“great stay!”

University Arms Cambridge
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed April 2, 2014

booked a standard room but were offered an upgrade which we took as we read that some of the rooms are awful, and yes it was a little dated [I understand a refurb is in progress]but for the price we paid was a great size ,perfectly clean and had everything we needed with the added attraction of views over the park. particularly loved the old style lift!! breakfast was great, and being cooked to order is always a bonus. the hotel is in a good position for the center of town and there is plenty of accessable parking on site [contrary to previous reviews] and £16 is not an unreasonable fee for Cambridge!
we would consider this hotel again if we came to Cambridge

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Christine G, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Dear s_kdavies

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Cambridge University Arms Hotel. The hotel does have a great location, so close to all Cambridge’s attractions and shops! As you mentioned, our prices do reflect the room décor, thus offering great value for money for a city centre hotel. Our Otis lift (dating back to 1927!), is often mentioned when guests stay and is one of the many individual quirks of the hotel, that our guests enjoy. I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast and coupled with the fact you are able to enjoy a view out of the window over-looking the famous Parker’s Piece is another added bonus when staying at the Cambridge University Arms!
Thank you again for your comments which I will feed back to all the team at the hotel.
We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Stayed at the hotel for one night on 29/03/2014. I had booked the simply du vine deal and stayed in a parkview room. I found the room spacious, was pleased with the little extras such as wine and chocolate provided, and loved the comfortable huge bed and view of the park! It is true that the room could do with a spruce up as the wallpaper is beginning to peel and some of the furniture is becoming old, unlike the pictures online. However, I was pleased with the room overall and the bathroom was fairly newly refurbished. I found the receptionists helpful and they amended my bill at the end of the stay without any issues due to a minor issue.

We ate in the r17 and although I will review this seperately go there for amazing food!!

We had breakfast in the morning and again I found this great. There is such a wide selection and my partner was particularly pleased at being able to have diabetic jam, and a muffin following this! He found the cooked breakfast a bit mediocre, although I had haddock and poached egg which was delicious.

The hotel is placed perfectly and I would come back if a similar offer came up again.

Room Tip: we stayed in a parkview room which was lovely

Dear Jennjob

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. The Parkview rooms are, as you say lovely rooms overlooking Parker’s Piece and indeed very spacious. We work hard on our customer service and often have fantastic feedback with regards to the hotel team, but often this is direct to the hotel and not published, so I again thank you for your comments. R17 is a great asset to the hotel and is currently rated 6 in the top 10 restaurants in Cambridge. We have taken note of your review of breakfast, and would like to let you know that we are currently reviewing our offering. I will let the chef know that you enjoyed the haddock and poached egg though!

Thank you once again for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

The hotels rooms and very run down, out of date and frankly quite seedy. Whilst the location of the hotel is good, there are many other options in the local of the city centre and near colleges. I
wouldn't recommend staying here is you want a pleasant memory of a stay in Cambridge.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Christine G, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Dear AndyFLondon

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvispor. Indeed, The Cambridge University Arms Hotel has great location, close to the Colleges, shopping areas and tourist attractions. The hotel has a number of different size rooms and various decor, however, the hotel is due for a refurbishment, which promises to restore the hotel to its former glory.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Stayed here 20/3 till 24/3 2014 and had an enjoyable weekend. Food good and staff very friendly and helpful. Ideally situated for touring the City. Beds very comfortable.There were 96 of us having a reunion and it went down very well.

Room Tip: Nearer the back of the hotel is Quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Christine G, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear Superscouse69

Thank you very much for your review of the hotel. It was a pleasure hosting your event. The University Arms Hotel, does makes an ideal venue for a Reunion,where you have all local attractions so close, to explore and discover. The hotel is also ideally located for shopping in Cambridge, with the Grand Arcade and John Lewis, only yards away from the entrance! We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon!

Reviewed March 23, 2014

I stayed here with a group of friends last weekend. I had booked a single room at £75. Upon arrival from the front, the building is a late 60's architectural travesty. Nothing like the pictures it shows on the web site. Those pictures are all taken from the rear of the building. I initially drove past the small underground car park. For information of future visitors, it is on the front right hand corner at the front of the building. Easy to miss as it is right next to the traffic lights and not signposted very well. The car park is VERY small. If you have anything larger than a mini then be prepared to do a 20 point turn to get your vehicle in or out of the bay.
The lobby is quite dark and needs updating as it looked very tired. I was given a single room on the third floor. Upon entering the room I was shocked at the standard of it. The paintwork was cracked and flaking, wallpaper peeling off the walls, the blind was wonky and didn't sit properly. The bathroom was on first inspection clean enough. It was like something from an eastern Europe 2 star hotel though. The lighting was dim, the shower reminded me of an old school shower. The flooring appeared clean but was covered in scratches and strange black scuffs. Plenty of clean white towels were provided along with free toiletries. I can at times accept if a hotel needs an upgrade but can not accept if it is dirty. As you can see in one of my pictures, there was thick old dust/dirt that had collected around the edge of the skirting and by the door. Disgusting. As I was due to meet the rest of my group and didn't want to upset them and make them aware of the state of my room, I waited for them to go to our planned activity and I spoke with reception out of their ear shot. Not wanting to cause a scene, I also waited for other guests who were checking in to leave the desk area. I mentioned the state of my room to reception. I was informed they would look to clean it again...... I then has to rush to catch up with my group.
Upon returning back to my room, I couldn't see any difference. The really obvious pile of dust was still by the door!!! There was no apology, no offer to change my room, nothing.
Breakfast the next day was held in the ballroom. This could be a fantastic room but it is so tired and run down that it really lets the place down. Parts of the carpet were thread bear and other parts held together with black masking tape. The curtains in front of what I assume was a stage, were frayed and falling apart. On a positive note, the view onto Parkers Piece is delightful and the food was lovely. The cooked to order food was hot and delivered quickly. The cold buffet items were plentiful and the items I had were nice.
The location of the hotel is perfect for a weekend away. Just be aware that it is NOT up to a 4 star standard. Upon checking out my bill was £91 as parking is £16 a night. I don't mind paying for secure city parking but £91 for my visit was defiantly NOT value for money due to the very poor standard of room provided. Very disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking Parkers Piece otherwise you may end up with a view like mine that looked...
1  Thank LisaG
Christine G, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear LisaG

Many thanks for your review. Your comments are very valuable to us and it is feedback such as yours that assists us in constantly reviewing our standards and quality delivery of service to our guests. I have been to look at the room, and there was not a pile of dust on the floor. The carpet does need replacing, which is planned within our refurbishment programme at the end of the year. This also applies to the Ballroom, which is, as you say, a lovely room, overlooking Parker's Piece.

The room you that you booked, was indeed small hence the price of £75 bed and breakfast, which is a fixed price and represents the size of the room.

I am pleased to read that you found the food and the service good at the Cambridge University Arms Hotel. We hear this on a regular basis from our customers, which finds us in a position of guests returning to us having experienced poor service in other, more expensive hotels.

I do sincerely hope you will afford us the opportunity to offer you a warm welcome back in the future, and not been deterred by the shortfall of our decor on this occasion. If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel.

Yours sincerely

Christine Gallop

Reviewed March 18, 2014

We booked as a "secret hotel" on laterooms, and was drawn in by the 4* rating and £99 overnoght fee. When we were told the hotel, and read the reviews, then a little disappointed. I concur with what is said on here, it really feels more like a 2 star. The decor in the room was certainly from the 1980s, showing a disregard for investment, but clean enough. The service was poor, no morning paper arrived and the car park cost £16 and we were not briefed on this. Location is very good though, right in the centre. I would advise this for anyone on a budget who is looking to stay central, and this comes up as a cheap place when compared to others for your night of stay. I would not advise this for anyone looking for a 4 star experience, say on a romantic weekend or whatever. It is not suited for this at all, trust me...

Room Tip: Ask if there have been any that have been renovated after Wham! were in the charts. Perhaps there a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Christine G, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Dear Mat L

Thank you for submitting your response on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Cambridge University Arms Hotel. Your review is very important to us and we value your feedback.
By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a better experience for you and other guests in the future.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Central location, just a couple of minutes walk to the city centre. This hotel offers parking for £8 per day which is a little gem in itself in the centre of Cambridge (just be warned that there is limited availability).

A warm and thorough check-in meant we were in our room within a matter of minutes. We upgraded to one of the refurbished rooms and would highly recommend it. The room was incredibly spacious and plush with a contemporary bathroom and sofa. Also included were bathrobes and slippers - making it a relaxing base after a busy day exploring (please note that we saw some of the standard rooms and they looked quite tired and dated and we probably would have been a bit disappointed with the style and comfort of these bedrooms). The room was spotless and clearly well looked after by the housekeeping team. The only downside of our room was that is was facing the main road and it was VERY noisy at night as drunken people made their way back home.

The main communal areas in the hotel need a little TLC but the location still made this hotel great value for money. The breakfast was delicious with ample choice and the large and relatively grand breakfast room overlooks a large green.park, which proved a lovely start to the day. Again, it's a little 'chintzy' but had enough charm and customer service to win us over.

We would stay here again but only in the refurbished rooms and we would request a room that did not face the main road.

Room Tip: Well worth upgrading if you're staying for a few days or if you like more contemporary and luxur...
1  Thank Gemmaleigh77
Andrew W, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Dear Gemmaleigh

Thank you very much for your review of your stay. By telling us what you liked about your stay, we can feedback to the employees at the hotel, which in turn is motivating and rewarding.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Yours sincerely,