming back late and doors slaming also tried to have an afternoon nap at 5pm but cleaners were hoovering and slaming doors so gave up.
That aside, the hotel staff were very polite, the breakfasts were very good as was the evening food.
Cambridge is very nice and the botanic gardens are definitley were a visit.
Not sure I would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the rear are best
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GBviaggiatore
DTCambridge_10, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2011

Dear Gjk1
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the location and the garden view room. I will also pass on your positive feedback to the team regarding their politeness and the good food. I apologise that the water pressure was poor in your room and sorry that we could not move your room sooner. I do hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon. Greg Crawford, General Manager

Reviewed April 29, 2011

We took a little while to find the hotel car park as the road the hotel is on is tucked away on a little street near to the river.

First impressions were good when we found it though. Clean, modern with good neutrogena bathroom products. Staff went out of their way to help us with our small child.

Breakfast was a banquet with everything you could think of being made available.

The only slight complaint I have is that the bed and pillows were a little hard for me.

Over £150 for one night's stay is a lot of money to pay, but it is a lovely hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank ScampiNorwich

Dear Scampino
Thank you for your recent review of Doubletree Cambridge. I am pleased to learn that our team went out of their way to look after you and that you thoroughly enjoyed breakfast. I am sorry to learn that the bed and pillows were a little hard for you. We do have alternative foam bedding for our guests should the feather bedding and matress toppers be unsuitable. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Greg Crawford, General Manager

Reviewed April 23, 2011

Just arrived back from a three day stay in Cambridge staying in this hotel. I would agree with previous reviews that this hotel is not a cheap place to stay, but like most things in life, you get what you pay for. The south of England was basking in a heatwave while we were there, temperatures in the low 20s which is amazing for April. We could have been in no better place than this hotel. In the taxi from the train station the driver told us that we were going to the nicest hotel in the city so we knew we had made a wise choice even before we stepped inside. The beautiful garden off the bar reaches right down onto the river so we ended up spending way more time in the hotel than we had ever intended. The location is glorious, right in the city-centre, yet with a countryside feel when you are looking across the river to the fields and trees beyond. Everything was hasslefree, quick check-in, spotless room with small balcony and view of the river, good quality "Neutrogena" products in the bathroom!!, lovely cookies on arrival, and nice ones in the room on the tea/coffee tray too! The staff were extremely helpful and chatty. Although very busy with all the people in the outdoor garden area, they always had time to stop and have a word ( a girl called Stacey was particularly nice). The bar-food menu which we ate from a few days wasn't very extensive but the food each time was of a very high standard. I thought that the wine was expensive though( £8 for a 250ml glass of Sauvignon Blanc!) The pizza was to die for. Breakfast each morning was very nice, all the usuals you expect from a good hotel, including the snazziest pancake-making machine I have ever seen. Again, the view across the river from the dining room was glorious and a lovely way to start each day. The hotel has a great location, right nextdoor to Scudamores Punting so a trip on the river is a must. Lots of good restaurants nearby and it was an easy stroll up past King's Parade to the city-centre. A beautiful setting, I cannot wait to return!

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank MMMH

Dear MMMH
Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us. I was so pleased to learn that you had a most enjoyable time with us and that you can't wait to return. I will ensure that your complimentary comments are passed onto Stacey. Its great to see that all the hard work from the team does not go unnoticed. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Greg Crawford, General Manager

Reviewed April 22, 2011

We stayed at the Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge for two nights.Fancied a city break with our 3 children and mother in law.We had two rooms,one king size river view overlooking the river Cam.Spacious room with a lovely river view on the second floor.We liked the bathroom amenities by Neutrogena,lovely shampoo,conditioner,facial wash,bath gel and soap.Slippers brought to us on request.Excellent tea coffee tray and we also had complimentary sparkling,still water and bottle of red wine.Hotel also had prepared a nice welcome card and fruit plate which was a lovely touch.The Family room had one large bed and two singles which was perfect and added benefit of a balcony/patio.Both rooms very quiet and comfortable beds.Friendly,welcoming and efficient check in and enjoyed the warm chocolate cookie upon arrival.Must mention Isabella on the Front desk,superb member of staff and all members of the team were great.Breakfast was in the restaurant with a lovely view of the river and hotel grounds offering a good selection of hot and cold foods,fruits and breads.The smoothie was nice and tasty.We ate dinner on both nights in the hotel restaurant and we enjoyed both steak,salmon,pasta and kids menu dishes.Health club with complimentary usage of the pool,steam room,sauna and jacuzzi was a relaxing way to unwind after having walked around the city and working up an appetite for dinner.The hotel is in a great location and within minutes walking distance to all the sights and city centre.A big thank you to all staff at Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge for making our stay so comfortable and enjoyable.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank DAEHANMINGUG

Dear Daehanmingug
Thank you for such a detailed review following your recent stay with us. I was extremely pleased to read that we exceeded your expectations in all aspects. It is always our aim to ensure our guests have a comfortable and enjoyable stay with us. I will certainly ensure that Isabella is aware of your complimentary comments. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon. Greg Crawford, General Manager