“Good location, very poor service”

University Arms Cambridge
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Abbeyleix, Ireland
“Good location, very poor service”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed for two days. The room was okay, reasonably comfortable but we expected more for the price. We booked dinner for our party but cancelled due to a disastrous experience at breakfast. We were left waiting for 45 minutes and when breakfast arrived it was a grease fest. Really very, very poor. We complained (something I rarely do, normally I'd rather just not return) but the 'supervisor' merely said they were busy that day. In my opinion this could be anticipated and either way its no excuse for staff who are apathetic and food that is sub par. I certainly won't be back, either will my colleagues.

Room Tip: Keep looking, this not the hotel for you.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Dear Richard R,

Thank you for your recent review. I must confess it has left me deeply concerned. I have made efforts both to find a reservation match and also to find a record of the compliant you raised on the day. Unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful on both counts, as I have no record of your complaint and no reservation for two nights under anything resembling Richard R over recent weeks.

Richard R, guest service delivery is something we pride ourselves on here at the University Arms and always strive to be exceptional. I am truly sorry that on this occasion we have appeared to have fallen short.

Therefore, I would invite you to contact me at you earliest convenience so that I may be afforded the opportunity of addressing your concerns. Then hopefully work to re-establish your faith in the University Arms and the service standards we strive to deliver.
I am contactable on matthew.morgan@universityarmshotel.com

Matthew Morgan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Lincoln
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Your a bit screwed staying in Cambridge. Just not enough rooms for all its visitors. This old hotel is ok but at £170 a night b+b make sure your on expenses.
Nice reception rooms and I enjoyed breakfast in the huge ballroom like dinning room.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Simon L

Thank you for your recent post following your visit over graduation. I am pleased that you enjoyed your individually prepared breakfast in our ballroom. I am also sorry that you feel that our bedroom price tariff is not reflective of our offering.

I am grateful for the opportunity of pointing out that we regularly conduct market research to ensure that we are reflective of others hotels in Cambridge.

Thank you once again Simon L for your review. I hope in the future I may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the University Arms.

Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I had read many reviews about this place, some not so complimentary. But having recently stayed there I can say that the staff snd management were excellent. We had a great room, and the bar staff, waiter staff and general managers were very accommodating. Definately coming back here

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Dale A
Dear Dale A

Thank you for your recent post following your visit to the University Arms Hotel. It is truly delightful to hear that my teams looked after you so well. I am very pleased that you had a "great room" and it obviously met with your expectations.

I am also very pleased that you will be "definitely coming back" to see us again. I would be grateful if you would make yourself known, so that I may welcome you back personally.
Thank you again Dale A and I look forward to welcoming back very soon.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had a great stay at the hotel, it was graduation weekend and also a wedding was being held there so it was very busy, but the staff (especially the lady on reception) were very attentive and made us feel like we were the only guests. We will certainly stay again and recommend to others.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Mel98765
Dear Mel98765

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay here at the University Arms Hotel Cambridge.

I am absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your stay and my team made you feel so very welcome, particularly front desk.

Thank you once again and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming back to the University Arms in the near future.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Mid week Cambridge is quiet and this hotel is very peaceful, breakfast was really good. A great place to go out and see Cambridge from 10 minute walk to the centre. Good service and although my single room was smaller than my usual bookings the bed was comfortable and all the facilities were there and well maintained the view from the room was an uninspiring brick wall but other rooms may have been better, over looking the parkland.
The staff were helpful and friendly and I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for a view of the park not the a/c units
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear Steven361,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at the University Arms.

I was delighted in reading your review and I am very pleased that you enjoyed a peaceful breakfast, our central location and you found your single room to be comfortable.

I look forward to welcoming your back to the University Arms in the near future.

Matthew
Ryde, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I'm a frequent guest at the University Arms and always enjoy my stays. The Reception and Restaurant staff are brilliant. From what I've seen, they treat everyone with thoughtful courtesy and unfailing cheerfulness. Nothing is too much trouble. This includes some guests whom I have seen and heard being quite unreasonably demanding and awkward.

I find the rooms, especially those overlooking Parker's Piece, extremely comfortable, and the public areas are genuinely splendid.

The DeVere web-site and LateRooms often offer outrageous bargains here. Why would anyone go anywhere else?

Room Tip: Try to get one overlooking Parker's Piece.
Dear DuncanW,

Thank you for your truly flattering review. I appreciate the kind sentiment with regard to our front desk team who you described as brilliant and thoughtful and unfailing cheeriness. I must confess my own personal interactions echo the same.

I am pleased that you enjoyed room and found it to be comfortable.

Matthew
Millom, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2013

A very pleasant stay from the minute we walked in, the location was good, good breakfast, bed very comfortable, and the air con was a godsend!!!
Very clean, staff very pleasant and obliging. Only negative, the décor in the room was tired,apart from that one of the nicest cleanest hotels we have stayed in!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Anita R

I was absolutely delighted in reading your review and I am very pleased that you enjoyed our central location, found your bed to be very comfortable and that you found our staff to be very helpful and obliging.

Anita R, I agree wholeheartedly that our air conditioning is a godsend given the recent weather!

I appreciate you taking the time to write this truly kind review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the University Arms very soon.