“Central location”

Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Central location”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Good central location, easy walk to shops, tourist attractions and river. Not a vibrant modern hotel but despite decor being a little dated and ready for a revamp it has charm. Free wifi throughout, TV, kettle, toiletries etc. and the breakfast was brilliant (well worth the £14 if you had to pay for it).
As a city centre hotel it suffers from noise outside at night but that along with paying for car parking (£16 for over night, ie 2 days, as opposed to £25 a day in local car park!) and express checkout (bill through door at night but you don't have to pay that way!) is the norm nowdays for hotels so can't see why people moan about it. Can imagine it being even noisier when the students are back which may be an issue for light sleepers.
Admittedly step down from upper level car park is a bit keen, rattled our tow bar so would suggest going into underground bit instead.
Staff were happy to let us leave bags until check in and on check out and were all very obliging and friendly.
Prob a bit pricey for what you get decor/facility wise but it was generally clean and we thought it was worth it for the convenience and parking. No doubt when done up it will cost much more due to its location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear Bladette20,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay here at the University Arms. I really do appreciate the points you raise and I am sure that many other reviewers will find it helpful.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back to the University Arms in the near future.

Matthew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I was looking forward to our first break away for years and had seen the beautiful facade from the website photos, but the modern frontage was disappointing. When we arrived we were pleased to find a space in the car park (but shocked to have to pay an additional £16) and as we drove up the ramp heard a shocking crunch as the car bottomed out on an enormous step. On inspection having reached home there is about £100 worth of damage to the now cracked front bumper.

We were told by the rather cool reception staff that we could not check in until 3pm (although when we left we were expected to check out by 11am), but they took in our luggage while we ate in the bar. Food was good, if a little greasy and breakfast was fab. Room was small and dirty (dado rails dusty, bathroom grouting falling out, silicone moldy) and noisy being at the front. The carpet was threadbare in front of the bed, the bed so hard I woke up with pins and needles, there was no bedside light, no sewing kit, no stationery and the bill was shoved under the door during the night.

Overall a tired and shabby (but not in the chic way!) hotel that charges a premium.

Room Tip: Try to stay at the back facing the park
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MORSAL
Dear MORSAL,

Thank you for your recent post. I am deeply sorry to learn that you had scrapped your car bumper on the ramp leading to the upper car park. I appreciate the opportunity of pointing out the "enormous step" you speak of in 2 inches in height. Also, we have clear signage alerting drivers that there is a ramp leading to the top car park.

I must confess that I am surprised to learn that you where "shocked" at being asked to pay for the use of car parking in the centre of Cambridge. I am also grateful for the opportunity to point out that we go to great lengths to inform guests prior to their arrival that a £16 overnight fee will be requested. This can be found on all hotel websites, in the car parks themselves and indeed on the very confirmation of your hotel reservation we send out. Being a city centre hotel and limited parking (54 to be exact) space is valued at a premium.

Thank you for pointing out our standard check in and out times. Of course, should your room be available before hand then we would be happy check you in early. Also, late departures are available upon request.

I also welcome the opportunity to point out that we conduct regular market research to ensure that our room tariffs are in line with the Cambridge market and are also reflective of the accommodation facilities we offer.

I also note your comment "the bill was shoved under the door". The express check out facility is offered to all of our residents, so that they may avoid having to check out in the usual way if they wish (should time be a factor). This is simply another choice we try to offer our guests and I fail to see how it can be treated as a negative?

I remain delighted that your enjoyed your breakfast. I will be sure to pass this along for our kitchen teams.

Thank you once again and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the University Arms hotel in the near future.

Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Sadly this place has really seen better days. I gather they are in the midst of improving the rooms and it cant come quickly enough. Shame as its in a great place. But for the price was really not up to scratch.

Room Tip: book another hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear garethgreig,

Thank you for posting your recent feedback. It is true that some areas of our building require updating. I am pleased to report however, a planning application has been submitted for a comprehensive program of refurbishment. This application is with Cambridge City Council awaiting approval. We hope for an update very soon.

Thank you again for your review.

Chesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Room size good but bathroom rubbish- tiniest bath ever and shower had lost its power. Was clean but looked dirty as old. Bed small but comfy and pillows great. Breakfast ok- but you do have to specify clearly what you want and how you want it. Wasn't terrible but wouldn't go back. Also a wedding was there on the Saturday night which caused a lot of noise- note to self check if hotel is hosting a wedding prior to booking!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Katie G

Thank you for your recent post following your stay here at the University Arms. I am pleased that you enjoyed our central location and your room was a good size. It is true that some areas of our building require updating. I am pleased to report that a planning application for a comprehensive refurbishment program is with Cambridge City Council awaiting approval.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope for to opportunity of welcoming you back to the University Arms very soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I just got back from a 3 week holiday all over Europe, and the University Arms was my least favorite hotel. The building is beautiful and in a good location, but the staff are rude and not particularly attentive. The rooms are also super loud. It's not really worth the hefty pricetag to stay here. There are other hotels in the area that would be a better value.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank katieemerson
Dear Katieemerson,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I must say I am sorry to hear that you had an "average" experience with us.

While I appreciate your positive comments regarding the building and our central location, I am very surprised to learn that you found my teams to be rude and inattentive.
Please rest assured that we will be taking corrective steps to ensure that similar lapses in our usual high standard of guest care dose not reoccur.

Katieemerson, I am deeply sorry that your experience overall was not a positive one.
I hope the future may afford me the opportunity of welcoming you back to the University Arms so we can display first hand that your experience is not typical of our usual high standard in guest care.

Thank you again.

Oxford
Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

One feels that this hotel has seen better days. Its grand ballroom did not quite fit with the pokey room with a slightly musty air. Not bad value though and a decent breakfast. Also a good location on the edge of central Cambridge.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank branet
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Branet,

Thank you for your recent review, I'm pleased that you found our location convenient and breakfast enjoyable. It is true that some single rooms in our hotel are a little small however, I am please to inform you that plan for our refurbishment are well under way.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your review, and I hope to welcome you back to the University Arms in the near future.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed at the University Arms on bank holiday weekend, we stayed in a park view room. The room was very clean and it came with bathrobes and slippers ect, it was a large room with a great view of the park. I had seen some of the mixed review when we booked but we have a wonderful stay, the staff were very friendly and helpful, the breakfast was wonderfull.
It does have a dated entrance but do not let this put you off the building inside is grand and very well maintained. Cambridge is a lovely to visit and i would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Dear BriggsTraveler

Thank you for taking the time to review us, I am delighted that that you had an enjoyable stay and my team looked after you so well.

I appreciate your kind feedback concerning your "wonderful breakfast", I remain very pleased you enjoyed it.

Thank you once again, I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the university arms in the not too distant future.

Best Wishes